Enjoying Scott's Murmurs

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jcfiala
D-Bee

Enjoying Scott's Murmurs

Unread post by jcfiala »

I just read through Scott Gibbons' first 'real' murmur, about business smalls, and I like what I read. Nicely written, explained the topic well, ended right where it needed to be. Makes me feel good about him joining the company, and I look forward to what he's going to say next.
-----
John Fiala
Will Run Conventions for Food
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Enjoying Scott's Murmurs

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Yup.
Same here.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i think it is a good idea to pull back the curtains on the inner workings of things like this. one of the biggest problems PB has had with public relations is the fact that when they make a product outside their normal realm of "gaming books" people criticize them for devoting a lot of effort towards them.

explaining the actual effort put into getting these products made should help there. it'll show how much actual work is going into those relative to the primary products.

to be honest, this is more or less what i expected.. most of these products are of types that can be made basically by giving art to an outside source and ordering a small production run.

what i would like to see him cover though is perhaps a bit of description of the complexities of getting a quote for the RTT production. because there are a lot of people who seem to assume this is easy and fast, i know (from friends i have in catalyst game labs and iron Wind metals) that such things are not easy or fast, even when everything go well.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

jcfiala wrote:I just read through Scott Gibbons' first 'real' murmur, about business smalls, and I like what I read. Nicely written, explained the topic well, ended right where it needed to be. Makes me feel good about him joining the company, and I look forward to what he's going to say next.

+1.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
ffranceschi
Adventurer
Comment: "In Absentia Lucis, Tenebrae Vincunt"
Location: Republic of Cordoba, Silver River Republics (Montevideo, Uruguay)

Unread post by ffranceschi »

glitterboy2098 wrote:what i would like to see him cover though is perhaps a bit of description of the complexities of getting a quote for the RTT production. because there are a lot of people who seem to assume this is easy and fast, i know (from friends i have in catalyst game labs and iron Wind metals) that such things are not easy or fast, even when everything go well.

+1.
Head of Northern Gun Research and Development

"I'm ready man, check it out. I am the ultimate badass! State-of-the-badass-art!" - Private Hudson, ALIENS (1986).
jcfiala
D-Bee

Unread post by jcfiala »

glitterboy2098 wrote:what i would like to see him cover though is perhaps a bit of description of the complexities of getting a quote for the RTT production. because there are a lot of people who seem to assume this is easy and fast, i know (from friends i have in catalyst game labs and iron Wind metals) that such things are not easy or fast, even when everything go well.

Sounds like a good idea to me as well.
-----
John Fiala
Semi-Retired Gamer
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Semi-Retired Gamer »

ffranceschi wrote:
jcfiala wrote:I just read through Scott Gibbons' first 'real' murmur, about business smalls, and I like what I read. Nicely written, explained the topic well, ended right where it needed to be. Makes me feel good about him joining the company, and I look forward to what he's going to say next.

+1.

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I blog (mainly) about role-playing interests at The Semi-Retired Gamer.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Agreed. I work at a large suburban high school and every year we get travel cups or covered coffee cups with the school name and a logo on it. Every year the principal looks at the design, sends it around to a few people and sends the choice to the company. Even with a first year principal I have never seen this take more than an hour of school time to do so I did not understand any of the negative comments about it. So while this was stuff I already knew he explained it better then most teachers could have so solid work.

This was a great little "Small Business 101" post and I enjoyed it. This is the sort of post I have been wanting Kevin to fill since the Crisis. He needs to write and do big picture with others doing the details.

jcfiala wrote:

You know maybe I am just getting cynical at my old age but I really don't see this making any difference to most of the complaints at all.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

perhaps not for many, but it still can't hurt, and it certainly will help show how much actual work and effort goes into such projects.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jcfiala
D-Bee

Unread post by jcfiala »

jcfiala wrote:

You know maybe I am just getting cynical at my old age but I really don't see this making any difference to most of the complaints at all.[/quote]

Well, for a number of the complaints, a large number of them, there's a level of rage that might not be sated. But a lot of the complaints at base are about a lack of communication, and any efforts that go towards improving communication, both the quality and quantity of it, will help.
-----
John Fiala
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

might want to fix your quotes there, jcfiala

and while i agree that there are a number of detractors that such a post won't effect.. there are going to be a lot of people that are just unhappy because of misunderstandings and lack of info. they tend to be less vehement (indeed, practically invisible) but the fact is that even releasing wave 2 at all is never going to shut up the vehement detractors.. and anything we can do to help make the quiet majority understand the issues the project is facing, and feel more confident about whether the project is being worked on, can only help. since it is that quiet majority that will make or break the game's success.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”