Arcanum and Tome Grotesque for Beyond the Supernatural

Let's talk of things that go bump in the night. Stuff that makes your skin crawl. Creatures that are Beyond the Supernatural™. Also checkout the in-character site - Lazlo Society™

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Trent
Explorer

Re: Arcanum and Tome Grotesque for Beyond the Supernatural

Unread post by Trent »

taalismn wrote:
Trent wrote:[
There is so much you can do with BTS .

Yes. But it requires more thinking, planning, and discretion. Unless you've set the campaign in a warzone, you can't just say "we go and buy some tactical nukes and start blowing up stuff" with the same abandon you might have in other game settings.

Well some people like games that make you think . Not everyone wants hack n slash or shoot em ups .
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Trent wrote:[Well some people like games that make you think . Not everyone wants hack n slash or shoot em ups .

Hence my argument/agreement that BTS books and adventures take a lot more thought and preparation, and why writing up new sourcebooks isn't as simple as 'let's toss in a GAZILLION new weapons and monsters!'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Trent
Explorer

Unread post by Trent »

taalismn wrote:
Trent wrote:[Well some people like games that make you think . Not everyone wants hack n slash or shoot em ups .

Hence my argument/agreement that BTS books and adventures take a lot more thought and preparation, and why writing up new sourcebooks isn't as simple as 'let's toss in a GAZILLION new weapons and monsters!'.

Yes I get that but its just that the two books were promised as being in production and coming soon when the core book was first advertised . That's been many years ago and many other source books have came out for other games instead . Many only bought the core book thinking the two others to complete the game were very soon to follow . Had they know otherwise they may not have spent the money on that first book .
Please Help a Family in Need : http://www.gofundme.com/y27ff9w ,
nakorn66
D-Bee

Unread post by nakorn66 »

I hope they are released soon :)

- a fan from Thailand
gaby
Knight

Well here Hoping for BtS in 2016?

Unread post by gaby »

Well I hoping Palladium books can fouce on Beyond the Supernatural in 2016?

They did the Dead regin books,Why is BtS so Hard for them?

What do you think is ther problem in making BtS,s books?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Well here Hoping for BtS in 2016?

Unread post by The Beast »

gaby wrote:What do you think is ther problem in making BtS,s books?

Not enough people buy them.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Well not having a complete game makes it kinda a self fulfilled prophecy there where people don't buy a book to a game they can't play.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I've ran a BTS game since the original first came out. It's been the longest running game that my players and I have done. When the new BTS was released, I bought it too. What I've done for years is create paranormal creatures for the party to investigate and hunt. Even though I've done this for years and actually like doing it this way, but I've got to admit, it would save me a lot of time if I had the Tome of the Grotesque in hand.
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

The Beast wrote:
gaby wrote:What do you think is ther problem in making BtS,s books?

Not enough people buy them.

Wrong, last time I checked, first edition is selling well in e-book. Mind you, this was like a year ago; so. The problem is 2nd edition. The changes Kevin made to 2nd Ed were not well received with my players. And I still do not like playing or GMing straight 2nd ed. I mean, yeah characters needed a BIT of spicing up and a few tweaks made here and there. The PPE of the mage/arcanist increased and some new spells and psychic abilities, added. But I was a bit disappointed with the absurdity of the rules for ISP. Still my groups play a combination of first and second editions. With the understanding that absolutely none of the characters get the bonus ISP from the monsters. House ruled and completely rejected that notion in all of the groups that I have played in and GMed. And also, I am not allowed to play an autistic psychic again...LOL. LONG AND FUNNY STORY! But one for another day, as it's going on 3:00am.

But I do want to say that I am not trying to be negative or condescending. If I come off that way, I am sorry. But please don't think that I am. I like Palladium games and am a major fan of BtS. And most likely always will be. My dislikes are quite easily fixable with a quick reset to the original system and a few tweaks here and there all is well.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Valadus2001
Newb

Unread post by Valadus2001 »

I'm tired of waiting for them. If it's true that they BtS is dead then my interest in palladium has pretty much died as well.
Holister
Adventurer

Unread post by Holister »

Ok, reality is, they BTS 2nd edition came out in 2005, that wa slike like 10 years ago. They have no intention of ever EVER putting out those other bboks. Buying a BTS 2nd edition is a waste of time and money. They spent all their time and effort on Dead Reign because "zombie apocalypse" is the big "In" thing that is popular. If you like BTS, just find yourself a copy of 1st edition, at least that was a complete game in and of itself (psychic abilities, magic, and monsters all in oone book, plus a few campaign ideas in the back), plus their there are alot of book you can use with it including BOXED NIGHTMARES the sourcebook for BTS 1st edition, monsters & animals (1st edition more so than 2nd in my opinion), and Mystic China are alsovery compatible.

