Clarification on Leaping rules

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Clarification on Leaping rules

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Can I please have some clarification on the exact meaning of the Leaping rules? For example, take the Leaping: Feline power, with a hypothetical six-foot mutant panther. It says that this character can leap 12 feet straight up and 18 feet laterally, from a standing start (add 50% with a full-speed running start)

Which of the two ways of reading this is correct? Or at least your preference, if neither is "Objectively correct"

1) The cat can clear an 18 foot gap from a standing start, or leap straight up and land (maybe with an elegant little flip if he's got Acrobatics and is feeling showy) on his feet at the top of the jump. If this is correct, presumably a character can try and jump a gap one body-length greater, but will have to try and catch themselves (with maybe an Acrobatics skill roll?)

-OR-

2) the character can clear an 18 foot gap or leap 12 feet straight up, but will have to grab the ledge at the end of the jump, and pull himself up? This being the case, presumably the character can jump a gap that's one body-length shorter and land on his feet without having to pull himself up?

Thanks in advance!
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: Clarification on Leaping rules

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

PalladiumBrony wrote:Can I please have some clarification on the exact meaning of the Leaping rules? For example, take the Leaping: Feline power, with a hypothetical six-foot mutant panther. It says that this character can leap 12 feet straight up and 18 feet laterally, from a standing start (add 50% with a full-speed running start)

Which of the two ways of reading this is correct? Or at least your preference, if neither is "Objectively correct"

1) The cat can clear an 18 foot gap from a standing start, or leap straight up and land (maybe with an elegant little flip if he's got Acrobatics and is feeling showy) on his feet at the top of the jump. If this is correct, presumably a character can try and jump a gap one body-length greater, but will have to try and catch themselves (with maybe an Acrobatics skill roll?)

-OR-

2) the character can clear an 18 foot gap or leap 12 feet straight up, but will have to grab the ledge at the end of the jump, and pull himself up? This being the case, presumably the character can jump a gap that's one body-length shorter and land on his feet without having to pull himself up?

Thanks in advance!

My understanding is in line with option 1. The character has a 12' vertical leap from a standing start. that means (given my understanding of how jumping is measured and of the English language) that from a dead stand still the pc can jump straight up and at the apex of the jump the soles of its feet will be 12 ft (96 in) off the ground.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”