Self-Published Palladium Material

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tick
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Self-Published Palladium Material

Unread post by Tick »

Yes this would be very good.
It would grow the game awareness and bring fresh ideas to the game table every where.

One can only hope...
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I'm not an expert, but tracing has its limits when you are trying to stay legal. My read is ok for a fan book, but probably not ok for anything with a profit. Just my 2 cents.

A good explanation of tracing, and how it relates to protected images and fair use.
https://theartistsjd.com/trace-source-imagery/

and a quick excerpt:

"When tracing probably isn’t legit
Exactly duplicating source imagery probably isn’t legit. (For example, making a photorealistic drawing of a photograph without making any changes.) This would be misappropriation. And likely isn’t fair use even if it was for non-commercial use because there’s no transformation and you remove the possibility of the photographer licensing his photograph for that purpose."

For what it is worth I would love to see an official update to the Modern Weapons book. As it is now I lean on certain websites, and make up my own stats when needed.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

RockJock wrote:I'm not an expert, but tracing has its limits when you are trying to stay legal. My read is ok for a fan book, but probably not ok for anything with a profit. Just my 2 cents.

A good explanation of tracing, and how it relates to protected images and fair use.
https://theartistsjd.com/trace-source-imagery/

and a quick excerpt:

"When tracing probably isn’t legit
Exactly duplicating source imagery probably isn’t legit. (For example, making a photorealistic drawing of a photograph without making any changes.) This would be misappropriation. And likely isn’t fair use even if it was for non-commercial use because there’s no transformation and you remove the possibility of the photographer licensing his photograph for that purpose."

For what it is worth I would love to see an official update to the Modern Weapons book. As it is now I lean on certain websites, and make up my own stats when needed.

I don't know... I read that and it still didn't definitively answer the underlying question. I believe it would be fine because it's such a rudimentary depiction of the actual photograph. Honestly though, my opinion is meaningless. It's a moot point since after a flurry of communication about this, all of the sudden I can't even get a simple email telling me that Palladium isn't interested, which if that's the case, is perfectly fine. I sincerely appreciate you sharing that, RockJock. Give me some time and I'll share what I have so far. It's a decent source.

Sort of related side note:
At my place of employment, I've had the displeasure of having to call the "company" attorney on several occasions to get clarification or guidance on various issues before being able to move forward. Whenever I did, I either regretted it (if making the call was my idea) or cursed my boss (if making the call was his idea). Why? Because the answer was ALWAYS a non-answer. :frust:

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”