Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:20 pm

Knight

Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!
The thing is one of the reasons D&D became so popular again with 3E is that they addressed many of the problems with their rules. It brought myself and others back into the fold because they fixed not all but some of the problems the game had. I saw that Wotc was willing to take a risk and I can respect that. PB want to reverse ther trends of them losing market share yet not alter anything. It unforuntaerly does not work like that.

As for wording my posts differently as my sig says Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it. I stand by that.

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:37 pm

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
Ninjabunny wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
Where in this thread has anyone said "Do this or Die?" I also don't believe Josh said he had the ONLY solution. The majority that are for a compiled and clarified rules books are saying "Hey we fans would love to see this and it wouldn't HURT sales to do something like this." You DM are the one that feels like he's coming off combative to me, telling people exactly how they should word their posts so you don't take what they are saying the wrong way.
[sarcasm]yup thats exactly what I did.[/sarcasm]
presenting an either/or statement is almost always seen as combative in debate; it implies (intended or not) that there are only two options or courses of action and the opposite view is not only wrong but fool hardy. Not exactly the best way to sway some one is it?

What side are you on you waffle more then Bret Favre? Honestly you are the biggest person in this thread telling folks it this way or the highway, and you are the one that just told people to word their post carefully, I mean come on your not even making sound argument anymore, your against fan sites yet you support the fans. You asked Josh Hilden how he'd feel if he worked on something and someone told him to "Do it their way or the highway" which happened to him! You told sureshot he need to word his post right, why don't you? Ever post from you has been either like what pally does or leave and play another system, that's a great way to help the dwindling fan base. :roll: Honestly the most combative person in this thread has been you, every ideal that would involve change for palladium has been an issue you have stood against then later stated you are all for or agree with. I'm sorry but your arguments anymore are fail. :-?

Damian's opinion has been the same all along and kudos to him for keeping a level head and sticking by his beliefs. The Cabal of 24 constantly complains about this and that. Is the system perfect? No, but none are. You can nit pick any any system to the same extent the 24 has and expose flaws in every gaming system. You know there are game system I don't like and in those game systems rules i think are wrong, but I don't go to those "fan forums" to tell them what a crappy system they are playing. Oh your system is so bad that I can't even get my gamers to play it. BTW people are leaving the system in droves and I just happen to know this because I can't get my four other gamers to play it. Yep I know better than the owners of the company. Geez why can't they see it :)

The 24 can't even keep on the topic of just discussing rules. Instead they complain about Palladiums business practices and business decisions. You're not happy with the way Palladium does things? REALLY? Not happy with the decision that are made at the top? REALLY? :frust: Well I'm glad you have all the answers. Thanks for sharing your wisdom. :ok: To bad that wisdom is pretty much armchair quarterbacking and you don't have any facts to back up your wisdom. Are you entitled to your opinions, absolutely, but so are the rest of us.

Last comment referring to the section in blue above. Criticism and changes should be expected by every writer. This helps writers grow. If you become complacent and think they know it all then you got another thing coming. Furthermore making a book into a commercially viable product is something Kevin and crew know how to do. To think any of the freelancers (former and current, yes me included) knows better is laughable. Groan and complain all you want, but here is where customers can voice their complaints. The forums are for fans thanks for making it a fun place for us :ok:

My apologies to anyone offended. My opinions are my own and not that of Palladium Books. Feel free to voice your complaints about my post directly to the Palladium staff if you wish. While you're doing that you can tell them everything else they're doing wrong. I'm sure they'd love to hear it.

Last edited by Carl Gleba on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:44 pm

Palladin

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
Hasn't Palladium itself talked about sales not being what they used to be? Hell wouldn't that follow if they're having to lay people off now when before they could afford to keep them?

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:04 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Laying people off now? Like who? Nobody's being laid off.

The wild speculations about sales means that we didn't ship boxes of the Rifter to our distributors last Friday or to subscribers or to those who pre-ordered that individual issue. Times are tough right now across the board. I spoke with our buyer at our largest distributor just last week and the economy is affecting sales for everyone. We also have distributors in Canada, Germany, England and Australia. For those who don't live in those countries and who only see what's going on in their neck of the woods in the United States, it's a limited view.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:27 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

You didn't read what I was responding to, did you? "...lay people off now..." The key word was "now." Not last year.

