Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Adventurer

This commercial from Carvana comes on all the time and every time I hear them say the word "Techno-Wizardry" it gets under my skin as a Palladium fan. I thought Palladium Books had that term as a registered trademark?

Carvana TV Commercial
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IO9B/carvana-th ... s-your-car

Is that not the case?

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Lukterran wrote:
This commercial from Carvana comes on all the time and every time I hear them say the word "Techno-Wizardry" it gets under my skin as a Palladium fan. I thought Palladium Books had that term as a registered trademark?

Carvana TV Commercial
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IO9B/carvana-th ... s-your-car

Is that not the case?

It is a PB trademark but this would not violate that. Saying an app is techno wizardy does not interfere with PBs use of there trademark and would not cause consumer confusion.

PB also has a trademark on the term Headhunter. If you create a cyborg character in a game and call it a headhunter PB could try to sue them but they can not sue someone who finds people a job who calls themselves a Headhunter. Same would apply to techno wizardry I would think.

Kind of a stupid commercial though.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:02 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Meh
yeah, you can have trademarks across different marketing types and as long as they don't interfere or confuse the customer base on either side, its perfectly fine.

DeadWinter Podcast - a Dead Reign Day 1 Actual Play Podcast

Unread postPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 12:15 pm

Hero

Comment: "Honk Honk Honk Mother ******! Where's your God now?" - Untitled Goose
Is it even actually trademarked or does it just have the little TM symbol?

JOSHHILDEN.COM

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:03 am

Explorer

Comment: Defiling Heir
Don't know if this is relevant to mention all these years later (I believe the book, which I own a copy of, dates from 2000-2002 or so), but Werewolf: the Apocalypse's 2nd Edition 'Book Of The Wyrm' has a Fomori/Pentex optional First Team weapon called a 'Vibro-Blade', which by its description sounds one heck of a lot like it was inspired by the Rifts' Vibro-Blades and charged weaponry: '...an edged weapon, infused with an electricity elemental spirit...'. While the description could be parallel evolution of a 'fetish weapon' (while the Rifts weapon type is entirely technological), that is, a weapon powered and created partly using spirit-magick, in regards to Rifts/Palladium's Vibro-Blades, the fact that the name of the W:tA weapon is pretty much identical to the Rifts bladed energy-assisted weapon as well is a bit telling.

-Boe.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:50 am

Palladin

vibro blades aren't owned by anyone. much like railguns, they were originally a science fiction device based on real science which can actually be made - look up ultrasonic cutters some time.

of course, rifts vibro-blades aren't exactly the same thing - they use some kind of energy field that vibrates, which is slightly different. still, the principle, and the name, were never unique to rifts; rather, it is a real life concept that rifts included into their games the same way they included laser pistols and such.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Knight

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
WEG's version of Star Wars had them as well and I'm pretty sure they had come out before Palladium used them in Rifts, but don't hold me to that. Regardless though Shark_Force is right it's not something they'd be able to copyright/trademark anyway.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:06 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
Daniel Stoker wrote:
WEG's version of Star Wars had them as well and I'm pretty sure they had come out before Palladium used them in Rifts, but don't hold me to that. Regardless though Shark_Force is right it's not something they'd be able to copyright/trademark anyway.

Daniel Stoker

You are correct, WEG did have vibro blades and axes in there Star Wars. But even the old Star Frontiers game from like 1983 had vibro weapons so they have been around for a long time before Rifts.

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:25 pm

Explorer

I didn't realize vibro-blades (or weapons bearing that technology) covered that much ground in gaming and background (no less so that they are used as a real-world technology for cutting tools). I humbly withdraw my 'copyright claim', as it were. Thank you all for filling me in, and the thorough correction! :)

-Boe.

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:58 pm

Knight

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
NP, most of us here are just old. :p

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 9:38 pm

Explorer

Hah! I consider it an extreme compliment to be an Official Greymuzzle and be referred to as a younger pup in the same post and sentence. :) I know the first place I saw the term used (in what I'd read and been familiar with) was in the Rifts RPG when I got my copy of the 1st Ed. mainbook in 1991, but that's me and mine, and not all of what ground the term 'vibro-blade' covered before that, nor a similar technology's use IRL. I submit that 30 years of being a Palladium Madfan has kept me young in my outlook and desire to create what I've managed to reel out over the last number of years.

Thanks again for both posting back, and for the polite and informative correction thus!

-Boe.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Sosyourfacist

Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!
John Thunder from the Centurions used a vibro-knife and that cartoon is from the 80s

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:11 am

Adventurer

Mix between technology and magic either just in a philopsophical view (as in Babylon 5) or as Shadowrun or other games are quite common. As long as a game involving both the premise of wizardry/sorcery and high tech. I am fairly certain that this will occur.

I used Tecno-wizardry in my own RPG that I made, though I made mine more like Babylon 5 but with the ability to put magic and tech together. Instead of having them be like WW1 surfer dudes on ley lines with the ability to cast spells.