Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 pm

Champion

From the Weekly Update

Quote:
...It will be followed in a week or two by the re-edited and improved three original Rifts® Novels from the 1990's, one every two weeks or so.

I find the prospect of Rifts Fiction to be intriguing. My understanding had been that Kevin had little interest in doing more with novels based on his RPGs.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:49 pm

Knight

Hotrod wrote:
From the Weekly Update

Quote:
...It will be followed in a week or two by the re-edited and improved three original Rifts® Novels from the 1990's, one every two weeks or so.

I find the prospect of Rifts Fiction to be intriguing. My understanding had been that Kevin had little interest in doing more with novels based on his RPGs.

That's very nice to hear. Those were actually pretty fun books but the editing issues and typos were distracting so cleaning those up and reissuing them is a good idea.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:22 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Cool, I'll buy edited copies. Give me a convenient reason to read them again.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:09 pm

Palladin

Hotrod wrote:
From the Weekly Update

Quote:

from what it sounds, this isn't so much "more with novels" as it is "novels that already exist, but with another round of proofreading".

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Shark_Force wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
From the Weekly Update

Quote:

from what it sounds, this isn't so much "more with novels" as it is "novels that already exist, but with another round of proofreading".

Saying "another round of proofreading" would only be accurate if there had been a first round and I can tell you that would be a major and unfounded assumption. I believe I enjoyed the books more than most people did but wow did they need some editing.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:01 am

Champion

Warshield73 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
From the Weekly Update

Quote:

Saying "another round of proofreading" would only be accurate if there had been a first round and I can tell you that would be a major and unfounded assumption. I believe I enjoyed the books more than most people did but wow did they need some editing.

My understanding is that Maryann sent in a very early/rough version of Sonic Boom to the printers by mistake. You can see her explanation of what happened here (about halfway down the page).

There were also printing/binding/paper issues with Sonic Boom, I recall that the book fell apart as I read it.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:31 am

Champion

All the improved copy-editing in the world isn't gonna be enough to salvage anything good from a trilogy of amateur-written fanfic that never crossed the desk of a book editor.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:10 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Hotrod wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
From the Weekly Update

Quote:

My understanding is that Maryann sent in a very early/rough version of Sonic Boom to the printers by mistake. You can see her explanation of what happened here (about halfway down the page).

There were also printing/binding/paper issues with Sonic Boom, I recall that the book fell apart as I read it.

I had never heard this before but it doesn't surprise me. Like I said I liked the books more than most but it really needed better editing. As for the binding that is true. I'm not sure which one but one of the books fell apart completely and I ended up replacing it a 5 or so years ago in a grab bag.

Did these books even get a second printing? Only two of the books are still for sale on the website so are all of these still first printing?

Rallan wrote:
All the improved copy-editing in the world isn't gonna be enough to salvage anything good from a trilogy of amateur-written fanfic that never crossed the desk of a book editor.

In 1999 I would have said this was overly harsh and simply disagreed with your assessment, but now with all the self-published crap on Amazon, DriveThru, and other platforms the statement is just ridiculous.

Are these great books, no. Are they in the bottom half of books I have ever read from a small press or independent publishers, no not even close.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 pm

Knight

Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!
I can understand why they are re-issuing them with proper editing. Unfortunately too little too late imo. I would have preferred something new in terms of novels. At the very least either in the novels or on this site they should stat up the characters from the novels.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:33 pm

Hero

Comment: "Honk Honk Honk Mother ******! Where's your God now?" - Untitled Goose
They should do the republish through Amazin.

JOSHHILDEN.COM

Last edited by Josh Hilden on Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:00 pm

Champion

Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!
New Rifts novels? YES PLEASE!

Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:47 pm

Champion

Warshield73 wrote:
Rallan wrote:

In 1999 I would have said this was overly harsh and simply disagreed with your assessment, but now with all the self-published crap on Amazon, DriveThru, and other platforms the statement is just ridiculous.

Are these great books, no. Are they in the bottom half of books I have ever read from a small press or independent publishers, no not even close.

I'm not sure if "Actually you can find worse books if you sift through self-published authors in a market that has literally no quality control" is a glowing endorsement of the Rifts novels :)

Also it doesn't change the fact that the Rifts novels are trash that would never get past the slush pile in traditional publishing.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:04 am

Champion

Rallan wrote:
Also it doesn't change the fact that the Rifts novels are trash that would never get past the slush pile in traditional publishing.

I only read the first book, "Sonic Boom." I wouldn't call it trash. A few of its characters stand out as good portrayals. The dragon hatchling and the techno-wizard in particular seemed to capture what those character classes are about in a way that I still remember years later.

That said, it may be worth exploring how this book went astray as a novel. Sonic Boom featured a huge cast of characters and seemed to be put together like a Tom Clancy novel, where the perspective bounces around a lot. Unlike a Tom Clancy novel, there never seemed to be a unifying theme or direction to these perspectives, and many of the characters didn't seem to have any distinctive traits or serve a purpose beyond representing a specific O.C.C. Reading it, I got the sense that Adam Chilson was trying to take me on a tour of Rifts more than tell me a story.

I heard that the second and third novels were better, but I never read them.

I think it's important to point out that Palladium has published some very good Rifts-based fiction. Tales of the Chi-Town Burbs is a fine short story collection, and I've seen some solid stories in The Rifter. Rather than trash, I see "Sonic Boom" as a learning experience for a company that hadn't done any fiction publishing, by an author who had never written a novel before (I'm unaware of any other Chilson works before or since the Rifts novels).

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Palladin

Glad to hear it. Have read the first 2 but could not find the 3rd one. Also glad to hear the back story on what went on with these books. And I did enjoy reading them. Hope some more new novels come out in the future.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:29 pm

Wanderer

I would have liked the novels, if they'd been edited; the first was practically unreadable.
After they re-do these, I'm hoping they'll accept submissions. I've actually started the rough drafts of a couple of novels for Palladium Fantasy, and one for Rifts. I was just going to write them as fan-fic for my players and friends, but if submissions are accepted, I'd put forth the extra effort in writing.
A warning, though: I'm not. Big on sentence. Fragments. Unlike a lot of. Authors these days.
In other words, I hate books, game-related or other-wise, that make me think William Shatner had a hand in writing them.