And sales are down for everybody.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Palladin

AlexM wrote:
You didn't read what I was responding to, did you? "...lay people off now..." The key word was "now." Not last year.

And sales are down for everybody.

Now meant recently, I'm sorry I wasn't specific enough with my time frame for you Alex. And no not a word that I said meant that you didn't ship boxes of Rifters to your distributors, congrats on that, that has no bearing on your overall sales which even you seem to admit later on in your post are down, but that so what everyone's are down. But from everything we've heard about how tough things are they've been down for a while now. Now if they're not and you've been doing great, then good, but that's certainly not the impression we've gotten for a good while here.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

What some people do not understand is that since the start of the current Recession, sales have been down for everyone. Context is very important. There is good information out there about the "real" book trade and I can tell you that pre-orders for new books are down as well.

All I'm reading in the local papers is that businesses are still reluctant to hire right now. Hopefully, in a few months, that will change. So even looking outside of the publishing industry, people are reluctant to spend a lot right now, but will still spend for some things. iPads and iPhones did quite well. A recent article shows Apple beating Microsoft in market value. Looking across the broader entertainment market spectrum, things are still difficult.

A careful reading of Kevin's murmurs over the last several months shows weeks with strong, weak and mixed sales. That squares with other businesses that we know of in diverse categories.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:09 pm

Champion

Shinitenshi wrote:
Where in this thread has anyone said "Do this or Die?" I also don't believe Josh said he had the ONLY solution. The majority that are for a compiled and clarified rules books are saying "Hey we fans would love to see this and it wouldn't HURT sales to do something like this." You DM are the one that feels like he's coming off combative to me, telling people exactly how they should word their posts so you don't take what they are saying the wrong way.

Well some people have pretty much said that if you don't like the product as-is then you're a bad fan and a bad player. I think that's the closest anyone on this thread has come to drawing a line in the sand and declaring that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:50 pm

Champion

Shinitenshi wrote:
Rallan wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:

Well some people have pretty much said that if you don't like the product as-is then you're a bad fan and a bad player. I think that's the closest anyone on this thread has come to drawing a line in the sand and declaring that everyone who disagrees is wrong.

So according to these people the fact that I think there should be an update and clarification of rules makes me a bad fan? So I own every Rifts book, the majority of Rifters, several T-shirts, I exclusively play Pally, have been to all but one of the Open Houses, participated in the costume contest, spent time and money making baked goods for the freelancers and even got married because of Palladium but I'm not actually a fan because I think they need to update and clarify some rules. Wow what a way for the company to make me feel like maybe I should stop Role Playing.

Yep. According to Damian if you think the rules are have problems it's probably because you haven't read them properly and don't fully understand them (ie you're an idiot who can't read). And according to Carl, if you've got concerns about the rules then you're doing it wrong because good players don't worry about that stuff (ie you're an idiot who can't roleplay) :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 am

Knight

Shinitenshi wrote:
So according to these people the fact that I think there should be an update and clarification of rules makes me a bad fan? So I own every Rifts book, the majority of Rifters, several T-shirts, I exclusively play Pally, have been to all but one of the Open Houses, participated in the costume contest, spent time and money making baked goods for the freelancers and even got married because of Palladium but I'm not actually a fan because I think they need to update and clarify some rules. Wow what a way for the company to make me feel like maybe I should stop Role Playing.

I have said it more than once. The company as a whole really does not want any negative feedback of any kind. Constructive or otherwise. We know nothing as fans they know everything so all that is required is for us to nod and smile and keep buying PB products. Then they wonder why they keep losing fans and market share. A company that wants the glory dayss of the 80s and 90s while doing their damn best not to alter or change anything and wonder why their fanbase keeps shrinking. Sometimes I feel like just doing like some posters in this thread have hinted at. Take the highway and not look back. God knows their are more easier, clear comprehensive rpgs on the market. Except when I go and leave I do so on my own terms and when I'm ready. Shinitenshi my advice to you is to keep playing rpgs from this company while branching out into others. Send me a PM if you want some links to other rpgs.

