Do entities have scents?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

5IronBadger
D-Bee

Do entities have scents?

Unread post by 5IronBadger »

While people are used to relying on our sight; other senses, such as smell, can be really important to the immersive experience.
It seems obvious that supernatural beings with a physical form would have some kind of scent to them. Perhaps something unwashed or an odd scent in the air that just gives the impression of something unnatural.

What I am not sure about is if entities would have a scent?
They can't be seen except by see the invisible. They are not heard though they can sometimes make noises. Touching one can detect a chill. But what about smell?
Is there anything official on this?
Would there be a scent when an entity experiences an extreme emotion?
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Re: Do entities have scents?

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Officially, only Psychic Mediums can smell entities via their olfactory omens ability.

That being said, as I continue working on writing my upcoming "Beyond the Paranormal" sourcebook (which is dedicated to entities, invisible beings, Astral Beings, etc.) I WILL be adding a new ability to haunting entities where they can consciously (sometimes subconsciously) release a scent that was a common aspect of the person the Entity is imitating via their psychic impressions. Example: A Haunting Entity reading the psychic impression of a man who notable smoked a tobacco pipe, or a particular flavor of tobacco, will be detected by those in close proximity to the entity. Even if the entity is currently invisible, but in the room with them, the smell of tobacco might be detected.

Its a great tool for foreshadowing and helping PC's who are looking for a particular Haunting for information. etc.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
5IronBadger
D-Bee

Unread post by 5IronBadger »

mrloucifer wrote:Officially, only Psychic Mediums can smell entities via their olfactory omens ability.

That being said, as I continue working on writing my upcoming "Beyond the Paranormal" sourcebook (which is dedicated to entities, invisible beings, Astral Beings, etc.) I WILL be adding a new ability to haunting entities where they can consciously (sometimes subconsciously) release a scent that was a common aspect of the person the Entity is imitating via their psychic impressions. Example: A Haunting Entity reading the psychic impression of a man who notable smoked a tobacco pipe, or a particular flavor of tobacco, will be detected by those in close proximity to the entity. Even if the entity is currently invisible, but in the room with them, the smell of tobacco might be detected.

Its a great tool for foreshadowing and helping PC's who are looking for a particular Haunting for information. etc.

Thank you for the in-depth reply. I had not looked under Psychic Mediums since none where in play. That answers my question. :)
Also, that would be a neat haunting ability that would add great atmosphere!
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

5IronBadger wrote:
mrloucifer wrote:Officially, only Psychic Mediums can smell entities via their olfactory omens ability.

Thank you for the in-depth reply. I had not looked under Psychic Mediums since none where in play. That answers my question. :)
Also, that would be a neat haunting ability that would add great atmosphere!

There is nothing to stop them having scents. The recent updated Malleus Monstrorum for Call of Cthuhlu focuses on evocative imagery of the old ones, scents, images, that kind of thing. This is also mentioned in Raiders of Ryleh, fir less powerful beings.

So there is nothing stopping you doing something similar here.

Your description is everything. Do they all see and hear the same thing. Same goes for smells.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”