New martial powers

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

blade76
Explorer

New martial powers

Unread post by blade76 »

Anyone interested in coming up with new martial art powers for body hardening, atemi , chi mastery , special katas, martial techniques and zenjoriki for a game I'm running, it's set in the near future with advanced cybernetics and fringe science and tech being rapidly developed and martial arts having to evolve with the times, into new forms and powers to help retain an edge versus increasing complex technology and military tactics. Also in this world certain agencies have studied martial arts( which is becoming a new arms race) and created their own fighting arts and unique disciplines they teach operatives and soldiers.These martial arts complement skill sets giving an edge against non-martial forces.

I need powers for a special forces unit , a mystic sect which embraces technology( templars) to fight supernatural evil,an espionage agency, a warlord training an army to conquer a section of the asian continent( Infantry martial art) .I could create but it would seem like powergaming which is why I would like to ask for help making these powers.I would really appreciate the help.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: New martial powers

Unread post by Regularguy »

Anyone interested in coming up with new martial art powers for body hardening, atemi , chi mastery , special katas, martial techniques and zenjoriki for a game I'm running

Before we reinvent the wheel: do you have MYSTIC CHINA, with the new options for body hardening (shrug off poisons in between drinking folks under the table, deliver incapacitating strikes in between feigning injuries), atemi (blind one guy with a quick strike near the eyes, grapple another into awkwardly performing strikes for you), chi mastery (increase your chi reserves, the better to mystically inflict temporary insanity), katas (dodge chi attacks, damage supernatural creatures despite their immunity to physical attacks), martial art techniques (minimize the effects of a gunshot wound, survive on minimal food and water) and zenjoriki (splitscreen your consciousness, briefly become one with the universe), as well as all the new WPs (poisoned blowdarts if you can smuggle gear in, weapon improvisation if you can't) and martial arts (this one lets you excel at intimidation, that one lets you simply break out the paired firearms)?
blade76
Explorer

Unread post by blade76 »

Yes, I do but where my game is different is the limited ability offered by the book, the timeline for my game is in the early decades of the 22nd century of a world that never quite left the cold war era, new technologies are being developed (look at our timeline in 20 years we went from VHS to digital downloads, tv's became flat screens, computers that fit in your palm are as powerful as supercomputers of that time, the ones that take up the entire room).

All this in twenty years now imagine more than a century of tech development. NSS has jetpacks, cybernetics and miniaturized lasers,so a fair summation could be that , it is set in the not too distant future of the 22nd century as these gizmos require extremely advanced technology to create and implement, might even require a few rewrites of skill programs to reflect changes in technology , as technology as we know it is quite different from how Erick Wujcik would have imagined it when he wrote NSS.Imagine a world that saw weapons technology growth on that scale. Laser pistols from NSS would require really high tech equipment and tech base to pull off. Martial arts too will change to adapt to new realities such as cyborg supersoldiers, new martial techniques and powers developed by secret sects, advanced body hardening and chi powers to enable survival against high tech powers etc.

That's why I need help, just as technology advances, martial arts will also advance, new students will become masters and create new forms, new body hardening will be developed to either serve as unique skill sets to elite soldiers , henchmen etc, same for other martial art powers not only to retain parity with various other groups, those behind the curve don't last for very long either being co-opted or destroyed by more powerful groups.So anyone interested in helping out?
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Imagine a world that saw weapons technology growth on that scale. Laser pistols from NSS would require really high tech equipment and tech base to pull off. Martial arts too will change to adapt to new realities such as cyborg supersoldiers

I'm still not sure I follow you.

Take, say, the Iai-Jutsu and One Shot techniques, which already work with any weapon. They worked with crossbows back when; they work with firearms at present; they'll work with laser pistols in the future; they automatically adapt to help you win initiative or play ray-gun sniper or whatever.

Of course, an art like Monkey Style kung fu won't grant access to those techniques in the future; it will, though, still let your attacks look accidental, even when viewed with nifty equipment. It'll likewise let you keep engaging in mystic invisibility -- making a cyborg's human brain ignore what a bionic eye can spot -- sure as you can still use negative chi to enslave/control this or that supersoldier no matter how strong his robot limbs. And if you happen to be a WMA working that art (or any other), discorporation will still let you avoid even the most high-tech attacks when fully rejuvenating yourself for yet more chi hijinks -- though you can of course still get the win by playing dead, as you can now, as you could back in the day.

And if that's not quite your style -- well, no matter what the other guy's weapons, you can already super-dodge with Body Chi or deflect fire with Hard Chi -- and you can already make him back down with the Calm Minds zenjoriki or the "Unnerve At The Outset" kata. Or whatever. So help me out, here: what, exactly, do you think they'll need in the future that existing arts won't be able to provide?
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”