This company like many other companies loves their fans when they need something from them. After that is done they take us for granted. Maybe I'm wrong yet I will be blunt your public relations with fans who have a disseting opinions sucks. Chances are you may have lost Shinitenshi as a fan along with others. I don't blame him if he decided to no longer play, buy or use PB products. The impression I get is that were considered disposible commidites. Used when needed tossed aside when they are not. In the end it hurts PB. Causing a shrinking fanbase to just shrink faster

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:59 am

Palladin

AlexM wrote:
What some people do not understand is that since the start of the current Recession, sales have been down for everyone. Context is very important. There is good information out there about the "real" book trade and I can tell you that pre-orders for new books are down as well.

Haven't sales been an issue for a while now even before that though?

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:02 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Im sorry but you all are right, now let me explain, the side that says palladium needs a rules change yes they do, they need to take a look at the rules as have been presented and mesh them into a cohesive rules set. Now for the people who say that fans who complain are not true palladium fans, you are right as well to a point, if the poster is doing nothing but bashing the palladium product and name and has never lent a positive view point of the company then yes they are not a fan but a detracting effect. Look at this thread for example. The authour had some damn good ideas and it started great. then people started complaining about what was not in the threads purpose and we end up here, a jumbled pile of complainants and loyalist who will never see eye to eye on the companies ideas.

Now if you check my posting history you will find I am a purist who enjoys my palladium with no rules changes but I can see where certain rules could use a polish or update, does that mean I am going to scream every time some says the system is broken and should be burned, NO but I will if that is all they are doing, But I willI look at the persons idea and I try and see where the truth in the madness is, Now for those who start quoting numbers I would like to quote some thing to you " If I wanted to rely on numbers to give me facts I would have joined the IRS" Warren Buffet once said that to news week when ask how he thought the stock market crash from the dot com's was going to turn out. Now numbers will tell us a lot but it will not tell us the true heart of a company now I have met played and spoke to Kevin on a couple of occasions and for those of you who have you will know that this company will be run out of a garage before he sees it go under, But I for one am sure in my heart that Palladium will be here for a while. How do you say well simple and for those people who say there local store does not carry Palladium, listen in. " I make demand, I run newbie only games at my local game store, yes I strike out, but like every thing you love it will happen. I also run at every convention and I run pick up games in the free game area while between games. it is a simple formula if there is demand there is Supply, Palladium has all the supply your game store needs, you only have to show them there is a demand, you say he has a bunch of old copies of books, heck snag them at a discount and use them as swag, for a game, or quit letting the gaming group hog the reference library over at your house have them buy it, once the store owner sees the demand he will supply it is only good business. no that leads me to the people who say Kevin needs to run his business smarter not harder to be nice, Could Palladium use a little stream lining yes, but with the staff he has Kevin is going to find a hard time doing that, Plus it is his baby, even I would like to see a streamlined editing and review process put in place as my twenty plus years of playing this game has shown it is this process that holds books up. I am not saying Kevin give it up heck no, but some of the other stuff like layout and so forth give to our illustrious Rifter teams, he does a damn great job as it is.

But I believe I have ranted and tried to show every one they are correct but the give and take in this argument is so hair thin that unless one or the other on the sides is going to understand the other they have to open there minds a little more than, they are showing.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 3:22 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Shinitenshi wrote:
I've never heard of a company so adamant about not hearing about the things fans think need improved. I have never been on a forum where the posters are jumped on and told that they are bad fans because there is something that they don't like in a product.

To be fair, its not the company, but other fans. That's an important distinction.

Alex M is quite right. The Great Recession that began in 2007 *may* have ended for Wall Street, but certainly not for Main Street. Many economist believe we now exist a "New Normal" economy that may not see "recovery" for a decade or longer.

It's a dangerous and difficult time for every company. On one hand, we have "innovate or die" and other the other we have "serve your core customers" and both are 100% true. The recession means that one serious stumble in a business plan can easily close even a major company.

As always, I wish Palladium great and wondrous success. I deeply hope their best days are ahead. I would love to see their past decade of tribulations washed away with many triumphs.

However, I am not blind to realities and changes in the RPG marketplace nor does my business acumen vanish when I go online as a fan.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:20 am

Champion

Spinachcat wrote:
Shinitenshi wrote:
I've never heard of a company so adamant about not hearing about the things fans think need improved. I have never been on a forum where the posters are jumped on and told that they are bad fans because there is something that they don't like in a product.

