Clothing Gimmicks

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mantisking
Hero

Clothing Gimmicks

Unread post by Mantisking »

New Clothing Gimmick
Insulated Clothing:
This outfit has been modified so that it is electrically insulated. Game Effect: The wearer is immune to the effects of tasers and stun-guns. Cost: $1,000
Last edited by Mantisking on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Re: [Clothing Gimmick] Insulated Clothing

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

Mantisking wrote:New Clothing Gimmick
Insulated Clothing:
This outfit has been modified so that it is electrically insulated. Game Effect: The wearer is immune to the effects of tasers and stun-guns. Cost: $1,000

Nice :ok: I'm surprised I haven't seen/thought of this before.
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Mantisking
Hero

Re: Clothing Gimmicks

New Clothing Gimmick
Sealed Clothing:
This outfit has been modified so that the person wearing it will not leave behind biological traces (skin cells, hair, etc). It includes gloves and a full face mask/hood/breath-mask in secret pockets. Game Effect: The wearer will not leave behind biological traces at a crime scene. Cost: $10,000
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Insulated Clothing:

Would limit it to electrical based Stun guns.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mantisking
Hero

Insulated Clothing:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Would limit it to electrical based Stun guns.

There are non-electric stun guns?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Mantisking wrote:
Insulated Clothing:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Would limit it to electrical based Stun guns.

There are non-electric stun guns?

I was being literal minded, and *adding in a bit of humor* was using my connection to the 'Munchkin Within' to see how munchkins could twist and turn the descriptive text to there advantage while ignoring the spirit/context of the Text.

Yes, you have to be thinking PB system wide. There are the Antorien sonic stun guns in AU, there are the psi stun guns in PW are a couple examples.

If just limiting to the classical age of superspyes (i.e. oo7 Bond) then nope, only electrical.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Woven Antenna Web
This article of clothing (trenchcoats are a favorite) has a grid pattern of tiny wires woven into the fabric of the garment.
Game effect: Works much like the Cybernetic Implant Arm and Leg Antenna Web, increasing the range of radios or cel phones used by the agent tenfold. Possibly even reaching orbital satellites.
Cost: $10,000, and increase garment weight by 5 lbs.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Lord Z
Hero
Comment: Court of Tarot author

Unread post by Lord Z »

Tin Foil Hat
This hat is a piece of thin and soft metal, often aluminum or tin, folded into the shape of a pirate hat or molded around the head. The foil need not be clean. It protects the wearer from thought-stealing alien conspirators.
Game Effect: There is a considerable placebo effect involved in all forms of mind control. Simply by believing one is protected from influence can be enough to resist a very real influence. When the target wearing a tin foil hat is targeted for any type of mind control technique, that target gains an extra saving throw in order to resist the effect with no bonuses. This extra saving throw is applied to hypnotic, drug-induced, dark chi, psychic, and magical methods of affecting the thoughts of another person. Wearing a tin foil hat also has the effect of making the person appear much less reliable, attractive and sane. Percentile based social abilities like the Seduction Skill and M.A. bonuses are cut in half.
Cost: Free from many dumpsters.

Inspired by: Prysus' recent brilliant article for the DriveThruRPG Weekly Newsletter
Currently recruiting for Beyond the Supernatural games in 2019 which I am running on Discord: voice, text, and play-by-post. Here is the non-expiring server invite link: 418BQSLG

“All would be well. All would be heavenly— If the damned would only stay damned.”
-- Charles Fort, The Book of the Damned, 1913
Mantisking
Hero

Mercdog wrote:Woven Antenna Web: This article of clothing (trenchcoats are a favorite) has a grid pattern of tiny wires woven into the fabric of the garment. Game effect: Works much like the Cybernetic Implant Arm and Leg Antenna Web, increasing the range of radios or cel phones used by the agent tenfold. Possibly even reaching orbital satellites. Cost: $10,000, and increase garment weight by 5 lbs.

I think it would be good as a pin-stripe suit. Other than that, it might set off metal detectors and it'll probably act as a Faraday Cage for any electrical items under the clothing itself.