Well that was my 2 cents... Game On!
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
Eric42
Wanderer

Unread post by Eric42 »

Note: The recent update is saying three sourcebooks are PLANNED for 2016. I know that means little, but who knows?
Holister
Adventurer

Dude, don't hold your breath. Pal promises alot and delivers a little.
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Two words...BTS KICKSTARTER!!
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:Two words...BTS KICKSTARTER!!

Yeah, that's gonna do well... :roll:
MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

Hey last weekly update said BTS stuff is coming out this year....yay!!!

Can't wait...
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Yaay, the same vague mention of upcoming BTS stuff in the weekly update!

Looking forward to it too!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
MurderCityDisciple wrote:Two words...BTS KICKSTARTER!!

Yeah, that's gonna do well... :roll:

Dunno Lemuria and both Northern Gun books were crowd sourced if I recall.
And unlike the RTT issue there are no third parties involved. Collect the money needed to pay people to write the book.
I would be willing to kick in the twenty bucks for a Kickstarted book. Yeah I know its a gamble....but its a gamble I would be willing to take since the pay off (getting a BTS book) is rather large.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

I thought they'd been released and I just hadn't seen them on the shelves yet.
Geez...
Anyway, I guess with a little tweeking you can just use the stats from Palladium Fantasy for everything in BTS...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

Vrykolas2k wrote:I thought they'd been released and I just hadn't seen them on the shelves yet.
Geez...
Anyway, I guess with a little tweeking you can just use the stats from Palladium Fantasy for everything in BTS...

True...kind of. I don't know too much about Palladium Fantasy magic but BTS magic, if it works like the psychic rules, can't be cast openly. It'll likely have an escalating power source depending on the level of supernatural threat nearby. That's an assumption though. Another possibility is that while psychics are powered that way maybe arcanists (BTS casters) are powered differently, ie. Cults, rituals etc. That's always been the big appeal of BTS magic to me. Fantasy casters are kind of like superheroes with powers whereas BTS is much more subtle. But we don't know for sure what Kevin intends as the rules aren't out yet...
tmikesecrist3
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tmikesecrist3 »

I would like to see this befor the end of the year my self but I am not holding my breath..... it is sad we dont already have this in our hands :(
"Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volleyed and thundered;
Stormed at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of hell
Rode the six hundred."
The charge of the light Brigade, By Alfred, Lord Tennyson
MidnightBlue
D-Bee

Unread post by MidnightBlue »

There are no possible titles that I've seen listed or hinted at that I want more than the completion of the long promised BTS 2E books.

I still happily have my BTS 1E and Boxed Nightmares books and they are prized jewels among two and a half, long, bookcase shelves of Palladium Books RPGs.

Can't wait to see what they do with magic and finally get some more monsters to take on in 2E.
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

MidnightBlue wrote:There are no possible titles that I've seen listed or hinted at that I want more than the completion of the long promised BTS 2E books.

I still happily have my BTS 1E and Boxed Nightmares books and they are prized jewels among two and a half, long, bookcase shelves of Palladium Books RPGs.

Can't wait to see what they do with magic and finally get some more monsters to take on in 2E.

I"m the same. I have shelves of Palladium stuff but the only things I want (need) are the magic and monsters books for BTS 2e.
Prons
D-Bee

Unread post by Prons »

There's still a month left in the year. #RIP
cesuhr
D-Bee

Unread post by cesuhr »

yeah always promised but still have not delivered. I am about to give up on seeing these books in the near future. the promise has been broken.
Hunterrose
Wanderer

Unread post by Hunterrose »

I'd love to see some BtS supplements. But for my part, I'm currently setting up a HU Campaign and I'm happy combining and mixing different games together. Luckily I have 2 psychics and a Ghost as PCs so they fit well in the BtS world. But I'm also using stuff from Pal Fantasy, Gumshoe, TMNT, Rifts, and Dark Champions.

Once I have source material, I'm not finding it too difficult to create NPC Stats in the HU Mold.

For example there's a 5th level Fire Manipulating Mutant in one of the stories I'm adapting. I love the story but this guy's stats are useless to me. But I know what he needs to do in the narrative and I know how to make Fire Guy Powers in HU so problem solved.
Wintercross
D-Bee

Unread post by Wintercross »

I would like to see these source books get done, managed to pick up some Palladium books and currently working on prep work for a BTS campaign via Roll20.

