New to the Forums - Looking for Advice

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

What is the best system to use to get familiar with the Palladium System

Rifts
16%
Rifts: Chaos Earth
No votes
Heroes Unlimited
11%
Palladium Fantasy
42%
Beyond the Supernatural
5%
Dead Reign
No votes
Nightbane
No votes
Splicers
No votes
Ninjas & Superspies
5%
After the Bomb
11%
Other Suggestion (Please Elaborate)
11%

Total votes: 19

Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

New to the Forums - Looking for Advice

Unread post by Captain_Nibbz »

Hello to everyone out there in the Megaverse!

I am new to posting here on the forums (though I've been lurking here off and on since 2006ish) and thought that introducing myself would be the polite thing to do. User name is captain_nibbz, I'm in my late 20's and have been playing RPGs since I was about 12 years old. A good friend of mine (who used to post back in the day under the name zeta_ridley) introduced me to the hobby using a homebrew mashup of several different games (mainly Palladium Fantasy and 2e/3e D&D) that he inherited from a relative. Since these early days I have had an inherent love and fascination with the settings and artwork of Palladium books. Started GMing shortly after that and have been stuck behind the screen ever since.

Until the last few years, I've been of the mentality that old = bad. And Palladium's system is nothing if not old school, which always kept me from truly running a game using the system. However, when the OSR was in full swing I thought I would try it out and fell in love with Basic D&D. Since then I've been branching out and experimenting with other systems and looking at things from a different perspective.

When Wizards of the Coast released the newest edition of "worlds greatest roleplaying game" I played that and found out that the modern mentality of gaming just isn't that great. Which brought me around full swing back to looking at the games that so inspired me back in the day and got me into the hobby. This inevitably brought me back to Palladium and its plethora of wonderful settings and games.

So here I am, posting to the forums for the first time, looking for some advice.

The big question for me is: where do I start? I've been mulling around reading some of the books, and I just can't decide what I should do first! Currently I am leaning towards either Beyond the Supernatural (1e), Systems Failure, or Dead Reign. Do you fine folks have any suggestions on what the best introductory system for Palladium would be?

Thanks in advance!
Captain_Nibbz :D
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: New to the Forums - Looking for Advice

Unread post by zerombr »

Hello Captain. I recommend Fantasy proper. Its a concept most people are already familiar with, so you can tell comfortable stories in it if you're already familiar with D&D. Things can be regional there, meaning that if you set your game in the Eastern Territory, you've only got so many things that can happen. I suggest learn and enjoy basic hand to hand combat before anything else. then adjust for magic and psionics until you get a feel for it all.

Only after that would I suggest going into my favorite setting, Heroes.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Well, since you're familiar with the Fantasy genre (according to your post) I would say start with Palladium Fantasy. Similar concepts between both should help your transition.
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Seems like solid advice. I think you're both right about using the fantasy game easing the transition into the system itself. I think it will help both myself and my players.

Do you have any suggestions on a region that would work best? Are there any well known quirks or anything that I should know going into it?
A good friend will help you hide a body. A best friend will lend you the P.P.E. you need to resurrect the body as a loyal zombie servant.

"If I kept a list of all time worst Sound Off threads, this would be way up there." - Mack
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Seems like solid advice. I think you're both right about using the fantasy game easing the transition into the system itself. I think it will help both myself and my players.

Do you have any suggestions on a region that would work best? Are there any well known quirks or anything that I should know going into it?

Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I agree with the above posts, the only reason I recommend Rifts is because it is the most popular setting and it has everything Palladium. Magic, Psionics, special powers and MDC so once you've learned it all the other games are easy.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

1st Edition BtS is as good of a place to start as any.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

I'd say the Eastern Territory, but honestly about anywhere works. The Western Empire is a bit more classic arabia, but the east is all city states and wilderness. So that's where I'd go. Less politics to deal with
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Captain_Nibbz wrote:A good friend of mine (who used to post back in the day under the name zeta_ridley) introduced me to the hobby using a homebrew mashup of several different games (mainly Palladium Fantasy and 2e/3e D&D) that he inherited from a relative.
[snip]
The big question for me is: where do I start? I've been mulling around reading some of the books, and I just can't decide what I should do first! Currently I am leaning towards either Beyond the Supernatural (1e), Systems Failure, or Dead Reign. Do you fine folks have any suggestions on what the best introductory system for Palladium would be?

Thanks in advance!
Captain_Nibbz :D

Greetings and Salutations. Well, that will depend a bit on you. I'll provide two answers, with different reasoning/advice.

1: I'm going to agree with Killer Cyborg that Beyond the Supernatural, first edition, is a good start. This is a modern setting, which makes it relatively easy to immerse yourself (and others). The system is also fairly easy, focusing primarily on psionics. This, to me, would make it a good starter setting. However, because it's basically a single book (there is a single expansion for 1st Edition; Boxed Nightmares, if you can find it), you'll have to do a lot of the work yourself.

