Hotel California...

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Hotel California...

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Who hasn't heard the song? I say, we do that song with a dark coven (4 or 13 mages, depending on party size). Set around the summer solstice, and if there is a mage in the party tell them they sense a strange power from underneath the hotel when they step in to it. (It was built on something odd...Very odd! And tonight, they intend to release it, thinking it is evil.) When in fact, it's not exactly evil, it's unprincapled...a fallen angel. The Christian mission that was there, before it was turned into a hotel, was soposed to protect it's remains. But instead, they all died off (Lack of sex will do that to them, along with small pox epademic will do it faster!) At the time it was built, the Vatican was needed a reformation, it had become corrupt...1850-1900s. So the priest would not have reported in. A city grew up around the mission. Someone bought it and turned it into a hotel.

I should I lay it out more for you guys, or do you think you guys can run with it?
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Shaved Monkey

Unread post by Shaved Monkey »

I have a game coming up, also inspired by that song. Basically an entity (not technically a PB entity, but people get scared when I say Alien intelligenece) exists like a lamprey to the edge of our dimension (thus fixed to a geographical location) and is an emotional vampire, who takes the form of a hotel. If you read the description of the Gateways in TtGD, this is the sort of creature I'm thinking about. Basically, when it hungers, it weakens the barrier, and appears in the real world as a hotel and influences the surrounding region with illusions of roads and signage. It waits until new people come in, them it closes the barrier. The people have no idea of wahts going on. They check in and go to their rooms, but all the while the entity starts probing their minds, implanting minor suggestion, thus convincing guests from going outside. At thesame time, it is sucking the their emotions and tries to get them to interact with other guests to peak new emotions. However, the drain starts making them complacent and eventualy they are sucked dry of all emotions, leaving their bodies empty husks, which eventually die.

The entity sustains the guests as if they are in an astral plane (no aging, no need for food).
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The very first BtS game I ever ran was based on Hotel California.
The party was driving through the middle of nowhere (on their way to LA in investigate some disappearances) when they suddenly saw "a large horned, hairy creature looming ahead in the darkness of the road ahead".
I didn't give any more details on what the thing looked like and made the driver decide what to do.
He rammed it.
It was a cow.
Their car was wrecked and they walked to the nearest sign of civilization, an old hotel (the sign out front read "Hotel liforni", due to some of the letters falling off).
They knocked and a woman (really a Succubus) answered the door and checked them in for the night. She led them by candle-light to their rooms (explaining that the power was out), where their sleep was disturbed by whispered voiced echoing softly through the night.
Things went pretty well, except that one party member wandered off and got captured by the cult that Dara (the succubus) was secretly running in the abandoned courtyard in the middle of the hotel.
The rest of the party found the secret passage way to the courtyard in time to see their friend strapped to an altar, Dara standing over him with a ceremonial knife raised high... about to plunge it into his chest... with a couple dozen cultists in robes between them and her.
Inexplicably (the PCs had guns and psionics, the cultists had knives), the PCs sat patiently and watched as Dara sacrificed their friend and opened a portal to another dimension.
A Supernatural Intelligence started oozing through the portal and killing the cultists who summoned it (that's what you get for summoning hungry EVIL things).
The cultists fought back with their knives, to no avail.
The PCs ran like heck, going back through the secret passageway, and almost made it out of the Hotel before there was a blinding flash of light.

They woke up in the wrecked car.
It was morning.
The dead guy was still dead.
Naturally, they never found any trace of the Hotel California.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Change it how ever you guys wish. Have fun with the ideas. And feel free to toy with it.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Stormseed
Explorer

Unread post by Stormseed »

Didn't DLDC say that he played in a Hotel California-themed game? If he ever shows up again, ask him.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”