Chi Master versus a Promethean from Phase World!!!

Mysticism, spies, cybernetic implants, & cool vehicles. Discuss these two great classics here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Chi Master versus a Promethean from Phase World!!!

Unread post by Kovoston »

Who would win, a Promethean or a Chi Master!

One of my players pulled a slick one on me as they encountered a Promethean. He swears that a chi blast would vanquish any Promethean and the Chi is NOT like magic or psionics. His arguement got me thinking...
Anyone want to weigh in on this one??
Thanks,
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Chi Master versus a Promethean from Phase World!!!

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Kovoston wrote:Who would win, a Promethean or a Chi Master!

One of my players pulled a slick one on me as they encountered a Promethean. He swears that a chi blast would vanquish any Promethean and the Chi is NOT like magic or psionics. His argument got me thinking...
Anyone want to weigh in on this one??
Thanks,

(talking about Chi as per N&S and MC)
Base chi is equal to PE. (The base chi is PEx2 if the char is S. Nat.[optional])
Chi powers are not magic.
Chi powers are not Psi powers.
Neg. Chi blasts affect the char's base positive chi. Once a char's base chi is reduced to 0 or is infected with neg. chi, then the char does not heal naturally.
If a char is infected with neg. chi, then a negative chi master can (if they have the right neg. chi power) cause damage to the neg. chi infected char.
The only way to block attacking chi powers is with the mind block psi power.

So if the player's char is a Negative Chi master, and has the ignite neg. chi power, then if the char infects the Promethean with negative chi. the neg. chi master could inflict a lot of damage to the promethean.

[opinion: the Promethean Phase Adept's and Phase Mystic's Magical Resistance might give them the ability to use their own positive chi to block the incoming negative chi as per a chi master's defensive chi power.(N&S page 118 top of 2nd column #3)]

("Chi blast" as a "super"power, as a generic power, or otherwise not following the N&S and MC books.)
Would affect the Promethean as energy weapons and Psi do.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Thanks guys!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Laux the Ogre wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only way to block attacking chi powers is with the mind block psi power.

Every Promethean has Mindblock Autodefense, so...
Chi powers useless? It's been awhile since I read my N&SS.

Rereading the description of MBAD, it would be ineffective because it would not react vs the chi attack.

Otherwise, if your GM rules it does react (e.g.: GM:"... it is a form of mind control..."), it would act like a auto-parry on a nat die rolls. Ether vs a number (e.g.: rolling vs 10) vs an attack roll (e.g.: each char rolling a die with the lower being the loser.)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Laux the Ogre wrote:If MBAD wouldn't work, why would the regular MB work?

Theory: that the MB blocks out the delicate energies that compose what chi is.
However, the MB has to be 'active' to block chi attacks.

Thus, if it is not active, then it would not block chi.
Which is condition, not active, MBAD would be if it did not activate reactively to a chi attack.
Kovoston
Rifter® Contributer

Thanks guys for the thread information!
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Laux the Ogre wrote:If MBAD wouldn't work, why would the regular MB work?

Theory: that the MB blocks out the delicate energies that compose what chi is.
However, the MB has to be 'active' to block chi attacks.

Thus, if it is not active, then it would not block chi.
Which is condition, not active, MBAD would be if it did not activate reactively to a chi attack.

This is your best work, DK! Take a quote!
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
Grandil
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell

Unread post by Grandil »

Rider wrote:Of course, if chi is in the game, there's no telling which Prometheans might have some skill in it. Don't all the Phase Adepts know martial arts? They are a long-lived adventuresome race. If Enlightened Immortal is in the realm of non-humans would not be surprised to see some amongst the Second-Stagers.

I do allow this...... I think in Rifts China1, there are dragons, or some CoM that is a Tao Shih
initiate, as well as some Yama kings-SNC!
Sometimes a Cigar is just a cigar-Jung to Freud
Feel it- Freud's Cigar, 300 geek points!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Rider wrote:snip... Don't all the Phase Adepts know martial arts? ...snip.

The Martial Arts H2H is very different then the Martial Art Forms found in N&S and MC.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

Chi attacks work really well in Rifts Earth, especially against enemies that have MDC regeneration per melee: Just get their Chi to 0 or a negative value, and they don't regenerate. Chi also makes dusting vampires exceptionally easy.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

FaerieKnight wrote:Plus chi powers can come in handy out of combat too. When your out in the middle of no where, and the party's medic just got blasted down to -2 HP chi healing is very useful to have.

Yeah, the player got extremely lucky. She was sitting up in a tree to avoid melee with the demon-thing. He blasted her with a fireball which toasted the armor, and sent her flying backwards. Fell over the edge of a cliff, and landed in water. Still nearly died though from falling damage.

Should have taken Falling Technique (N&S pg 121) :D
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

just dim mak them
Prometheans are sdc right'?
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

csbioborg wrote:just dim mak them
Prometheans are sdc right'?

If I recall, Dim Mak still requires the person to know the targets anatomy somewhat, so the whole idea of Dim Mak working on a promethean largely depends on what stage said being is in. Once they start getting far enough along their anatomy will obviously start becoming a bit of a fuzzy subject.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
Johnathan
Adventurer

Unread post by Johnathan »

Anatomy a bit fuzzy at further stages...? Dude, they're prometheans! They are fuzzy by their very nature. Seriously. I have viewed prometheans as one of those races that would just never be figured out right and proper. Especially considering that they exist in a constant state of phase. How do you perform surgery on something that doesn't fully exist in a constant solid state anyway?

Also considering that 2nd stage prometheans are more like 4th dimensional beings or elementals than they are mortal flesh and blood creatures...

Would I say Dim Mak would just NOT work on them? No. Considering that they still have Chi like any other thing out there. However, they would be hard pressed to succumb to something like the Dim Mak, in my opinion. Just like I don't think normal Atemi attacks would likely work on them in a fashion that they would work on a mortal flesh and blood creature.

In addition, who's to say? Perhaps Dim Mak has an effect on Prometheans but it's different. Maybe it doesn't condemn them to a slow, lingering death. But they are cut off from their phase powers? Including their constant phased state... Who knows?
Hotrod wrote:I haven't noticed saints getting the bad end of the bargain at all. Sure, a lot of them die in pain and poverty. A lot of jerks die in agony, betrayal, and humiliation, often taking their own lives rather than having to face the consequences of what they've done.

Return to “Ninjas & Superspies™ & Mystic China™”