martial arts

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dargo83
Dungeon Crawler

martial arts

Unread post by dargo83 »

which martial arts style has the most number attacks and r there any other things to increase the number of attacks
Mercdog
Hero

Re: martial arts

Unread post by Mercdog »

FaerieKnight wrote:No matter where your from (super hero or what not) if you take a style you do NOT get the +2 attacks for being a player character. In fact, as of Rifts Ultimate the H2H skills now just say they give 4 attacks instead of 2+character bonus.

I personally ignore that note in my games and give the martial artist the +2 attacks in addition to those from his forms.

As far as beginning attacks per melee, Fong Ngan/Pheonix Eye style martial artists begin with 4 attacks per melee, but the martial artist only gains 2 more by the time he masters the style.
Thai Kickboxing offers 3 attacks per melee to start, but by the time the martial artist has mastered the style, he's got a whopping 9 attacks per melee.

Note that these examples do not include any of the other possible ways to up your attacks per melee that FaerieKnight mentions above.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think of is the top 10 Martial arts?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

gaby wrote:What do you think of is the top 10 Martial arts?

They're too well balanced to actually make a top 10 list. one or two are overpowered adn clearly in the top of the pile, but other than that, it really depends more on playstyle.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

gaby wrote:What do you think of is the top 10 Martial arts?

Top 10 Martial Arts forms (Compiled from N&S, Mystic China and Rifter 7)

10. T'ang Su Karate (N&S pg 106): Overall a pretty decent form with several options for attacking and a solid defense. The choice of powers can really make this form pretty brutal (combine Tamashiwara with the combo Grab/Head Bash... big time ouchies) It's real drawback comes from a lack of the internal arts (Chi Mastery and Atemi) but great for just basically kicking ass

9. Thai Kick Boxing (N&S pg 107): A wide range of devastating and blindingly fast kick attacks and a total of 9 attacks by level 14, all of which could be delivered in the first attack of the melee round with the Lightning Form kata, you're talking about a guy that could potentially knock your head off within the first 5 seconds of a fight! A very distinct lack of martial arts powers is the only real drawback I can see, but with judicious skill choices this can be easilly overcome.

8. Tien Hsueh Touch Mastery (N&S pg108 and MC pg 199): Without a doubt, one of the deadliest forms in existence. I have seen players with super-powered villain bashers turn tail and run at the sight of a guy that takes up this fighting stance. It can be almost comical. The universal reason; the dreaded Dim Mak! And then I got Mystic China and my super powered villain bashers were suddenly afraid to answer the phone for fear of the insidious Long-Distance Dim Mak! You want power? Try using the power of fear! Sorely lacking in any real combat ability, but never ever underestimate the fear of inevitable death!

7. Zanji Shinjinken Ryu (N&S pg 113): A personal favorite, my first N&S character was a Dedicated Martial Artist with this as his secondary form. I've always been a big fan of the Japanese sword arts and this form really worked for me. Deadly attacks, strong defenses and a healthy dose of martial arts powers made this a great form to have. The only drawback is just as the book says; "A deadly martial art that has the single disadvantage of being dependant on a weapon for effective combat".

6. Triad Assassin (MC pg201): Another form that is dependant on a weapon even more so than Zanji Shinjinken Ryu, but with the benefit of that weapon being a gun! Great for the martial artist that wants a good modern approach to modern combat, but with a serious disadvantage in having absolutely NO training in the higher forms of martial arts disciplines (ie: NO Martial Arts Powers!)

5. Savate (Rifter 7 pg 80): I like to call this form "Muay Thai with style"! Not as many attacks as Thai Kick Boxing (full mastery gives 7, barring Boxing and other additional attack methods), but it's fast and effective while still remaining a very graceful form. Not very strong on the power selection (a total of 3 by level 14) so choose wisely.

4. Kyokushinkai Karate (N&S pg 94): Another personal favorite, this was the primary form of my earlier mentioned character. The simplest way to look at this form; Whatever you hit, you can destroy. Period. Solid training in the martial arts powers (4 to start and 9 by full mastery at level 15), the strongest attack stance I've seen and good defense. Multiple attackers can be a problem, so take advantage of building SDC.

3. Krav Mahga (Rifter 7 pg 45): What a kick ass form! A solid range of attacks, punishing grappling techniques, A Death Blow on a nat 20 at 1st level, and a Critical Strike range that, at full mastery of the form, can NOT be topped! This form is made for someone who wants to kick ass quick and dirty! It's like Jujitsu with a bad attitude and Rabies. It's only drawback is no training in martial arts powers and a poor level of real defense (a mere +3 to Parry/Dodge by level 10). Better build up that PP!

2. Jeet Kun Do (Rifter 7 pg 42) AND Gui Long Kung Fu (MC pg 182): Sorry. I know you said the top 10 and this will tecnically make the list 11, but I simply cannot decide which one of these belongs on the list. Jeet Kun Do... what can be said about it that everyone else doesn't already know. Sure it was created by the Master himself, the legendary Bruce Lee, but what really sets it apart is how it revolutionized the martial arts with its streamlined techniques and simple, basic approach to combat by eliminating the ceremony of a martial art and just getting down to the business of seeing an openning and exploiting it with a fast precision strike. Where many martial art forms are like hammers or maybe even swords in combat, Jeet Kun Do is a razor. A quick flash of light that leaves you bleeding before you realize you've even been hit.
Gui Long. Again, I can only admit I am a fan of the sword arts and this one represents the ultimate expression of them. A martial art form that takes to heart the principle of a weapon, particularly a sword, being a living extension of one's self. And, while other weapon based forms are relatively weak when the warrior is unarmed, this is not the case with Gui Long. Even without a sword in hand, the martial artist still has a decent array of combat techniques to choose from as well as a nice selection of powers to use.

and finally the Number 1 Martial Arts Form (at least on my list) is.....

1. Aikido (N&S pg 84): This has got to be one of the best forms in the book for me. I made a character with this form and he was unstoppable. Starting off with Atemi Abilities, Chi Mastery and Zenjoriki powers at level 1, it is definately not lacking for internal power. Solid defensive bonuses and a wide range of defensive techniques from parrying and dodging to throwing and grappling. it's only real weakness is its distinct lack of real attack capabilities! But, a well placed Knife Hand Knockout and there's one less opponent to worry about for a little while. I say, let them come and watch them fall or fly! I've also found it is one of only 4 Exclusive forms that can be taken by an OCC other than the Dedicated Martial Artist (A Free Agent Thief can select it at the cost of 4 secondary skills. The other 3 are Wui Wing Chun, Wu Shu T'Sung PRC Kung Fu and Tien Hsueh Touch Mastery, all of which can be selected by the Commando Mercenary at NO extra cost)

There's my list. How about yours? ;)
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Mantisking
Hero

Unread post by Mantisking »

dargo83 wrote:which martial arts style has the most number attacks and r there any other things to increase the number of attacks

Check here.
"I know twenty-six different points on your body I could hit and release enzymes into your brain to compel you to tell the truth -- Talk!"
Barry Ween, The Adventures of Barry Ween Boy Genius, Monkey Tales #3

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”