To be fair, its not the company, but other fans. That's an important distinction.

Alex M is quite right. The Great Recession that began in 2007 *may* have ended for Wall Street, but certainly not for Main Street. Many economist believe we now exist a "New Normal" economy that may not see "recovery" for a decade or longer.

It's a dangerous and difficult time for every company. On one hand, we have "innovate or die" and other the other we have "serve your core customers" and both are 100% true. The recession means that one serious stumble in a business plan can easily close even a major company.

As always, I wish Palladium great and wondrous success. I deeply hope their best days are ahead. I would love to see their past decade of tribulations washed away with many triumphs.

However, I am not blind to realities and changes in the RPG marketplace nor does my business acumen vanish when I go online as a fan.

The recession (and changing trends in entertainment) explain why the RPG market has been shrinking of late. They don't explain why Palladium's share of that market has been shrinking, or why it's been shrinking since before the recession started.

Let's be honest here folks, these are not the glory days of the early 90s when Rifts was one of the hot new things among RPGs and Palladium could routinely claim (depending on that quarter's sales figures) that it was second only to TSR/WotC in market share. It ain't the good old days when you could walk into a game store and see Palladium Books getting a huge slab of shelf space to rival what White Wolf and Steve Jackson Games were getting. And Palladium's declining shelf space isn't the fault of a recession that hadn't even started until long after Palladium stopped being one of those companies that warranted a huge slab of space in every game store.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:53 am

Knight

While I agree that the recession maybe a factor in PB losing profit the loss of market share was happening even before the recession. So imo it cannot be the only factor for that loss. To me its a mix pof both internal and external factors. Sometimes as a company one has to say maybe the way we do things is just not working and we need to take responsiability for it. It can't always be something or someone else causing it.

Enlightened Grognard

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:50 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

There is no published information that shows market share for all companies in the RPG business.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:24 pm

Adventurer

Ninjapuppy wrote:
Quote:
THACO ?

I don't think I have heard that term in quite a number of years. In fact, it was this static defense concept that drew me into Palladium games in the first place, the simplicity of D20 vs D20 was great, innovative, dareing and just made sense.

Its funny that people would cry for a rules update, and a company such as D&D would change their system to adopt the d20 vs d20 system that already exists in Palladium books! Saying that the rules need to be updates is one thing, but creating a new rules set is another thing entirely. Concidering that D&D and Path finder now use a simular system to Palladium, and have met with great success, I don't believe that a rules change is the answer to Palladiums problems ( Don't ask me for the answer to this problem either). I just happened to notice this fact during a conversation with my wife this morning. We are both Palladium fans and love the game system. Its not like Palladium can go to a THAC0 one sided armour class sytem like D&D used to be. It seems that Palladiums rules set was trend setting from the very start.

30 years ago yes, now after so many add ons its cracks are getting far to big to ignore. Just to clarify my position. I have no problem with PB D20 vs D20 core system, its how its been handled all of these years to whats its become now.

PS: I thought DnD could be considered a D20 vs DN (Diff Number) with D20 Saves ?

I let my wife play rifts once....................she shot me in the back of the head with a naruni plasma pistol, gaffa taped a type 4 fusion block to my nether regions, and kicked my ass off the apc travelling at 100 MPH

gimme a break, my pc is a playa, not me.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:01 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Shinitenshi wrote:
It is the company as well as the fans.

You may be 100% correct, but that has not been my experience on the PB forums.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Adventurer

AlexM wrote:
There is no published information that shows market share for all companies in the RPG business.

Alex Marciniszyn

Not for all companies, but from the site you referenced earlier in the topic, here are the top five RPGs for 1st quarter this year.

-Chris

"Choosing to house-rule in order to customize the game to your liking can be a beautiful thing.
But being forced to house-rule in order to make the game playable at all is not." - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:31 pm

Hero

Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson
palladiumjunkie wrote:
AlexM wrote:

Not for all companies, but from the site you referenced earlier in the topic, here are the top five RPGs for 1st quarter this year.

-Chris

And from this past quarter.

"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:10 pm

Palladin

Wow, I can't say I'm to surprised but good to see the Dresden Files doing so well.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Rankings do not indicate market share and can vary from month to month.

