Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 2:24 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: Meh
Hey folks.

I wasn't sure where to share this, but I started up a new series on my youtube channel to go over Palladium products, I started with Palladium Roleplaying (Fantasy 1e) and character creation.

I do plan on further exploring 1e Fantasy, moving along into other products such as RIFTS.

Will be part advice (based on my opinion and experience) and review of things I find interesting.

Please be kind, and throw me a few likes, and if you enjoy things, subscribe. Otherwise thank you for your time!

Start of the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqh-qhpSAPk

DeadWinter Podcast - a Dead Reign Day 1 Actual Play Podcast

Unread postPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
Wait, you are a party of roll high? I JUST started listening to Ready to believe. Small world

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Wait, you are a party of roll high? I JUST started listening to Ready to believe. Small world

Yep. That’s my play group. That game had a rough start, but got better after episode 3. Thanks for listening! We have a bunch of other games, a few Palladium ones coming up soon!

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:17 am

Adventurer

hah, cool. I wish I could remember how I picked up that podcast, maybe I caught you advertising elsewhere, or just saw Ghostbusters and went with it.

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 10:31 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
hah, cool. I wish I could remember how I picked up that podcast, maybe I caught you advertising elsewhere, or just saw Ghostbusters and went with it.

hey, glad you grabbed it. hope you enjoy. You're Zero on discord, right? I'm theEvilDM on there as well. We've talked about doing collaboration together, youtube and audio podcasts. I'm up for the idea.

Grabbed a bunch of your podcasts on my phone to listen to while I drive into work, good stuff.

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:12 am

Adventurer

Indeed I am. And I look forward to us doing something. If you have any thoughts about my dark city of Cascade game, feel free to shoot me a line

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 11:31 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:
Indeed I am. And I look forward to us doing something. If you have any thoughts about my dark city of Cascade game, feel free to shoot me a line

Yeah, I appreciate you going to mention my youtube as well, trying to get the word out. Plan on doing a lot of tips and reviews for palladium stuff.

Where does that start? I am at the beginning right now, Robotech. You don't have episode numbers listed, so tell me where that one starts?

Unread postPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Added a 2e Fantasy character creation steps video to my youtube
https://youtu.be/8V3aawv22S0

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:44 am

Explorer

Comment: Defiling Heir
Have watched two of your posted Youtube videos so far (both regarding Palladium Fantasy 1st/Revised/2nd), and I'm impressed with both your elocution and similarity to how I've gone about making characters- or at the very least, brainstorming their backgrounds, coupled with the Palladium Megaversal character-creation method- with the only complaint I've got is your sticking to Humans as your chosen race for both demonstrations. One of Palladium Fantasy's (and Rifts') greatest strengths, as both player and content creator, I strongly believe is the ability to make PCs as needed or desired that would in many other games (and many fewer games still when either the PFRPG or Rifts each came out) be relegated to cannon-fodder or NPC villains. Even in the first Palladium Book I owned (and if I'm remembering right, the first gamebook I ever bought, period), Monsters & Animals Revised (1988, bought in 1989), that unusual option was regularly stressed in making a character.

I know some 'monster races' are outside of the comfort zone of many players, but it was the only deficiency I would say was involved in the two PFRPG Youtube videos I've seen of yours, and in all fairness it's a minor quibble on my part. I'm planning on putting aside a weekend in the near future to have a look at a number of your other posts. Thank you for sharing them with me!

-Boe.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:04 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Boethermsbrukan wrote:
Have watched two of your posted Youtube videos so far (both regarding Palladium Fantasy 1st/Revised/2nd), and I'm impressed with both your elocution and similarity to how I've gone about making characters- or at the very least, brainstorming their backgrounds, coupled with the Palladium Megaversal character-creation method- with the only complaint I've got is your sticking to Humans as your chosen race for both demonstrations. One of Palladium Fantasy's (and Rifts') greatest strengths, as both player and content creator, I strongly believe is the ability to make PCs as needed or desired that would in many other games (and many fewer games still when either the PFRPG or Rifts each came out) be relegated to cannon-fodder or NPC villains. Even in the first Palladium Book I owned (and if I'm remembering right, the first gamebook I ever bought, period), Monsters & Animals Revised (1988, bought in 1989), that unusual option was regularly stressed in making a character.

