I hope ther some Good News for BtS in 2019.

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

I hope ther some Good News for BtS in 2019.

Unread post by gaby »

I hope ther will some Good News for BtS in 2019?

I would love to known Tome Grotesque and Beyond Arcanum will be out in 2019 or 2020 but if ther too hard maybe you guys can try Adventure soucebooks using Pcc,s Monsters and Adventures you have from Rifter.

What do you think?
Last edited by gaby on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: I hope ther some Good News for BtS in 2019.

Unread post by zerombr »

I lost some love for BTS when they changed the ISP system for it. I find it weird and clumsy. If you use ISP too early before the right phase, you're left with dang near nothing to use later.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

zerombr wrote:I lost some love for BTS when they changed the ISP system for it. I find it weird and clumsy. If you use ISP too early before the right phase, you're left with dang near nothing to use later.

I know some people who do a fair job of house-ruling their games to make things workable and interesting!
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Jack Burton wrote:
zerombr wrote:I lost some love for BTS when they changed the ISP system for it. I find it weird and clumsy. If you use ISP too early before the right phase, you're left with dang near nothing to use later.

I know some people who do a fair job of house-ruling their games to make things workable and interesting!

I like what the ISP system is going for, that real world but with psionics and magic and this is why psychics can't demonstrate it in the lab, but it does really limit what the PCs can do. I have played under 2 or 3 different house rules that make it a lot better though so I think the setting itself is still salvagable.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

oh certainly, one can ignore that ISP multiplier thing and have a great game. I just feel that one particular monkey wrench sorta hurts the game a little overall.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

zerombr wrote:oh certainly, one can ignore that ISP multiplier thing and have a great game. I just feel that one particular monkey wrench sorta hurts the game a little overall.

I actually disagree with the ignore part. Like I sadi I agree with the goal of the ISP multiplier, I mean BTS tries for more of a real world feel than any other PB game, so if you give Psychics a standard level of ISP like you see in Rifts or Heroes you would basically make it Heroes or Rifts.

I personaly don't run BTS. Much like Nightbane I don't run them as their own game I just use the material to add to Heroes Unlimited so I don't really use the ISP modifier.
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

a fair point for realism, but it also encourages a ton of metagaming to think. "I can't use any powers now otherwise when the next multiplier hits, I'll have nothing!"
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

The other way they could have made the same effect is basically make every mundane person a low intensity nega-psychic, thus damping down abilities except during major supernatural incidents.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador

zerombr wrote:a fair point for realism, but it also encourages a ton of metagaming to think. "I can't use any powers now otherwise when the next multiplier hits, I'll have nothing!"

You could consider it metagaming but then again it is just like conserving ammunition. Sometimes it's metagaming when players want to conserve ammunition at the beginning of an adventure because they know there is more to come but it is also real life, you fire only when you need to because you may need to later.

If a person had real life psychic abilities they would learn quickly that they have limited power, ISP, and that they should save that power for an R3D and use it less to float the TV remote.
Slab Riffjaw
D-Bee

Unread post by Slab Riffjaw »

Going back to the OP...1000%. I use both versions and mix and match without much bother. I've found that BtS blends with other source materials brilliantly and with the current taste for underpowered protagonists it was way ahead of it's time. With some tastey beastie books to throw on the fire we could rekindle the flames of what is an amazingly fun and much loved game around the world. Here's hoping!
The Rolling Paradox...I love Rifts but loathe giant robots. What's a guy to do?
Jack Burton
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Jack Burton »

What I love about BtS is that there aren't volumes of lore that you have to be familiar with in order to play the game and play it well. Sure, there's Victor Lazlo and the Lazlo Agency/Society, some monsters and a secret society or nasty bugger here or there, but by and large, you just pick up and play without having to memorize countless sourcebooks in order to tell a compelling and complete story. Rifts and Palladium Fantasy are two that come to mind which are difficult to play if you don't know the backstories. Triax? No idea what that is. It sounds like a cleaning product I'd use on my bathroom countertops. Hinterlands? Sounds like a popular German vacation spot... again, no idea. Perhaps the lack of sourcebooks account for BtS-2 being so forgiving in that regard. Anyhow, like Slab Riffjaw touched on, its adaptability is what's so appealing to me (among other things). I hope that as new sourcebooks come out, that feel isn't lost as more information is added.

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”