The November 2005 issue of Comics & Games Retailer shows Rifts at number 7 with a green triangle showing upward movement for sales reported for August. We ranked number 5 in market share. There was also a nice graph showing sales over a four year period. Too bad Comics & Games Retailer is no longer around.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:31 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Let me put it this way. It does not tell people how many copies sold.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:34 pm

Palladin

But what do they indicate?

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:02 pm

OLD ONE

Everyone needs to chill out and put their feelings in check.

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:50 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

All I'm trying to do is address the concept of market share. That's all.

Out of a list of 5 top selling products, how much of the pie does each company own? It will fluctuate but it generally goes like this.

Company

A) 40-50%
B) 20%
C) 10%
D) 5%
E) 3%

These aren't real numbers for the RPG industry, but if they were, you could tell which company had the bigger piece of the market. The only way to know if a company is gaining or losing market share is to know all of the actual percentages of the company you're interested in and the numbers for its competitors, over say, at least a two year period. I'm just trying to add some clarity here about what market share means.

Is the RPG Industry as big as it was 10 years ago? It appears not, but you can't say that for certain without knowing what people were actually printing and selling from the year 2000 to date.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Adventurer

AlexM wrote:
Rankings do not indicate market share and can vary from month to month.

The November 2005 issue of Comics & Games Retailer shows Rifts at number 7 with a green triangle showing upward movement for sales reported for August. We ranked number 5 in market share. There was also a nice graph showing sales over a four year period. Too bad Comics & Games Retailer is no longer around.

Alex Marciniszyn

Really? You say that ranking can vary from 'month to month' then cite a source from half a decade ago?

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:16 pm

OLD ONE

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
My feelings are perfectly in check and have been for awhile Jeff. I made no threats or accusations and I did not fly off the handle. I am simply refuting statements.

:)

Did I call you out? No. I said "Everyone".

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:05 pm

Knight

Kalidor wrote:
Really? You say that ranking can vary from 'month to month' then cite a source from half a decade ago?

Agreed. Not sure what he is trying to get at. I would rather see more current facts.

Enlightened Grognard

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:09 pm

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Sureshot wrote:
Kalidor wrote:

Agreed. Not sure what he is trying to get at. I would rather see more current facts.

I think he was citing an example of a source that actually showed over all market share and then lamented that unfortunately that source is no longer available.

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:28 pm

Champion

Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Sureshot wrote:
Kalidor wrote:

I think he was citing an example of a source that actually showed over all market share and then lamented that unfortunately that source is no longer available.

That was certainly how I read it.

Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 am

Champion

AlexM wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

All I'm trying to do is address the concept of market share. That's all.

Out of a list of 5 top selling products, how much of the pie does each company own? It will fluctuate but it generally goes like this.

Company

A) 40-50%
B) 20%
C) 10%
D) 5%
E) 3%

These aren't real numbers for the RPG industry, but if they were, you could tell which company had the bigger piece of the market. The only way to know if a company is gaining or losing market share is to know all of the actual percentages of the company you're interested in and the numbers for its competitors, over say, at least a two year period. I'm just trying to add some clarity here about what market share means.

Is the RPG Industry as big as it was 10 years ago? It appears not, but you can't say that for certain without knowing what people were actually printing and selling from the year 2000 to date.

Alex Marciniszyn

You can sort of get a rough guide by seeing how much shelf space game stores are dedicating to any given RPG though, especially if you ask around (after all, it'd be silly for someone to take the friendly local gaming store as the be all and end all of the industry). And I don't think I've ever heard of anyone anywhere who claims that Palladium Books is getting nearly as big a share of shelf space in any store they've been to as it did back in the good old days. Every gamer who was around in the 90s is able to remember a time when Palladium Books got a big ol' slab of space in any game store they went into. But every gamer who talks about buying Palladium's stuff today talks about finding stuff in bargain bins and having to get their store to order stuff in.

And while saying "There's no published figures" is an easy way to dismiss pessimistic talk, I notice that nobody's stepping up and denying that Palladium has lost a lot of ground when it comes to market share.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Comment: Lord of Chaos!
Rallan wrote:
And while saying "There's no published figures" is an easy way to dismiss pessimistic talk, I notice that nobody's stepping up and denying that Palladium has lost a lot of ground when it comes to market share.