I know some 'monster races' are outside of the comfort zone of many players, but it was the only deficiency I would say was involved in the two PFRPG Youtube videos I've seen of yours, and in all fairness it's a minor quibble on my part. I'm planning on putting aside a weekend in the near future to have a look at a number of your other posts. Thank you for sharing them with me!

-Boe.

Thank you for the comments and checking out the videos, I appreciate it. I always try to comment and interact with everyone that takes the time to make a comment or suggestion for me.

I didn't even think about how I automatically picked humans for both, interesting. I can only think the reason I did that was because I tend to lean towards playing humans and also they were the easiest example to draw up for the video to get my points across. I will have to remind myself in the future to think outside the box a bit more.

Thank you for the excellent observation and feedback.

Unread postPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm

Explorer

Comment: Defiling Heir
EvilDM, good evening, and I hope your weekend's started out well!

TheEvilDM wrote:
Thank you for the comments and checking out the videos, I appreciate it. I always try to comment and interact with everyone that takes the time to make a comment or suggestion for me.

It's a pleasure to see so vividly the joy of someone putting together a character in Palladium Fantasy, without a lot of fluff and with a thinking person's tone and attitude. I'm rather fond of the fact that you made a point of discussing the 'Percentage change of Cannibalism' optional rule in character creation, something that to this day I've found so unusual in any role-playing game PC creation sequence (however optional) without being excessive or obtuse. I mean, in a medieval-sort-of setting like Palladia/The Palladium World, it's not necessarily unimportant, if we're talking about dozens of species in multiple biomes and social groups, who in a harsh winter or famine of some sort, might not look at it as being out of the question.

TheEvilDM wrote:
I didn't even think about how I automatically picked humans for both, interesting. I can only think the reason I did that was because I tend to lean towards playing humans and also they were the easiest example to draw up for the video to get my points across. I will have to remind myself in the future to think outside the box a bit more.

I understand entirely; I first got into Palladium Fantasy because of the Wolfen and Canine Races (of which Boethermsbrukan IC is a member of that species and society), and which were a huge part of the appeal for me. Most RPGs do one of two things when it comes to humanoid animals as PC races: either 1) they encourage or force a PC character to align to an 'animal stereotype' (depending on the phenotype or species) or 2) treat them as 'second-class citizens' in-game, just a few steps short of being (and being trusted as not much more than) a potential NPC adversary, and deliberately knocking down their natural abilities or physical stats from what they would otherwise be as NPCs (and not player characters). The Palladium Fantasy RPG (and games like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles & Other Strangeness' and After The Bomb, and Rifts being others by Palladium Books who have multiple humanoid or sapient animal or animal-like species as optional character RCCs or races) treated the Wolfen and their allies as a major power. Even Orcs, relegated to being cannon-fodder a great deal of the time, are touted as being '...extremely protective of their young, and abandoned young of all races; they will often adopt them into their clans and families as equals...' (I believe it's written thus in the 2nd Ed. mainbook). What other game treats an orc like they're as human as other, more 'civilized' races, in that way even moreso?

TheEvilDM wrote:
Thank you for the excellent observation and feedback.

Thank you for putting together a level-headed video with one of my favourite RPGs on a totally level playing field, ami. I enjoyed the heck out of watching the first two I've seen on your Youtube channel (again, specific to Palladium 1st/Revised and 2nd Edition, respectively) and I intend to visit it regularly, even once I've seen the bulk of the videos you've posted; the manner you take in both character creation and how you rationalize decisions you've made and clearly-stated, reasonable opinions regarding Palladium's Megaversal System and games you've reviewed, have been both refreshing and exceptionally comfortable to watch you go into the process. People like you are the sort of GM I wish I'd had the fortune of being in their group when I got started in gaming.

Stay frosty in the head, warm in the heart, and have a great weekend! It's an extreme pleasure to have made your acquaintance, ami.

-Boe.