2: As others have said, Palladium Fantasy. Sounds like you already have some experience, and with D&D and Pathfinder so popular a fantasy setting isn't difficult for people to wrap their heads around. There's quite a few setting books, which helps a G.M. build the world, but not so many that it's overwhelming. Basically, enough books to help build the world, but few enough they're realistic to obtain all (or most) of them. You can start off with just the main book (all that's really needed), and allow you to obtain more books slowly (but with a realistic end in sight). The setting goes between characters with no special powers, magic, and psionics. Finding a balance between those can be tricky for some new Game Masters.

Settings I would not suggest starting with ...

A: Rifts. A popular setting, but I recommend getting a good feel for Palladium before jumping into that one. The setting has many, many books, so many that you'll either need a lot of time or a lot of money to try and obtain them all. The power levels vary greatly, and M.D.C. vs. S.D.C. can be tricky just starting off. Keep in mind, some of these features are considered selling points for the setting. But I still don't recommend it to start. Basically similar to my notes about Palladium Fantasy, only x10 (or x100).

B: Dead Reign. Another modern (post-apocalyptic) setting, but with zombies! A zombie game might sound like fun and I've never personally played it, but I've read some mixed reviews and potential issues with the rules (such as head shots). This is not for everyone, and I'd be saddened if you had a bad experience with it and it pushed you away from Palladium as a result. I'd recommend getting more familiar with the rules of a different setting first, then trying this one and see what you think.

For quirks in the game: This is kind of a general note, but Palladium doesn't really put balance into the game. So, for example, in Palladium Fantasy if you put a Mercenary Warrior against a Mind Mage in a fight, and you'll see one side with a clear advantage. This, to many, is considered a feature, not a bug. Life isn't fair after all. But this can be tricky for some new to the system, especially if the game focuses mostly on combat.

For a starting location in Palladium Fantasy, I agree with zerombr, Eastern Territory is a good starting location (for basically the same reason he mentioned). The Eastern Territory is a good starting spot because it also allows for conflict with the Wolfen Empire, travel to the Old Kingdom (domain of monsters), Timiro (a bigger, more organized kingdom), or potential coastal adventures all with the same language. For Palladium Fantasy books in general, this is my usual list ...

Spoiler:
The most useful two books for starting the collection are the following:

1) Monsters & Animals. Lots of monsters, both playable and potential enemies (ranging from minor annoyance to big bad). Also, it has animal stats which are useful for pets, random encounters, familiars, and more. I'd call this one essential after the main book.

2) Dragons & Gods. It includes dragons, elementals, spirits of light, A.I., and gods. Even if none of those things appeal to you, they come in handy if someone is playing a clergy type or a warlock. Also provides a few hidden clues to the setting and such. If none if those things appeal to you though, feel free to pass. This is more likely for very high powered campaigns and/or NPC.

After those two it becomes a lot more personal taste. I'd recommend whichever location the game is going to be set. So if the Western Empire is the campaign setting, get the Western Empire book. I'll provide some added info all the same.

Old Ones: Timiro setting, and a high level campaign included.

Adventures on the High Seas: Bizantium setting. Lots of island adventures, a plethora of new O.C.C., stats on ships, and a few hidden notes (like Kingdom colors based upon nation flags). Highly recommended by me.

Wolfen Empire: Lots of Wolfen Empire info. If that's where the campaign will take place, you're playing a Wolfen, or you just like the furry humanoids, a good pick. If you prefer, you can go with the two classic [Further] Adventures in the Northern Wilderness books. Wolfen Empire is effectively those two books combined. There are definite differences, but you needn't worry about that too much just starting off.

Island at the Edge of the World: First edition adventure book. While it has setting info too, I won't recommend it for starting your collection.

Yin-Sloth Jungles: Another 1st Edition book. Lots of O.C.C. and monsters, but they'll all need to be converted. Setting info too. Good book, but due to the need conversions I don't recommend it to start off.

Western Empire: Good if this is where the campaign will be held or you want to use them as bad guys. While different, for a quick analogy I think if them like the CS. Even if you don't want to be them, still nice to have their stats when the players face them. Also has some new magic/Alchemists items, if you're into that kind of thing.

Baalgor Wastelands: Another setting book. Lots of new monsters/races. I personally really enjoy this book. However if you're not looking for new monsters/races and you're not interested in the area, it may not hold much use for a new comer to PF. I still think it's a cool book, but your mileage may vary.

Mount Nimro: Giants! A few new O.C.C., but mostly restricted to giants and that region.

Eastern Territory: Another area book. Good if you want a game there. As a G.M., it's one of my favorite places to start a game (if I'm sticking to the established setting).

