Blast from the Past: Original BTS adventure Gun question

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Blast from the Past: Original BTS adventure Gun question

Unread post by DevastationBob »

The Randolph Mansion adventure in the original BTS mentions a "Webley Horse Pistol chambered for .610". I've done some googling and I can't find a mention of it. Any firearm historians out there who could tell me if such a weapon actually existed?
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: Blast from the Past: Original BTS adventure Gun question

Unread post by filo_clarke »

.610 round ball was used in a variety of Buffalo Rifle loads... not exactly "horse pistol" caliber though. That would be a pig of a handgun.

It is close enough to be a 20-gauge shotgun shell. Maybe the gun is some kind of revolving shotgun, cut down into a pistol?

I don't know.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

Hmm... I wondered about that myself back in the day, and never got around to researching. I'm curious on this now myself.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Continued internet searching hasn't turned anything up. .610 mostly turns up as a ball though. So unless it was a cap and ball revolver, I don't see how a Webley was chambered for that. Unless the Randolph gunsmith was a Weapons Genius, which is entirely possible I s'pose.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

maybe a typo? .410 bore is a common shotgun size.. and fairly close to the .455 calibre used in most Webley and Scott pistols.

as for the pistol itself.. the type doesn't match any exact model, but its name is similar to the role of the "WG" army revolver, which was originally created for cavalry units and later became a standard military sidearm. this type of pistol is the kind identified with one Dr. Henry "Indiana" Jones (Jr)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”