A Poll about what you want to see when you play

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Which items do you like to have in your game?

Easy rules to dodge bullets
1%
Hard rules to dodge bullets
4%
Keeping track of ammo
5%
Sparing significant enemies at the end of a fight
1%
Having effective damage ranges for modern weapons
3%
Having 'drama tokens' or other aids to influence gameplay
1%
Dealing with alternative sized bullets (9mm vs 5.56mm)
2%
Bleed Out rules
5%
Combat generally resolving in in-game seconds
1%
The restrictions of body armor
2%
Tactical movement providing bonuses ie: flanking
6%
Monologues in combat
1%
Interrupting monologues in combat with a head shot
5%
Professionalism and Prep work
5%
Limb/Internal injury penalties
3%
A good kick being able to do the damage of a shotgun round
No votes
Representative inaccuracy or foibles in modern weapons
2%
SWAT maneuvers (breech, flashbang, entry)
3%
Throwing aside weapons to fight hand to hand
1%
Point blank damage bonuses
No votes
Gear upgrades
4%
Weapon speed (knife speed vs hercules club)
1%
Penetration values/armor works only on certain things
4%
Specialized weapon rounds
6%
Subduing/Knocking out enemies (Killing only when specifically announced)
2%
Wuxia moves (uber-powerful martial arts skills)
2%
Grid maps or hex squares
2%
Rolling initiative trackers (Where actions cost time instead of having attacks per rd)
1%
Grappling/holds
2%
Kicks having different damage dice or abilities
No votes
Line of Sight/Light
3%
Practical ranged/melee results (There's no way I can't shoot him before he closes on me?)
1%
Distinctly different martial art forms
4%
Brutal close quarter combat slugfests
4%
Advanced Warfare gear (thermal imaging, radar pings)
5%
Points Pools that all characters can draw from
1%
Retroactive moments that set up heists or scams
1%
Realistic computer hacking (weeks not minutes)
No votes
Defeating enemies with improvisation
6%
Defeating enemies with prep work
6%

Total votes: 111

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

A Poll about what you want to see when you play

Unread post by zerombr »

There's four things that I can think of that define how you play a game. Is it Cinematic, Narrativist, Realistic, or Simulationist? (yes I know about RPG theory and all)

Would you guys be so kind as to click on each item that you feel is something you consciously like having to work with in your game?

I'm just trying to get a read on the forums
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Re: A Poll about what you want to see when you play

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I have always liked to make the combat reasonably cinematic but I want some grounding to it so keeping track of ammunition and practical combat movements are big pluses with me. In HU especially I love to give characters specialized equipment like flashbangs to see what they will do with them.

An NPC might be invulnerable but a flashbang will still deafen and blind them.

I also have a few home rules for bonuses for cover and flanking.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Warshield73 wrote:Usually yes. The only problem I usually have is with people who are too narrative. I like rolling for skills and abilities and not be told when they do and don't work.

I've become a 'roll if its interesting to fail' kind of guy. Is that what you're saying you don't like?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Warshield73 wrote:
Example 1: Players were climbing over a wall in a 1st ed Southern Cross game. One of the players, even though he had a high skill, kept failing. Now we were also playing Rifts at the time so the GM simply said "a Rift opens and a dragon" which was the players character in Rifts "steps through and lifts you over the wall". We all laughed and went on.

Example 2: Player is flying a cruiser class vessel with a skill at about 98%, he is trying to pick up an escape pod under combat conditions and rolls a 100%. Roll for outcome and he nailed it at full military speed cracking it open like an egg spreading the friendly NPCs inside all over the hull. For the character he worked that into his character as a way to moderate his arrogance on piloting skills and all the characters had a bit of guilt as to how reckless they had been. To players, years of comedy material, just years of it.

When I play I am OK with skipping some simple or inconsequential rolls but when I GM, well in my universe I am not god, the dice are.

to me, the first one I wouldn't have rolled for, but the second one, because failure was interesting, I would roll for. Just so you understand my POV on it.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

zerombr wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
Example 1: Players were climbing over a wall in a 1st ed Southern Cross game. One of the players, even though he had a high skill, kept failing. Now we were also playing Rifts at the time so the GM simply said "a Rift opens and a dragon" which was the players character in Rifts "steps through and lifts you over the wall". We all laughed and went on.

Example 2: Player is flying a cruiser class vessel with a skill at about 98%, he is trying to pick up an escape pod under combat conditions and rolls a 100%. Roll for outcome and he nailed it at full military speed cracking it open like an egg spreading the friendly NPCs inside all over the hull. For the character he worked that into his character as a way to moderate his arrogance on piloting skills and all the characters had a bit of guilt as to how reckless they had been. To players, years of comedy material, just years of it.

When I play I am OK with skipping some simple or inconsequential rolls but when I GM, well in my universe I am not god, the dice are.

to me, the first one I wouldn't have rolled for, but the second one, because failure was interesting, I would roll for. Just so you understand my POV on it.

I understand that. I really only skip skill rolls if failure is unlikely, failure wouldn't matter, or if the act is so common that failure would be unrealistic so I can understand why someone would skip #1.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”