A quarterstaff-focused martial art?

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

A quarterstaff-focused martial art?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Anyone ever consider a martial art dedicated to the quarterstaff, rather than other weapons like swords? Seems like it's a missing MA given the devotion some have put into mastering the use of the quarterstaff in a range of ways beyond the less devoted.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mantisking
Hero

Re: A quarterstaff-focused martial art?

Unread post by Mantisking »

Nightmask wrote:Anyone ever consider a martial art dedicated to the quarterstaff, rather than other weapons like swords? Seems like it's a missing MA given the devotion some have put into mastering the use of the quarterstaff in a range of ways beyond the less devoted.

Ummm, how about Isshin Ryu?
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
Nightmask
Palladin

Mantisking wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Anyone ever consider a martial art dedicated to the quarterstaff, rather than other weapons like swords? Seems like it's a missing MA given the devotion some have put into mastering the use of the quarterstaff in a range of ways beyond the less devoted.

Ummm, how about Isshin Ryu?

Seems a bit weak compared to what I was thinking, as it notes it's more of a defensive art and weak on the offensive side. I was thinking something more focused and useful on the offensive end, similar to Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu but for the quarterstaff.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Seems a bit weak compared to what I was thinking, as it notes it's more of a defensive art and weak on the offensive side. I was thinking something more focused and useful on the offensive end, similar to Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu but for the quarterstaff.

Of course, Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu already includes WP Bo Staff if you don't have a sword at hand. That said, Te ain't bad if you want notes indicating a "strongly offensive form of martial arts that also includes weapon skills"-- namely, one that not only includes fine bonuses but also leapfrogs the free WP Bo Staff kata +2 levels ahead.

(That said, I'd gladly look past the notes if I were playing an Isshin-Ryu stylist who automatically starts off with the Fortress Penetration kata and can learn to use Body Chi for punishing staff work thanks to his +10-and-then-doubled chi; that could make for an solid boost to PP and PS...)
Nightmask
Palladin

Regularguy wrote:

Of course, Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu already includes WP Bo Staff if you don't have a sword at hand. That said, Te ain't bad if you want notes indicating a "strongly offensive form of martial arts that also includes weapon skills"-- namely, one that not only includes fine bonuses but also leapfrogs the free WP Bo Staff kata +2 levels ahead.

(That said, I'd gladly look past the notes if I were playing an Isshin-Ryu stylist who automatically starts off with the Fortress Penetration kata and can learn to use Body Chi for punishing staff work thanks to his +10-and-then-doubled chi; that could make for an solid boost to PP and PS...)

Hmmm, I do tend to forget about Body Chi, it just seems too easy for a character to pump out some absurdly large stat boosts for very little energy expenditure (I don't mind high stat boosts just feels like it could do with a bit more cost). I need to keep it more in mind when pondering things, although such stats shouldn't be considered an essential consideration because not every character with access to Chi skills selects Body Chi.

Mantisking
Hero

Mantisking wrote:Ummm, how about Isshin Ryu?
Nightmask wrote:Seems a bit weak compared to what I was thinking, as it notes it's more of a defensive art and weak on the offensive side. I was thinking something more focused and useful on the offensive end, similar to Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu but for the quarterstaff.
Regularguy wrote:Of course, Zanji Shinjinken-Ryu already includes WP Bo Staff if you don't have a sword at hand. That said, Te ain't bad if you want notes indicating a "strongly offensive form of martial arts that also includes weapon skills"-- namely, one that not only includes fine bonuses but also leapfrogs the free WP Bo Staff kata +2 levels ahead.

How about the three level boost Isshin Ryu gets to W.P. Bo at 2nd level?

Regularguy wrote:(That said, I'd gladly look past the notes if I were playing an Isshin-Ryu stylist who automatically starts off with the Fortress Penetration kata and can learn to use Body Chi for punishing staff work thanks to his +10-and-then-doubled chi; that could make for an solid boost to PP and PS...)

But the Double Existing Chi bonus doesn't hit until 14th level???
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Oh, make no mistake; I like it just fine. But since Nightmask had already ruled out Isshin Ryu for seeming a bit weak -- "as it notes it's more of a defensive art and weak on the offensive side" -- and I was curious as to whether Te impressed him (seeing as how it's noted to be "strongly offensive").

But the Double Existing Chi bonus doesn't hit until 14th level???

IMHO, it can still be pretty danged useful until then, and more so after.
Nightmask
Palladin

Regularguy wrote:

Oh, make no mistake; I like it just fine. But since Nightmask had already ruled out Isshin Ryu for seeming a bit weak -- "as it notes it's more of a defensive art and weak on the offensive side" -- and I was curious as to whether Te impressed him (seeing as how it's noted to be "strongly offensive").

Well I'm not closed to evidence that it isn't as weak for what I was thinking as my initial impressions of it were.

Mantisking
Hero

Nightmask wrote:Well I'm not closed to evidence that it isn't as weak for what I was thinking as my initial impressions of it were.

Mantisking wrote:Isshin Ryu
Ent. Req.: None.
Skill Cost: 10/6 years (Primary/Secondary).
Stat. Bonuses:
Chi +10
P.S. +1
P.P. +1
P.E. +1
Spd. +3
S.D.C. +10
(Total Bonus +10 Chi/+6 Phys.&Ment. stats./+0 S.D.C.)
ApM: 3@1 (6 total)
MAP: 5@1 (including 1 weapon kata & 1 special kata)(8 total, Martial Arts Techniques, Special Kata, Chi Mastery access added @ 4th)
Zenjorike: 1@15
Roll w/Punch/Fall/Impact +6
Parry +4
Dodge +4
Strike +3
Damage +2
Maintain Balance +4
(Total Bonus: 23)
Critical Strike: from Behind @ 1st, 20 @ 1st, 18+ @ 5th.
Knockout/Stun: from Behind @ 1st, 19+ @ 6th.
Deathblow: 20 @ 8th.
Double Chi @ 14th
Add 3 levels to W.P. Bo at @ 2nd (skill increase).
Combat Moves: 20
Skills: 11

Solid bonuses, Excellent skill with the Bo, and the second most amount of skills -- along with Cha Ch'uan and Fu Chiao Pai.
Mantisking wrote:Te
Ent. Req.: None.
Skill Cost: 8/5 years (Primary/Secondary).
Stat. Bonuses:
P.S. +1
P.P. +1
P.E. +1
Spd. +2
S.D.C. +10
(Total Bonus +0 Chi/+5 Phys.&Ment. stats./+10 S.D.C.)
ApM: 3@1 (8 total)
MAP: 5@1 (including 2 weapon kata)(8 total, Body Hardening Exercises, Martial Arts Techniques, Special Kata)
Roll w/Punch/Fall/Impact +6
Parry +5
Dodge +5
Strike +4
Damage +6
(Total Bonus: 26)
Critical Strike: from Behind @ 1st, 19+ @ 6th, 18+ @ 15th.
Knockout/Stun: from Behind @ 1st, 20 @ 5th.
Deathblow: 20 @ 11th.
Combat Moves: 18
Skills: 8

A solid combat style, excellent with weapons. This should more accurately be called Okinawan Kobojutsu as Te is actually something very different.

The biggest difference is the Damage bonus and ApM, but Isshin Ryu has more Combat Moves and Skills. Otherwise Isshin Ryu gets there faster with W.P. Bo, Critical Strikes, and Deathblow.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”