Favorite Martial Arts pairings

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Favorite Martial Arts pairings

Unread post by Nightmask »

So what two martial arts do you tend to like to go with for a character, or otherwise feel just perfectly complement one another and make a great mix together?

I tend to favor Tae Kwon Do and Zanji Shinjinken Ryu. They have equal attacks starting out, the character is as capable unarmed as armed, and the starting MA available to them are able to be used by both techniques without restriction unlike most others. So in selecting Iron Hand and Chi-Gung for the Tae Kwon Do MA and Iai-Jutsu with Zanshin on the Zanji side (or any other mix) provides good benefits to the character whether fighting with bare hands or his swords.

A second favorite is Tai-Chi and Ch'in Na as you've the Tai-Chi when trying to be more passive and less directly harmful towards someone and good ability to be helpful with Chi-Healing but able to inflict some serious crippling moves onto a target if forced to resort to Ch'in Na and thinking more aggressively.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: Favorite Martial Arts pairings

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

I've found in personal experience that Kyokushinkai Karate and Zanji Shinjinken Ryu make for quite a powerful combo. Zanshin and Iai Jutsu combined with Tamashiwara and Iron Hand make for a deadly opponent whether armed or unarmed. A particular phrase coined by my GM about the character I made with this combination was "He's dangerous with a sword, but if he puts it away, you're in real trouble." Combine all of that with the Chi Mastery he picked up later and he turned into one bad mutha shut yo mouth.

Aikido and Chao Ta made for a pretty good combination once as well. A guy who could throw you around the room, kick your butt up around your ears and look good doing it. Pairing those with Reflex Training Technique and the Tai Chi and Kick Boxing skills from Rifter 7 makes for a pretty nasty guy to get on the bad side of.

Finally, there was the pairing of just about any MA form with Triad Assassin Training. If the other form gave you MA Techniques, so much the better. Zanshin + Triad Assassin = scary martial artist with a gun. Add in the Kick Boxing skill from Rifter 7 again to beef up the Triad training and suddenly the gunman has a few extra tricks up his sleeve to unleash upside your head.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Triad Assassin plus Moo Gi Gong is one of the best match-ups if you're concerned with weapon skills, since you can use any ancient weapon and any found object as a weapon so even if you run out of ammo or someone disarms you they're going to be quite unhappy to find out you aren't so helpless without those guns (and many people will tend to think that a guy who seems to rely on guns is helpless without them). Zanji is more limited since you only have a few set weapons that work with it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Actually, anything combined with Lee Kwan Choo & Pao Chih-you can combine the bonuses to Any MA to LKC, & Pao Chih is basically Armor, has 3 attacks max, +3 to initiative.
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
cms6317
D-Bee

Unread post by cms6317 »

So far, my favorite combo has been Snake Style Kung Fu and Tien Hseuh.
Low on attacks, but mega powerful for Chi and Atemi.
If you can somehow swing a 3rd Martial Art (like they offered in the 1st edition of N&SS), add Tai Chi Chuan for more chi, more powers, and auto-dodge.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

The aikido and tai chi combination has been a long time favorite of mine, but recently I've tried to get over my aikido addiction. I've kept the tai chi but I'm using Lee Kwan Chu instead of the aikido. Instead of bodyflip to do some damage and take away an attack, lee kwan chu does less damage but stuns for a longer duration. Trying to achieve a more pacifist martial artist.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”