'Modern Day' Rifts

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kidbooo
Newb

'Modern Day' Rifts

Unread post by Kidbooo »

Hello everyone,,
I'm a frequent visitor to the PalladiumBooks Chat and GM several Games on Roll20 (since 2014.) I've been reading a lot of the discussions here on Reddit from various players and wonder why I'm having such a hard time finding players to hangout with online.

To the player looking to create an Inspector Gadget PC - There's the Androids from the Rifts Sourcebook One (Robots) where you can build your own AI or Transfered Intelligence that is Rifts Legit. Of course, the 'Gagets' aren't so pulpy like the 1970's cartoon (I knew the colorist of that show in the 90s - they also did Magic School Bus and the Toothbrush Family.) If you are looking for more of a 'Super Hero' buid, the Powers Unlimited Books have some interesting powers you can put together and then put them through the Conversion Book. But, I would simply suggest going through a Full Conversion Cyborg build.

To the player looking to ask others about their experience on Roll20 - I really enjoy the interface. I use Discord for chat - but I have a Free Account and I find images online to build my own maps (city, village, farmland, forest... Trying to find better objects to make winter settings, jungle settings and desert settings... But, all one needs is a basic understanding of Photoshop, make images into .png and upload - make sure the images are small.) But it's a lot of work to find the right images to use, enhance them in Photoshop, generate a map - that I make into a .jpeg - because it takes up less space... Open the image as wide as you can in photoshop and then Print Screen, Copy/Paste in Paint - and save as .jpeg.

I've equally generated an extensive game generator - generating entire games with main plots, sub plots, character motivation, moods, threats, random encounters that include animals, DBees, Mutants, Monsters, Demons and natural disasters including Ley Line Storms. I even create individual characters with stats, descriptions and motivations/dispositions. I have an open invite in LFG for players of Rifts looking to run a pick-up game - Emosparks: Rifts Architect. I generate mostly Adventures in North America and NGR (for now.)

I'm also running a Dimension Exploration Game with a group of Rifters, Shifters, Rift Runners (mostly True Atlanteans...) that's a lot of fun - through using the roll tables from the Megaversal Builder. The players are having a lot of fun exploring strange dimensions filled with treasures, threats and adventure.

Roll20 really helps you generate random events through its Macros and various Tables. Another technique I use (and it works oddly) are Tarot Cards. Roll20 has a Card Game option where GMs can upload game cards to play online - I replace them with a full deck of Tarot Cards and roll 3 (beginning, middle, end) and look up the descriptions online. Typically, this helps build a very detailed Adventure Game that is character driven. It's a lot of fun.

My solution to running games on Roll20 is to generate short games - advance the players quickly so that they feel like they are progressing - and simply make the games more challenging for higher level characters - mutant animals, to mutant humans, to dbees, to evil cyborgs, to evil mages and psychics, and then going into supernatural evil. There's a quick progression so that there is momentum and players aren't getting too confused with the ever changing game. Treat Game ONE as an independent game - Launch Game Two as an independent game and so on... I've created a generator that rolls ups extra xp, credits, magic and/or gems and metals and new secondary skills for the players to simulate progress outside of games.

I've met some not so good players on Roll20 and I've met some really good players on Roll20 - some guys I consider friends, even if we never met in person. It's a great experience. All of you on Reddit who haven't joined Roll20 - do so - A free account is good enough...

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”