A lot of holes I need to patch in though.
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

Eric42 wrote:Note: The recent update is saying three sourcebooks are PLANNED for 2016. I know that means little, but who knows?

Some of us remember when Mechanoid Space was planned for 1995...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I love it,that info on Arcanum and Tome Grotesque is coming in Rifter.
Holister
Adventurer

It would be better if they just put out the books like they were supposed to ... 12 YEARS AGO. :P
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

You Known I am staring to Hate Dead Reign,they are Close too book 8 and Beyond the Supernatural is only One!
What is Up with That?
You can doo so much more with BtS.

I will Stay strong and Keep Hope alive.
Last edited by gaby on Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holister
Adventurer

I agree. BtS is a horror based RPG that has such a wide range of possibilities and can be combined with several other books to further expand on that without affecting the basis of the game. like Boxed Nightmares, Nightbane, and Mystic China. Even sourcebooks like Systems Failure, Monsters & Animals, Hades, & Dyval can be used to add to it if you want to go that route.

Dead Reign, on the other hand, is a fad, that's it. Zombie survival, once Walking Dead gets canceled, will lose its momentum and phase out. Dead Reign should have been a sourcebook for BtS at best and left at that. I feel as though Palladium should have put more of an effort into BtS or least guide things into that direction, especially since they have had the two remaining CORE books "coming soon" for over 12 years now. I also have hope that one day they will get their act together and deliver what was promised. In the meantime, I refer to BtS 1st edition and add to it as I see fit. There are also so many game books out there that are based in the supernatural its insane provided you know where to look.

Not for nothing, and no offense to Palladium, but horror is more than zombies and vampires. If you really enjoy good horror based RPGs like me, you might want to check out our Facebook group. It's more than just BtS, but you might like it. Here is the link. In the meantime, Gaby don't lose hope and keep the faith.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/BlackRabbitGames/?ref=group_cover
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I will.

I say Tome Grotesque part 1 will be made first,It will be a Mix of Updated Monsters from 1st ed and All New Ones.
What Monsters from 1st ed do you hope they will keep?

I Hope they make the Monsters from Rifter canon,ther very good.
Holister
Adventurer

I would like to see them keep the usual suspects like werewolves, vampires, zombies, ghosts, & mummies, but I want to see them keep the mindolar, narcarant, dybbuk, and boschala. As for new additions maybe the imp, succubus, and golem.
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well Arcanum will have all the Magic info from 1st ed,puls some New Info,the Updated Arcanist,Other Magic Occ.
I hope they will have some Magic items.
Holister
Adventurer

I would like to see a druid class (a shout out to Kon Thaak from back in the day), a priest class (modern priest; I've done it so I know it's possible), a witch class (both white/light and dark/evil witch), and maybe a modern mystic and/or a magician class.
Ask yourself this;
"Say what now?"
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

We must always keep hoping.

If they Stop Dead regin they can focus on BtS?
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How will they set up the Spells and not make the copy of Palladium fantasy?

What Spells do you want to see in BtS?
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

gaby wrote:How will they set up the Spells and not make the copy of Palladium fantasy?

What Spells do you want to see in BtS?

Great question. A while ago I started a short document that I called "BTS Wishlist" containing the things I liked from 1rst edition and things that I would like to see changed, as well as themes and other things etc. It's a question deserving of its own topic - perhaps called "Arcanum and Tome Grotesque Wishlist". I'd start it myself but really, my list isn't that long, I need to keep it open and add things as they occur to me.

But I will say this - 1rst edition was pretty great except when it came to Arcanists. With that one class you could pretty much do anything a psychic could do if you had the spells - telekinesis, pyrokinesis, astral travel, healing, clairvoyance, various types of detecting etc. Why have a psychic at all? Arcanists could even borrow PPE from others to fuel themselves (a great idea actually, in ritual settings or with trained channellers as assistants) but it was yet another leg up on psychics.

if Arcanum ever does come out I would like to see a variety of magic types so that one class can't do "everything" (am I exaggerating? That's the way I remember it). Or perhaps the type of caster you are doesn't matter but you have to select a certain "path" to go down and that limits your choices from thereon and maybe even restricts other things. Just some thoughts.
neftosis
D-Bee

Unread post by neftosis »

Eddie Focus wrote:Still waiting ... hoping ... someday ...

Three Years later - GUYS! Seriously... I've been waiting like half my life for these books!!
Can we help?
Can we do a kickstarter?!?!!?!?! anyone!?!?

