Question from a Noob

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

LordNightwinter
D-Bee

Question from a Noob

Unread post by LordNightwinter »

So I'm new to Palladium RPGs. I've obtained a copy of rifts ultimate, heroes unlimited, fantasy, beyond the supernatural, after the bomb, and I have an old copy of TMNT & Other Strangeness from the days of my youth. So I've taken to reading BTS first and I've seen that things are backwards/sideways/otherwise compatible but I'm not 100% sure yet what is truly compatible with what? For instance, can I take classes from Fantasy and inject it in to BTS if I wanted to include magic?

I haven't had a chance to read any of the other books yet. I've been doing this RPG thing as a DM/GM mostly for a good 22 years or more now so I'm no stranger to RPGs but the Palladium line is a fascinating creature. Most of what I've done is the more commercial RPGs like D&D 1-5, Alternity, D20 Modern, Pathfinder, etc. I've done some more crunchy systems as well but the whole cross compatible thing is new to me. So I guess what I'm looking for are guidelines and barring that, opinions on what works best.
"That's how it all ends doc. Not with a bang, or a whimper, but with a thwack."
-Mister Gone, The Maxx
Dlanaan
D-Bee

Re: Question from a Noob

Unread post by Dlanaan »

Technically, just about anything in Palladium is compatible with anything else, but there are some "universes" that are better as self-contained entities. Beyond the Supernatural is not necessarily self-contained, but there are some modifications that may need to be made to non-BtS material to make it fit.

In regards to magic, Palladium Fantasy classes may work mostly. For these mages, you might want to consider reducing available P.P.E. by 1/4 and then applying the psychic threat multipliers for surges. There are a few threads regarding this issue that you may want to look at for further suggestions. Personally, I think if you are going to use magic classes (assuming the magic supplement will still be another couple years to come out), you might look at Through the Glass Darkly for Nightbane. While some of it is Nightbane-centric, it still has a few classes appropriate to the setting and has a good discussion about magic in an urban setting that may be interesting.

In terms of creatures/monsters, you can pretty much carry them over as is. Just realize that some may not be as appropriate for an urban horror setting. You will also want to decide a psychic threat level for each monster and discorporation effects. Also realize that some may be more/less powerful than in their native settings, e.g., things that die to swords probably die to guns faster, but something vulnerable only to magic/psychic attacks is going to be much more difficult to take down.
LordNightwinter
D-Bee

Re: Question from a Noob

Unread post by LordNightwinter »

Okay cool, thanks for that. I've come to like the Palladium RPG "building blocks" so to speak. My current group is very D&D 5th edition oriented but hopefully I can sneak some Palladium in there. Although I have Robotech I don't think anyone I game with is a hardcore enough nerd to explore that RPG with me. Tactics, yes, RPG, not so much. lol
"That's how it all ends doc. Not with a bang, or a whimper, but with a thwack."
-Mister Gone, The Maxx

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”