A question of gruesome.

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

pblackcrow
Champion

Re: A question of gruesome.

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Atramentus wrote:How gruesome do you run your BtS games? OR how gruesome was the nastiest one you played in?

Yeah yeah, a lot of people look down on that sort of thing. Why's it have to be guts and gore everywhere? Blah blah blah.

Has anyone had their character end up doing what they call a "body stumble"? You know, the last survivor is running for her life and she trips over all of the hiding spots where her friend's mangled bodies were stuffed out of sight.

I usually describe it in such great detail. But I have been slacking.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

I'm known for the whole human body containing 80 gallons of blood bit. Streams of it, rivers of it, lakes of it, oceans of it even.

Actually had one PC almost drown in someone else's blood once.

Chunky blood at that.

I don't just limit it to my horror games either.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Grisly and gory scenes have their place in horror games, but they have their greatest impact if they are properly timed. Scene after scene just becomes dull to the players after a while. It also helps to remember that you want to scare your players, not make them vomit.
Larsen
Adventurer

Unread post by Larsen »

gruesome is cool as long as your players don't get too grossed out to play. also mike is right the timing matters the most don't overload your players senses to where they become dulled to it. make it scary though as well as gruesome thats what I like. :ok:
Omote
Explorer
Comment: To the extreme!

Unread post by Omote »

As mentioned, you are not going to scare everybody, or even most of your players... unless you are DAMM good.

However, play up the emothions. The use of mood music, and a graphic description every so often will definatly keeps sessions memorable. It's a fairly easy way to make your standard session stick out just that much more.

Those are all good suggestions in the posts above.

............................Omote
FPQ
"My god is weird. My god is strange. My god taints a pretty picture." - KT
VAY VICTUS!

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”