Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 am
  

D-Bee

Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:21 am
Posts: 3
So my Gm have me permission to make an experiment in rifts earth, however I randomly rolled for several things one of them is "increased mass" we have been unable to locate anything close to it for a conversion, as we both see it completely unreasonable for someone with a normal P.S. of 16 to walk around at all with an extra 300 pounds on them. The side effect is this "physical proportions are unchanged, but mass/weight is increased; add 1d4×100lbs to weight, decrease speed attribute by 20%, and -10% to climb, acrobatics and gymnastic skills. Add1d4x10+20sdc And +6 to dmg from punches and kicks, and add 1d6+4 to P.S" my question is this, would the side effect also give a strengthing ability like extra ordinary strength or would the character just never be able to walk around because they arnt strong enough to move themselves.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:58 am
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:16 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Rifts Denmark
Try not to conflate your lifting weight from ps into having to also be used to carry your own weight around. Otherwise a character with a ps of 9 can only carry 90 pounds even though he might be a slender 120 pound person, he'd be unable to move. A 340 pound man does not have a strength of 34 just because he can get out of a chair. Thats not how ps works. the 90 pound carry is in addition to your ability to move around. In the case of additional mass, it not only gives you additional strength, but also a 20% hindrance to mobility, so it agrees that the extra weight will slow you down, but not to the point of making you an invalid... Given a 170 pound character that rolled straight 9's, but rolled horribly on the experimental side effect, we're talking about topping out at 4 miles per hourish, so yeah, pretty slow, and still able to move around freely (indefinite unpenalized mobility) while carrying the ps14's 140 extra pounds *on top* of his own robust 570 pound physique.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:44 pm
  

User avatar
Hero

Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:24 pm
Posts: 1076
Location: Praxus
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
this is actually a good example why super humans would not always be so awesome in a sci-fi MDC setting. They'd only be at an advantage when in a controlled town where weapons and armor are confiscated.

_________________
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:01 pm
  

Palladin

Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:11 pm
Posts: 7015
Shorty Lickens wrote:
this is actually a good example why super humans would not always be so awesome in a sci-fi MDC setting. They'd only be at an advantage when in a controlled town where weapons and armor are confiscated.


possibly true for some super powers. not remotely true for others.

i mean, if we're talking energy expulsion, then sure, most of the time you're doing less damage than the best energy rifles out there, and probably at worse range. if we're talking something that gives you automatic dodge or natural MDC, however, you've got a significant advantage regardless. it isn't like you can't use the exact same MD weapons and gear that everyone else does, after all.

(well, with the exception of the transformation powers, but in those cases you've still got an advantage; they typically give huge amounts of MDC, some fairly strong attacks, and often some utility or mobility options, and your MDC can recover by natural healing instead of needing a repair shop and tens of thousands of credits)


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:52 pm
  

User avatar
Priest

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2001 2:01 am
Posts: 28064
Location: In the ocean, punching oncoming waves
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay
Vincent Takeda wrote:
Try not to conflate your lifting weight from ps into having to also be used to carry your own weight around. Otherwise a character with a ps of 9 can only carry 90 pounds even though he might be a slender 120 pound person, he'd be unable to move. A 340 pound man does not have a strength of 34 just because he can get out of a chair. Thats not how ps works. the 90 pound carry is in addition to your ability to move around. In the case of additional mass, it not only gives you additional strength, but also a 20% hindrance to mobility, so it agrees that the extra weight will slow you down, but not to the point of making you an invalid... Given a 170 pound character that rolled straight 9's, but rolled horribly on the experimental side effect, we're talking about topping out at 4 miles per hourish, so yeah, pretty slow, and still able to move around freely (indefinite unpenalized mobility) while carrying the ps14's 140 extra pounds *on top* of his own robust 570 pound physique.



^^^^THIS

How much you can lift/carry does NOT include your own body weight.

_________________
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:54 pm
  

User avatar
Dungeon Crawler

Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:16 pm
Posts: 217
Location: Rifts Denmark
Killer Cyborg wrote:
How much you can lift/carry does NOT include your own body weight.


And the only time it would be affected by your body weight is if your body weight is somehow increased or decreased rapidly, or if you are under the effects of a gravitational change. Such as a weight or gravity control mutant making you twice as heavy as normal. THEN your body isn't used to carrying around all that extra weight and the penalties for that are listed under the weight and gravity control mutation powers.


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group