Library of Bletherad: Very useful book in many ways, but also limited. They give you new schools of magic, but no way to learn them and no O.C.C. info. Rune items you can't find, etc. Also gives some setting info such as Currency and a few other gems like that. I think it's great, but more flavor and something to build/expand upon than a use as is (to me). Probably not something I'd recommend fresh out, but an early addition later. If someone is going TO the library, then essential, of course.

Northern Hinterlands: Region specific, but good book. More designed as a lead-in for the Land of the Damned though. Lots of optional O.C.C. such as Blacksmith and Artisan. Also has the Barbarians, which some people really like. Your mileage may very upon personal tastes.

Land of the Damned 1&2: Good books, but not really my type of thing. I don't use them, and actually avoid them (primarily because some of the races for it are super munchy, and after it first came out you see almost everyone trying to make one of these super ultra rare races that you never find outside this specific region, which ultimately ticked me off). High level stuff. If you're running a high powered campaign, sure. Otherwise I suggest avoiding until later. Even if you find the books interesting, not very useful for someone starting out and region specific more designed for epic level games.

Bizantium and the Northern Islands: Region specific, again. This will cover far more information on Bizantium than the High Seas book (above), and great if you want sea adventures. There's a few new O.C.C., a few new skills, and even a new type of enemy for the area.

Mysteries of Magic: I've never read much of this book myself, as my players have always avoided magic like the plague (not sure why). There are some mixed feelings on this book (from what I've seen), in part because it was meant as a series of books and the others never came out. The book does introduced new spells and various new information on magic in general. There are a few new O.C.C. (and O.C.C. variants), but can't say I've ever heard much good about them or the skills. If you want to expand on magic in general, this can be a useful addition, even for a Rifts setting. However, unless you love magic and want all the information you can have on it, this probably isn't a high priority book. From what I've seen, it tends to be often forgotten.
If you do want to expand your collection, right now there's the Christmas Surprise Packages (Grab Bags). There's still 3 days left, and a fairly decent deal if you live in the U.S.:

http://palladium-store.com/1001/product ... ckage.html

In addition, Palladium Fantasy also has an electronic Game Master Kit (Rifts has one as well), as well as Paper Minis. Note: I'm aiming to get a couple of additional G.M. tools for PF as well, but we'll see how that goes.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php ... from=&pto=

Anyways, that's just a quick rundown from my point of view. I hope that helps. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

1st Ed Robotech.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

The Beast wrote:1st Ed Robotech.

i disagree, throwing a mech into the mix means you have 'two layers' of character right off the bat, then there comes down to all the extra piloting stuff, weapons options, range, and chaff. All that and the OP hasn't even gotten into basic strike/parry/dodge items.
Captain_Nibbz
Adventurer

Hey, thanks everyone for the feedback. This has helped me out a lot. All of the feedback you fine folks have given has been great and helped me to make my decision.

For a bit more context, I run two games week: one with my whole group every Friday night, and another game that I run for just myself and my wife a couple nights a week when we have free time. So what I've decided is that I'm going to use the Palladium Fantasy for the one on one game, as it will give me the most practice with the system itself and help me to get the the quirks down and practice more, and then use Beyond the Supernatural for the game with the whole group of Fridays.

We actually had our first group game yesterday morning where we rolled up characters and set up the campaign. If anyone is interested in hearing how it went, I'll post a session write up over on the BtS boards. I'm also planning on sitting down with my wife tonight to roll up characters for a Palladium Fantasy game, so we'll see how all that goes as well.

Again, thank you to everyone for the helpful suggestions (especially the breakdowns of the various fantasy books left by Prysus). I'm looking forward to being a part of this community. :D

Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

zerombr wrote:

i disagree, throwing a mech into the mix means you have 'two layers' of character right off the bat, then there comes down to all the extra piloting stuff, weapons options, range, and chaff. All that and the OP hasn't even gotten into basic strike/parry/dodge items.

I am going to disagree with your disagreement! :)

1st Ed doesn't introduce a whole lot of Psionics and/or Magic. Basically it's a Modern setting with one fantastical element. Once you get the hang of it, it translates easier to other genre's (Heroes Unlimited, Rifts, TMNT/ATB).
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Tiree wrote:
zerombr wrote:

1st Ed doesn't introduce a whole lot of Psionics and/or Magic. Basically it's a Modern setting with one fantastical element. Once you get the hang of it, it translates easier to other genre's (Heroes Unlimited, Rifts, TMNT/ATB).

That's pretty much what I was about to say.
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

hah! Well then, lets see where it goes. :D
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Beast wrote:
Tiree wrote:
zerombr wrote:

That's pretty much what I was about to say.

Also, "two layers of characters" should help players start with the right ideas if/when they move to Rifts.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Welcome!!! It depends on what you mean. If you mean learn core, how to play the system then I would suggest the more basic games like Palladium Fantasy or maybe Beyond the Supernatural. If your talking about learning about the worlds then I would suggest Rifts used to wander the whole Megaverse
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”