A lack of denial does not mean its true either.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:46 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Carl Gleba wrote:
Rallan wrote:

A lack of denial does not mean its true either.

No but statements by several people from different parts of the country (and myself here in the highest populated area of Canada) certainly seem to indicate as such. At least in those areas of the country and Canada.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Knight

jaymz wrote:
No but statements by several people from different parts of the country (and myself here in the highest populated area of Canada) certainly seem to indicate as such. At least in those areas of the country and Canada.

In my area it used to be you could find PB proudcts all over the place 10 years ago. Now only one store carries the full range of products and even they are cutting back on that. For them it just does not do as well and they cannot affors to waste shelf space on product that does not maove. Until Kevin or Alex come out and say that the company has regained their market share I will assumethe company has not. Nothing in the gaming stores and gernally lack of players interested in playing or running a PB tell me otherwise.

Enlightened Grognard

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Palladin

It'll be totally anecdotal but how about people start taking pictures of the shelves where they buy games to show what's being sold and what's not? I know in my area there are no real game stores and I've been left to buy online or checking the local comic book store, but it might be interesting to see.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:14 pm

Knight

Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Sureshot wrote:
jaymz wrote:

In my area it used to be you could find PB proudcts all over the place 10 years ago. Now only one store carries the full range of products and even they are cutting back on that. For them it just does not do as well and they cannot affors to waste shelf space on product that does not maove. Until Kevin or Alex come out and say that the company has regained their market share I will assumethe company has not. Nothing in the gaming stores and gernally lack of players interested in playing or running a PB tell me otherwise.

And in my area The Guardtower (oldest running game store in Columbus OH.) dedicates space for every in print book for every single system currently available. The second oldest game store in Columbus has only been in business 10 years and has changed ownership as many times (and caters to mostly minis.) All other LGS barely last more than 3 years before closing up shop. (most do not make it a year.) Its has been this way for over 20 years.
Hardly a good judge of market share is it?

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:29 pm

Explorer

Daniel Stoker wrote:
It'll be totally anecdotal but how about people start taking pictures of the shelves where they buy games to show what's being sold and what's not? I know in my area there are no real game stores and I've been left to buy online or checking the local comic book store, but it might be interesting to see.

Daniel Stoker

I've got one, great gaming/comic/minis store within a 100 mile radius of where I live (NE Tenn) and it carries a ton of gaming material with the thrust of its stuff being D&D (of course), White Wolf, Palladium, Star Wars and a smattering of other titles, usually in small numbers. The RPG "darlings" ie small press/indy stuff - has no presence in this store or any other within a 100 miles.

Of course, this store is also the only one within a 100 miles that carries any significant amount of Palladium titles. Other stores may have 1 to 5 titles at best.

Juicers are so hopped up on drugs that their reflexes are hyper-fast and the rest of the world around them seems to be moving in slow motion. Which means that they are likely the only ones to be able to keep up with the Palladium rule changes... - Killer Cyborg

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:36 pm

Knight

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Sureshot wrote:
jaymz wrote:

And in my area The Guardtower (oldest running game store in Columbus OH.) dedicates space for every in print book for every single system currently available. The second oldest game store in Columbus has only been in business 10 years and has changed ownership as many times (and caters to mostly minis.) All other LGS barely last more than 3 years before closing up shop. (most do not make it a year.) Its has been this way for over 20 years.
Hardly a good judge of market share is it?

I love The Guardtower. Great store.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
As for local gaming store anecdotal evidence: The game store I use, only buys 3 copies of brand new PB product. Just because he knows he will sell it. Everything else is special ordered. He also sells used RPG's at huge discounts. On his shelf right now is about 15 Palladium Books - Mainly Rifts, but some Heroes Unlimited. After talking to him, he see's the used section explode and decline on a cycle. About every year and a half.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Palladium Books® Staff

Some of this is almost funny. I regularly call our largest distributor to get an idea of how the RPG market is doing. Bottom line: everything is down everywhere. People losing their jobs and their homes, and some people moving in the hope of finding work in another state. The last two years have been hell for people in general. And stores, all stores, are offering discounts around here. Heck, I got a discount coupon from eBay.

All this speculation does is fuel a very narrow perception of what's going on. I got calls from people opening new stores this year looking for our products. The population has moved around.

