Savage AtB/TMNT

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Rali
Hero

Savage AtB/TMNT

Unread post by Rali »

I've been toying with the idea of 'Savaging' TMNT/AtB and am curious how important this community thinks the Mutant Animal creation/building aspect is in maintaining the flavor of the setting as opposed to simplifying the mutant animals to reflect the traditional comic appearance (No Looks, Full/Partial Hands, Full/Partial Biped, and Full Speech).

NOTE: Savaging (verb) - Conversion of an existing setting to the Savage Worlds rules. (ex. Savage Rifts)
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: Savage AtB/TMNT

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Rali wrote:I've been toying with the idea of 'Savaging' TMNT/AtB and am curious how important this community thinks the Mutant Animal creation/building aspect is in maintaining the flavor of the setting as opposed to simplifying the mutant animals to reflect the traditional comic appearance (No Looks, Full/Partial Hands, Full/Partial Biped, and Full Speech).

NOTE: Savaging (verb) - Conversion of an existing setting to the Savage Worlds rules. (ex. Savage Rifts)

For me, playing TMNT at about 15 or 16, the creation of the animal was what I loved the most. When someone said lets play TMNT I thought "we're all playing turtles?" But then I got to character creation and I ended up with an armadillo. I love that character even today and that's because I got to decided can he blend a little, pass as human anything. Some players in the group were were full looks and speech, me none and partial. I really think that variation is key to the game but I don't play hardly at all anymore so what do I know.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I also really like the character creation aspect of After the Bomb. I don't know how accurately it relates to the world of the TMNT comics. After the bomb is it's own thing now.
If you were to "savage" TMNT, that is exactly what that would be: a TMNT role playing game using Savage Worlds rules - an established fictional world combined with an established rule set - completely new and unconnected to any other role-playing game adaptions for TMNT that have come before it.
If you were to "savage" ATB, then I think that would have to consider the setting of ATB and try to replicate it. If mutants in ATB now might look completely human or completely animal and lots of combinations in between, then altering that would not only change the rules, but the setting.
In short, I think it depends on which setting you are trying to adapt to savage worlds rules, coz they're no longer the same. Hope that helps.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

Warshield73 wrote:For me, playing TMNT at about 15 or 16, the creation of the animal was what I loved the most.
I'd wager most of us have spent way more time creating characters with TMNTaOS and AtB than we have actually playing. And I agree, the mutant animal creation rules are one of the CORE aspects of both.

Thankfully, Erick included an "Example Of Creating A New Animal Type" section in the original book which I can use to modify the Savage Worlds race creation rules. It would be more simplified compared to the Palladium rules, but still allow for personalized animal builds.

I'd probably tag the Cause of Mutation(TMNTaOS)/Character Backgrounds(AtB) as another CORE aspect of the setting. In Savage Worlds terms, this would set a characters Core Skills and any Special Bonuses/Edges.

Another CORE feature being Doctor Feral, who showed up in four of the TMNTaOS supplements, and one AtB game run by Erick Wujcik at the 2007 Palladium Open House. Since Feral is an original character created specifically for the game books, it just seems right to bring him with.

Soldier of Od wrote:I also really like the character creation aspect of After the Bomb. I don't know how accurately it relates to the world of the TMNT comics.
Honestly, I think it feels more related to the Archie Comics TMNT Adventures series, since that line had way more Mutant Animal characters in it. I'm mostly a Mirage Comics purist, but I still enjoyed the Archie Comics line.

~Nekira Sudacne
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

People who are interested in this might want to take a look at a product called Big Apple Sewer Samurai, which is available at DTRPG.
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start
Rali
Hero

Unread post by Rali »

Xar wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:51 pm People who are interested in this might want to take a look at a product called Big Apple Sewer Samurai, which is available at DTRPG.
I picked it up when it came out. Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to play it, but I do like it. :mrgreen:

~Nekira Sudacne
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I have no interest in this idea. there are too many factors to change/convert/omit are too much.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

I'm interested in taking a look at Big Apple Sewer Samurai, being basically a Savage Worlds take on TMNT. It sounds like it's focused on what's necessary, which is mainly a list of Edges for modeling animal traits.

As for other games in that vein I can recommend checking out Mutants in the Now/Mutants in the Next, which is very much an homage to AtB/TMNT with cleaned up mechanics which stay in keeping with a retro approach. I've been meaning to put together a character creation example to hopefully rouse a little interest in the game.

I've been meaning to read through Fat Goblin's Teenage Mutant Dirtbags, but can't speak to it yet.
Xar
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: J.V. Adams
(he/him/his)

Unread post by Xar »

Actually, I'd like to recommend Mutant Down, by Palladium freelancer alum, Mark Hall. I think it's pretty rad!

https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/pro ... utant-dawn
~Xar~

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”