Trading Powers for skills (N&SS)

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Trading Powers for skills (N&SS)

Unread post by psam_rage »

I was wondering if Fox-Spirits can trade martial art powers for skill programs like everyone in the main book?

I wanted to trade 2 of my starting Chi Mastery choices for Skill Programs.

I wanted to try something new by playing a fox spirit, but the lack of skill make them terrible in a non-combat sense unless their cover (I want to keep the fact that they are a fox spirit secret from the party for as long as possible) is that of a linguist.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Trading Powers for skills (N&SS)

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are the GM than you can give the FS more skills then normal for a PC.

If you are the player, I would ask you GM for a favor to let your char have the skills. but you need to write out a background that encompasses the whys and wherefores of how she got the skills.

As to your question, No they would not be able to trade the powers for skills.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Trading Powers for skills (N&SS)

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Drewkitty is right. the answer is no.

It's standard for martial arts classes to trade in martial arts powers for skill packages because, well, learning any martial art takes years, and if you skip classes for the couple years it takes to learn how to focus your Chi, that's time you could spend becoming fluent in 5 different languages or suchlike.

Fox Spirits chi abilities are innate at starting level: they were born knowing how to focus their Chi, they didn't spend years learning how, and thus can't substitue that time for anything else. Because they never spent it in the first place.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”