We're going on 30 years of doing this and I know some people just can't figure out how this happened. On another forum, for years, all I read was: "I don't know anyone who plays their games." It became an inside joke here whenever we shipped out a new book. "You know, nobody actually plays our games." "Yeah, so who's buying 'em?"

I understand everyone's concern but we are doing the best we can, and will continue to do so. I'm looking forward to 2011.

Alex Marciniszyn

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:43 pm

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
AlexM wrote:
I'm looking forward to 2011.

So am I, Al. With so many good books in the line up for the upcoming months, I know where my fun money is going.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Palladin

On a side, how many non-Rifter books did we see this year?

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:59 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: J.V. Adams
Citizen Lazlo wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:
On a side, how many non-Rifter books did we see this year?

Daniel Stoker

2?

Dead Reign SB2: Dark Places Shipped 12/01/09
Dimensional Outbreak Shipped 3/09/10
Triax Two Shipped 04/27/10
Heroes of the Megaverse Shipped 09/15/10

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 pm

Knight

Many gamers refuse to buy any PB product because of the rules. They will not touch your games if you gave them a free 10 ft pole. True a new edition may or may not bring those gamers back yet your not getting enough new or old blood returning to the fold. How long before the fanbase is unable to support the company. The impression I get is that as a whole the company does not want to change anything and that any day now things will change. Any day now.

I am kind of dreading and looking forward to 2011. Forward because new material will come out and dreading it because every start of a new year we get a overly optimistic release schedule that we only get to see a fraction of. No matter how many times we ask for a realistic release schedule.

Enlightened Grognard

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:56 pm

Knight

Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Sureshot wrote:
Many gamers refuse to buy any PB product because of the rules. They will not touch your games if you gave them a free 10 ft pole. True a new edition may or may not bring those gamers back yet your not getting enough new or old blood returning to the fold. How long before the fanbase is unable to support the company. The impression I get is that as a whole the company does not want to change anything and that any day now things will change. Any day now.

I am kind of dreading and looking forward to 2011. Forward because new material will come out and dreading it because every start of a new year we get a overly optimistic release schedule that we only get to see a fraction of. No matter how many times we ask for a realistic release schedule.

maybe its just my age showing...but before the advent of the Interwebz this was never really an issue was it? Patience is a virtue. and honestly I would rather a quality book come out months late than get a quickly churned out piece of garbage. Also Kev and Co. could give us that "realistic" release date but then there would be complaints that the date is too far out to be viable. Or they could do what most other companies do and stay mum on their projects until after they send them to the printer... but then there would be complaints about how closed mouthed PB is... face it nothing Kevin does will ever be "good" enough for some.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: J.V. Adams
Damian Magecraft wrote:
maybe its just my age showing...but before the advent of the Interwebz this was never really an issue was it? Patience is a virtue. and honestly I would rather a quality book come out months late than get a quickly churned out piece of garbage. Also Kev and Co. could give us that "realistic" release date but then there would be complaints that the date is too far out to be viable. Or they could do what most other companies do and stay mum on their projects until after they send them to the printer... but then there would be complaints about how closed mouthed PB is... face it nothing Kevin does will ever be "good" enough for some.

I would bet that less people would complain about theim being closed mouthed than those who complain about them never being able to hit a deadline.

↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A select start

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Knight

Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
Xar wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:

I would bet that less people would complain about theim being closed mouthed than those who complain about them never being able to hit a deadline.
I would take that bet... but my Gammy told me to never steal money.

Past experiences on other BBSs (as well as this one) has shown that roughly one half of those that currently complain about a companies practices will be the first to complain should the company choose to alter said practices.

Kevin could hand out free bags of money with every book. People would complain about the color of the bag.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:36 pm

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Or they could do what most other companies do and stay mum on their projects until after they send them to the printer... but then there would be complaints about how closed mouthed PB is... face it nothing Kevin does will ever be "good" enough for some.

Back in the old days of the PML it was more common to complain about the lack of information. I lean more towards saying what quarter your aiming for.

Due to transportation problems, I have not been to my local game store since the start of the year. He still had a shelf for Palladium Books and it was a strong seller for him. New releases tended to sell out very quickly.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:37 pm

Knight

Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Kevin could hand out free bags of money with every book. People would complain about the color of the bag.

More likely the color of the money... Some people just don't like Green!