BTS and NaSS are both such good settings and more love should be sent their way
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Yes,your Right!

Please Palladium books do BtS,s Books in the Next Year.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

They're not forgotten. Kevin and I were talking recently about how the magic in BTS will work. Things are moving slowly but they are moving. I will help speed up the process as much as I can.

In the meantime I may write something about how the magic will work so players can incorporating aspects in their game with BTS1 arcanist rules in the meantime.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
Rogerd
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Rogerd »

The trouble with this product is that it is like Cinematic Unisystem: Beyond Human. Promised for release over ten, may be twelve years. While some would buy it even now, most have moved on from that system due to lack of support and wouldn't bother buying even if released. It is just too late. We just do not care.

The same is true here.

So for PB to announce that the product is moving slowly, the last post being eight months old, coupled with the fact that 15 years to produce a book is beyond taking liberties with the loyal base here. It is in essence producing vapourware. I personally would not buy it now and can substitute the BtS magic feel with other products.

Palladium Books needs to get its act together.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I hope they put NB:TtGD and Rifter 27,s Sorcerous Proficiencies and Limiations,Spcialy Limitions in a low Magic BtS,s World,ther can be inherent from How the Character learn Magic (thier school of magic),the Source ther of Magic power or a Curse.
They can always wokr on Overcoming it.

What do you think?
Jasper
Explorer

Unread post by Jasper »

gaby wrote:I hope they put NB:TtGD and Rifter 27,s Sorcerous Proficiencies and Limiations,Spcialy Limitions in a low Magic BtS,s World,ther can be inherent from How the Character learn Magic (thier school of magic),the Source ther of Magic power or a Curse.
They can always wokr on Overcoming it.

What do you think?

That's funny, I was literally reading the sorcerous proficiencies page yesterday but haven't gone through them all yet. I don't like the "immunity to magic" one because it makes no sense for a spellcaster. That aside, I definitely do want to see some variation for spell-casting, including a number of different classes so that it's not just one class that gets all the spells like before. Some further variation with choosable (or rollable) proficiencies, powers sources, etc would be pretty neat. I really like the Channeler class from TgGD - they fill the role in a modern setting of cult leaders, priests, etc (in addition to other things) as they haven't learned their magic, rather it's granted to them, albeit in a different way than Pact Witches who make a deal of service.
I also like the idea of differentiating oral tradition spellcasters - people like traditional witches (as opposed to Pact Witches), Druids, "Voodoo" style casters, from more standard book-learning Arcanists and Sorcerers.
I like the idea of of Parapsychologists being able to cast spells from books and scrolls in ritual forms but with no "off-hand" casting.
I like the Acolyte from TgGD, but I don't like the fact that they have psychic powers, it doesn't fit with BtS (in my mind). Instead, they would provide PPE for their leader and be able to cast like the Parapsychologist.
I like the Mystic having both psychic powers and innate spells.
Some off-hand thoughts.
mrloucifer
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there... wondering, fearing, doubting" - Edgar Allen Poe

Unread post by mrloucifer »

gaby wrote:I hope they put NB:TtGD and Rifter 27,s Sorcerous Proficiencies and Limiations,Spcialy Limitions in a low Magic BtS,s World,ther can be inherent from How the Character learn Magic (thier school of magic),the Source ther of Magic power or a Curse. They can always wokr on Overcoming it. What do you think?

I've not read this article before (that I can recall, but I get hit in the head a lot), but now that I have I think its got a lot of potential and variety to offer. I've since added it to my "Magic User Template for BTS-2" I've been working on in the House of BTS Discord page.

Jasper wrote:I like the Acolyte from TgGD, but I don't like the fact that they have psychic powers, it doesn't fit with BtS (in my mind). Instead, they would provide PPE for their leader and be able to cast like the Parapsychologist.

I agree and it is puzzling that the option to provide PPE wasn't blatantly offered. That said, the Acolyte does not have to take any psionics; they can be psionic free. On the other hand, I think there is a "Restore PPE" psionic ability they could take to do this very thing. Also, as they gain ISP regardless, I think there's a "Convert to P.P.E." spell in one of the books the cult leader could use to gain PPE from the acolyte as well. Still, if I get a chance to add the acolyte to Beyond Arcanum, I would include this as part of the package.
"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places."
–H.P. Lovecraft

By night I'm known as Steven Dawes, that "BTS" guy, and the Host of the House of BTS!
barna10
Hero
Comment: Started playing Palladium in 1990.

Unread post by barna10 »

And....still nothing

Return to “Beyond the Supernatural™”