How I envision the quintessential BTS game

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

How I envision the quintessential BTS game

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

To ME, this IS the very essence of a BTS game.

A normal guy against unspeakable evil.

Cast a Deadly Spell

If I've got it wrong, someone help me out.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Re: How I envision the quintessential BTS game

Unread post by DevastationBob »

Cast a Deadly Spell would make a pretty good setting by itself. The magic is a little too public for me to say it's a quintessential BTS game. I think with BTS the vast majority of people are unaware of the secret world around them. CaDS has werewolves sitting in holding cells and wealthy debutantes riding unicorns and nobody bats an eye. But that's just like, my opinion, man.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Oh I know Magic is hidden from public biew in BTS bob. I meant the "feel/theme/tone" of the game. For whatever reason I always envision BTS happening between 1920 and 1960 (at the LATEST). To me BTS is a world setting that encompasses pretty much the same time frame/setting as the movie. At it's broadest my vision of BTS is an amalgam of time from Post WW1 to Pre beatnik/Hippie.

I'm not a history major/buff so I really can't pin it down. But whenever I think of BTS I think of a setting exactly like that movie (maybe not California, but that time period).

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I've always seen BtS the way it was portrayed. As a contemporary game happening in the modern, current world. I think it's cool that it can be adapted to other time periods as well (especially the 80's), but I wouldn't call that Quintessential BtS by any measure.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

I understand what you're saying Cybermancer. However, if you'll notice the 2nd word in the topic title. It says "How I envision the quintessential BTS game." You can set your game in any time period you like.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Cybermancer
Hero

Perhaps you missed the first word in my post?

All I'm doing is expressing my opinion as you were expressing yours. I even state in my first post that I think it's great that it can be made to work for different preferences such as yours.

Obviously I can run my games however I want and I will obviously do so. Just as you can and will. It's not an attack to say, "I don't see that way at all." It's expressing a contrary opinion to yours, that's all.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Touche`. It seems I did miss the first word in your post as well. Dang you internet for you inability to convey tone.

Friends still?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Cybermancer
Hero

Sure, friends still.

WWVLD?
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

How about this? Are BTS games like this movie Skinwalker Ranch

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

DevastationBob
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by DevastationBob »

We never played "pure" BTS. All the "modern" Palladium settings were rolled into one we called "Generica". Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, BTS, TMNT&OS all came together into a goofy ball of awesome.

The closest to a real BTS game involved human impersonating pig-demons taking over the Los Angeles sewer system (assuming all major cities are basically NY i guess...) and a parapsychologist, several N&SS Agents, An ancient master of Snake style Kung-Fu, and a purple furred space-ape going down there to do battle with them.
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

What is this "magic" you talk of in BTS2. You mean psionics right? I cant recall any magic (but there'll definitely be some this year...). :clown:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”