Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Which items do you like to have in your game?
Easy rules to dodge bullets 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Hard rules to dodge bullets 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Keeping track of ammo 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Sparing significant enemies at the end of a fight 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Having effective damage ranges for modern weapons 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Having 'drama tokens' or other aids to influence gameplay 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Dealing with alternative sized bullets (9mm vs 5.56mm) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Bleed Out rules 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Combat generally resolving in in-game seconds 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
The restrictions of body armor 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Tactical movement providing bonuses ie: flanking 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Monologues in combat 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Interrupting monologues in combat with a head shot 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Professionalism and Prep work 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
Limb/Internal injury penalties 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
A good kick being able to do the damage of a shotgun round 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Representative inaccuracy or foibles in modern weapons 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
SWAT maneuvers (breech, flashbang, entry) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Throwing aside weapons to fight hand to hand 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Point blank damage bonuses 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Gear upgrades 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Weapon speed (knife speed vs hercules club) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Penetration values/armor works only on certain things 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Specialized weapon rounds 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Subduing/Knocking out enemies (Killing only when specifically announced) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Wuxia moves (uber-powerful martial arts skills) 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Grid maps or hex squares 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Rolling initiative trackers (Where actions cost time instead of having attacks per rd) 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Grappling/holds 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Kicks having different damage dice or abilities 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Line of Sight/Light 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Practical ranged/melee results (There's no way I can't shoot him before he closes on me?) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Distinctly different martial art forms 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Brutal close quarter combat slugfests 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Advanced Warfare gear (thermal imaging, radar pings) 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
Points Pools that all characters can draw from 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Retroactive moments that set up heists or scams 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Realistic computer hacking (weeks not minutes) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Defeating enemies with improvisation 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Defeating enemies with prep work 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 80
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:52 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
There's four things that I can think of that define how you play a game. Is it Cinematic, Narrativist, Realistic, or Simulationist? (yes I know about RPG theory and all)

Would you guys be so kind as to click on each item that you feel is something you consciously like having to work with in your game?

I'm just trying to get a read on the forums

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:07 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
I have always liked to make the combat reasonably cinematic but I want some grounding to it so keeping track of ammunition and practical combat movements are big pluses with me. In HU especially I love to give characters specialized equipment like flashbangs to see what they will do with them.

An NPC might be invulnerable but a flashbang will still deafen and blind them.

I also have a few home rules for bonuses for cover and flanking.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:19 pm

Adventurer

so you're a middle of the road guy. Okay, def nothing wrong with that. Means you're likely to find something you enjoy in most any playstyle.

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:01 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
zerombr wrote:
so you're a middle of the road guy. Okay, def nothing wrong with that. Means you're likely to find something you enjoy in most any playstyle.

Usually yes. The only problem I usually have is with people who are too narrative. I like rolling for skills and abilities and not be told when they do and don't work.

Truthfully though, I play very rarely anymore and in my life I bet I have run 20 times as many games as I have played in. Some sucker has to do the work and that usual ends up being me :D

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:12 am

Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:
Usually yes. The only problem I usually have is with people who are too narrative. I like rolling for skills and abilities and not be told when they do and don't work.

I've become a 'roll if its interesting to fail' kind of guy. Is that what you're saying you don't like?

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

I've become a 'roll if its interesting to fail' kind of guy. Is that what you're saying you don't like?

I don't mind it but I prefer to succeed or fail by the dice, whether it's interesting on not. I think it can be a lot of fun to see how players and the GM react when a player fails a simple roll. Sometimes this can be made serious others for comedy.

Example 1: Players were climbing over a wall in a 1st ed Southern Cross game. One of the players, even though he had a high skill, kept failing. Now we were also playing Rifts at the time so the GM simply said "a Rift opens and a dragon" which was the players character in Rifts "steps through and lifts you over the wall". We all laughed and went on.

Example 2: Player is flying a cruiser class vessel with a skill at about 98%, he is trying to pick up an escape pod under combat conditions and rolls a 100%. Roll for outcome and he nailed it at full military speed cracking it open like an egg spreading the friendly NPCs inside all over the hull. For the character he worked that into his character as a way to moderate his arrogance on piloting skills and all the characters had a bit of guilt as to how reckless they had been. To players, years of comedy material, just years of it.

When I play I am OK with skipping some simple or inconsequential rolls but when I GM, well in my universe I am not god, the dice are.

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:57 pm

Knight

Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."
zerombr wrote:
There's four things that I can think of that define how you play a game. Is it Cinematic, Narrativist, Realistic, or Simulationist? (yes I know about RPG theory and all)

My group tends to cut a dash between Simulationism and Realism... in part because we mostly run games for the licensed titles in Palladium's catalog (Macross/Robotech).

Palladium's Mega-Damage system has so much arbitrary-ness in its stats that it's often fodder for completely unrealistic or downright ridiculous things without house-rule correction. For instance, in the 2nd Edition Robotech game it's perfectly possible for a small infantry fireteam to destroy a giant robot tougher than a tank with nothing fancier than 5.56mm or 7.62mm automatic rifles. That's so incredibly wrong that it just had to go. You're not going to take down a Main Battle Tank with an infantry sidearm, no matter how determined you are. So we ditched a bunch of stuff like MDC personal body armor, man-portable Mega-Damage weapons (excl. armor-piercing missile launchers), and redid all the stats so that damage actually scales properly with a weapon's firepower instead of it being a completely arbitrary value. (There were literally cases in RAW where handguns were more powerful than laser cannons mounted on mecha.) We also added things like AR for Mega-Damage vehicles and rules for different types of missile guidance... Realist touches that improved the Simulationist side of the game.

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:13 am

Adventurer

Warshield73 wrote:

Example 1: Players were climbing over a wall in a 1st ed Southern Cross game. One of the players, even though he had a high skill, kept failing. Now we were also playing Rifts at the time so the GM simply said "a Rift opens and a dragon" which was the players character in Rifts "steps through and lifts you over the wall". We all laughed and went on.

Example 2: Player is flying a cruiser class vessel with a skill at about 98%, he is trying to pick up an escape pod under combat conditions and rolls a 100%. Roll for outcome and he nailed it at full military speed cracking it open like an egg spreading the friendly NPCs inside all over the hull. For the character he worked that into his character as a way to moderate his arrogance on piloting skills and all the characters had a bit of guilt as to how reckless they had been. To players, years of comedy material, just years of it.

When I play I am OK with skipping some simple or inconsequential rolls but when I GM, well in my universe I am not god, the dice are.

to me, the first one I wouldn't have rolled for, but the second one, because failure was interesting, I would roll for. Just so you understand my POV on it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

to me, the first one I wouldn't have rolled for, but the second one, because failure was interesting, I would roll for. Just so you understand my POV on it.

I understand that. I really only skip skill rolls if failure is unlikely, failure wouldn't matter, or if the act is so common that failure would be unrealistic so I can understand why someone would skip #1.