1st ed: spellcasters inferior to Arcanist for guarding PPE?

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

1st ed: spellcasters inferior to Arcanist for guarding PPE?

Unread post by Axelmania »

pg 94

The nega-psychic and the arcanist are the only character classes that are impervious to P.P.E. vampirism. No arcanist or supernatural being can use the P.P.E. of a nega-psychic or arcanist

pg 159

the poltergeist's syphoning of potential psychic energy from humans is painless and harmless (unless you're a mage who needs his P.P.E. for magic)

Arcanists are usually the only guys I think of when I think of spellcasting, but I guess this might be talking about how on pg 98 it also allows Parapsychologists to cast spells? Relates to 62's "understanding the principles of magic".

Sounds like both the arcanist and nega-psychic might have the equivalent of an always-on version of what would later come to be called the super psionic power PPE shield? This is a benefit I can't remember any other mages having, it seems extremely useful with poltergeists always entering the planet any time there's a rift or a summoning happening, to be immune to them.

I guess that means that while poltergeists would harass most magic users (food source) arcanists would be an exception since they'd realize they couldn't feed upon them.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Re: 1st ed: spellcasters inferior to Arcanist for guarding P

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Huh, that is actually a really interesting observation. I also like the implications that come with the fact that poltergeists are released any time a rift opens. It kind of helps to explain why poltergeist activity would be so rare around skeptics and non-believers (i.e. nega-psychics)
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Axelmania
Knight

Even if an individual nega-psychic couldn't have their PPE taken, I don't know that they could necessarily prevent poltergeists from feeding on those around them...

As for Arcanists, even if you're a not a PPE source you might still be an emotion source. Unlike nega-psychics they don't have a permanent mind block to prevent empathy from working, so a poltergeist might still cause problems to terrify a nega-psychic into feeling fear, and enjoying that feeling of fear without feeding.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Axelmania wrote:Even if an individual nega-psychic couldn't have their PPE taken, I don't know that they could necessarily prevent poltergeists from feeding on those around them...

As for Arcanists, even if you're a not a PPE source you might still be an emotion source. Unlike nega-psychics they don't have a permanent mind block to prevent empathy from working, so a poltergeist might still cause problems to terrify a nega-psychic into feeling fear, and enjoying that feeling of fear without feeding.

Both fair points. I was thinking in terms of the film crew NPC party in the back of the first edition book thats comprised of three (?) nega-psychics and how the fact that the poltergeists couldn't feed off of them would make them less of a target (and thus less likely for them to catch anything on film). I forgot about the emotional aspect of things though.
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Axelmania
Knight

If it's just 3 nega-psychics they would be super-boring and not-edible to the poltergeists so yeah they'd probably treat them like a table and 100% ignore them.

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”