Lord Z wrote:Tin Foil Hat: This hat is a piece of thin and soft metal, often aluminum or tin, folded into the shape of a pirate hat or molded around the head. The foil need not be clean. It protects the wearer from thought-stealing alien conspirators. Game Effect: There is a considerable placebo effect involved in all forms of mind control. Simply by believing one is protected from influence can be enough to resist a very real influence. When the target wearing a tin foil hat is targeted for any type of mind control technique, that target gains an extra saving throw in order to resist the effect with no bonuses. This extra saving throw is applied to hypnotic, drug-induced, dark chi, psychic, and magical methods of affecting the thoughts of another person. Wearing a tin foil hat also has the effect of making the person appear much less reliable, attractive and sane. Percentile based social abilities like the Seduction Skill and M.A. bonuses are cut in half. Cost: Free from many dumpsters.

Inspired by: Prysus' recent brilliant article for the DriveThruRPG Weekly Newsletter

That is funny. :lol:
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Mantisking wrote:
Mercdog wrote:Woven Antenna Web: This article of clothing (trenchcoats are a favorite) has a grid pattern of tiny wires woven into the fabric of the garment. Game effect: Works much like the Cybernetic Implant Arm and Leg Antenna Web, increasing the range of radios or cel phones used by the agent tenfold. Possibly even reaching orbital satellites. Cost: $10,000, and increase garment weight by 5 lbs.

I think it would be good as a pin-stripe suit. Other than that, it might set off metal detectors and it'll probably act as a Faraday Cage for any electrical items under the clothing itself.

True. Probably a gimmick that is best used when working in remote areas in the field, where cel towers and such are sparse, rather than in urban settings where detection equipment is more prevalent.

Thermal Masking Suit
Simply put, the Thermal Masking Suit is a body suit with a full mask and gloves that is made out of a material that insulates the wearers body heat, making them appear invisible to thermal detection devices. A major drawback is that the garment can only be worn for short periods, as the insulation prevents body heat from escaping and can cause heat exhaustion, or even heat stroke in the wearer if worn for extended periods.
Game Effect: Makes the wearer undetectable to automated thermal sensors and gives people using thermal sensors a -40% penalty to their use to detect the wearer.
Penalties:Characters wearing thermal masking beyond their PEx30 minutes will begin to feel the effects of heat exhaustion. For every half hour beyond that time, a cumulative -1 penalty applied to Strike,Parry,Dodge, Initiative, and -5% to skills.
Cost:$2500

Probably made that one unnecessarily complex, but it's what came to mind.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
Mantisking
Hero

Mantisking wrote:I think it would be good as a pin-stripe suit. Other than that, it might set off metal detectors and it'll probably act as a Faraday Cage for any electrical items under the clothing itself.
Mercdog wrote:True. Probably a gimmick that is best used when working in remote areas in the field, where cel towers and such are sparse, rather than in urban settings where detection equipment is more prevalent.

Makes sense to me.

Mercdog wrote:Thermal Masking Suit: Simply put, the Thermal Masking Suit is a body suit with a full mask and gloves that is made out of a material that insulates the wearers body heat, making them appear invisible to thermal detection devices. A major drawback is that the garment can only be worn for short periods, as the insulation prevents body heat from escaping and can cause heat exhaustion, or even heat stroke in the wearer if worn for extended periods. Game Effect: Makes the wearer undetectable to automated thermal sensors and gives people using thermal sensors a -40% penalty to their use to detect the wearer. Penalties:Characters wearing thermal masking beyond their PEx30 minutes will begin to feel the effects of heat exhaustion. For every half hour beyond that time, a cumulative -1 penalty applied to Strike,Parry,Dodge, Initiative, and -5% to skills. Cost:$2500.

This is more a piece of equipment than a gimmick.

Mercdog wrote:Probably made that one unnecessarily complex, but it's what came to mind.

Doesn't seem too complex to me.
Mantisking
Hero

Insulated Clothing:

Revised
Insulated Clothing:
This modification adds a non-conductive layer to a selected piece of clothing. Bonuses: The character is immune to the effects of tasers and stun-guns unless hit on bare skin. Cost: $100 per piece of clothing.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”