Flight clarification

Ninja mutant creatures unite. Here's the place to do it.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PalladiumBrony
Explorer

Flight clarification

Unread post by PalladiumBrony »

Simple question really: Can a given creature take multiple "Flight" powers and benefit from them all? For example, an Eagle is listed as being able to take all of the Flight powers as far as I can see, but could they actually take all 5 options (assuming sufficient Bio-E) or only one, of their choice? I sort of suspected you can take more than one, because the AtB core book explicitly states that Raptor flight gives a flight ceiling of 10K feet, but this is doubled to 20K if Soaring Flight is also taken. If you can take as many Flight powers as you please within your Bio-E limit, do the bonuses provided by each stack?
Rali
Hero

Re: Flight clarification

Unread post by Rali »

GM's choice.
AtB Warehouse Blog (New Animals, Adventures, Bestiary, and More)

That's REAL LIFE. I'm talking PALLADIUM. Confuse the two at your own peril :)
~Nekira Sudacne
Avigor
D-Bee

Unread post by Avigor »

Also note that in the Powers section, Raptor Flight does specify:
Maximum altitude is 10,000 feet (3048 m), but becomes 25,000 feet (7620 m) if, "Soaring Flight" is also taken.

Ergo, those two at least absolutely can, by rules as written, be combined. TBH, I could've sworn there had been something somewhere about combing Glide and one of the flights for better range or something but I couldn't find it (maybe it's from the old TMNT rules? or am I just imagining this?), closest I found was a mention in the owl that Silent Flight included Silent Glide.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

It likely depends on the specific flight.

Like.. Hummingbird flight doesn't work with soaring or Raptor as they're 100% different... functions.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i'd say you can choose up to as many as the specific creature has access to (hummingbirds for example won't have soaring or raptor flight, so that isn't a concern) but that you generally don't get the benefits from more than one at the same time except where specific synergy is noted. you do get to choose between any of your available options, however.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

The hummingraptor seems like a hillarious concept.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:It likely depends on the specific flight.

Like.. Hummingbird flight doesn't work with soaring or Raptor as they're 100% different... functions.

That's sort of how I feel about it. It really depends on the physical wing structure of the base animal. Think about the bird in question and how it moves IRL. Then purchase the flight powers as common sense and biology would allow. I would only allow combo's/stacking for traits the actual base animal would have.

Soaring flight + raptor flight for soaring (duh!) predatory birds.
Raptor flight + silent flight for Owls Only

Wing shapes and the type of flight they're used for

Glide: Every (flying) bird, except hummingbirds, ought to be able to take Glide.

Chickens can Only choose glide (Not capable of long distance flight. Short distances yes, like over a fence or into trees. What a chicken does I wouldn't consider Basic Flight. It's more of flapping their wings really hard to get a little extra oomph behind a jump.
[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken#General_biology_and_habitat][/url] .

Domestic/Farm/Pet ducks in the same category as chickens. With a couple of exceptions (small mallards and call ducks) they are unable to achieve more than a short flight.
https://www.efowl.com/2009/08/24/will-my-pet-ducks-fly-away/

Domestic Turkeys are to fat to fly (see point #2). I would let them take glide but only as a (mostly ineffective) buffer against fall damage. Wild Turkey's are a whole 'nother story.
https://www.livescience.com/7630-5-surprising-turkey-facts.html

Domestic Geese. Probably the best fliers of the traditional farm birds. Glide and short to med range basic flight would be my call. "Flight: Due to their large size and upright posture, domestic geese can't really fly, although when alarmed - and with a good tail wind, they can get off the ground several feet and can remain in the air for up to a quarter a mile - particularly when moving downhill."
https://www.beautyofbirds.com/domesticatedgeese.html

Basic Flight: Works for all birds except as listed above. If your bird has the capability of other flight powers but doesn't take them I'd play it off as if it were bizarrely mutated away (a birth defect? Does it set them apart from other birds of the same species? Horatio was never invited on any of the Owl tribe hunting parties. The mouse clans could always hear him coming.)

Soaring Flight: Birds with the Active or Passive Soaring wing shape. Should be limited to birds such as eagles, most hawks, storks, albatrosses, gulls, and gannets. These are birds that spend long periods of time in the air riding thermals or wind currents.

Silent Flight: Pretty sure this is exclusive to Owls.

Raptor Flight: Seems most likely to be for birds with the High Speed wing shape from the image above. Examples are swifts, ducks, falcons, terns, and sandpipers.

Acrobatic Flight Birds with an Elliptical wing shape. Examples of birds that
have this wing type are crows, ravens, blackbirds, sparrows, and
thrushes (such as the American Robin).

Birds and their wing shapes - The Cornell Lab of Ornithology
Bird Flight&Wing Shape
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Return to “After the Bomb® RPG & TMNT®”