Noob gm, former player. Help with credit conversion

For talk about all things Palladium past, present, & future.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slf495
D-Bee

Re: Noob gm, former player. Help with credit conversion

Unread post by Slf495 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:There's no conversion that isn't broken in some way(s).

If you showed up in HU or N&S Earth with Rifts Credits, they'd be valueless.
If you showed up in Rifts Earth with N&S or HU cash, they'd have some value as historical artifacts IF you could convince somebody the fresh-looking money wasn't forged.
But this doesn't seem to be what you're talking about; it seems like you're just wanting people on Rifts Earth to be able to buy stuff from HU/N&S/etc.

The only real guidance we have there comes from The Collected MOPS p. 108

The Universal Credit is supposed to be the equivilent to one US or Canadian dollar, only adjusted for inflation.

But scarcity in Rifts Earth would matter a lot, and so forth. So I'd use that cost translation as a base for areas where stuff is more likely to be for sale, jacking up the price considerably (or simply saying "this is unavailable here") outside the major cities and such.

So I’m actually bringing a rifts character to a ninjas/heroes world/scenario. So I’m trying to find a balance with the whole credit to cash conversion that’s not royally fubar, thanks all
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Slf495 wrote:

If you showed up in Rifts Earth with N&S or HU cash, they'd have some value as historical artifacts IF you could convince somebody the fresh-looking money wasn't forged.
But this doesn't seem to be what you're talking about; it seems like you're just wanting people on Rifts Earth to be able to buy stuff from HU/N&S/etc.

The Universal Credit is supposed to be the equivilent to one US or Canadian dollar, only adjusted for inflation.

But scarcity in Rifts Earth would matter a lot, and so forth. So I'd use that cost translation as a base for areas where stuff is more likely to be for sale, jacking up the price considerably (or simply saying "this is unavailable here") outside the major cities and such.

So I’m actually bringing a rifts character to a ninjas/heroes world/scenario. So I’m trying to find a balance with the whole credit to cash conversion that’s not royally fubar, thanks all

Simple enough, unless the Ninjas/heroes world does commerce with Rifts Earth, the value of those credits is zero.
Imagine a real world scenario, some dude walks into 7-11 and tries to pay with an electric doohickie that you've never seen before. How do you even ring that up? There's no button on the register for "space money."

Your character will be flat broke to start, but could easily make millions selling their laser pistol to Lockheed Martin.

Them's the breaks of interdimensional travel.
Slf495
D-Bee

Unread post by Slf495 »

ITWastrel wrote:
Slf495 wrote:

Simple enough, unless the Ninjas/heroes world does commerce with Rifts Earth, the value of those credits is zero.
Imagine a real world scenario, some dude walks into 7-11 and tries to pay with an electric doohickie that you've never seen before. How do you even ring that up? There's no button on the register for "space money."

Your character will be flat broke to start, but could easily make millions selling their laser pistol to Lockheed Martin.

Them's the breaks of interdimensional travel.

Ok, I didn’t explain very well. I’m planning basically converting credits to cash for the sake of simplicity sake. Story wise he’d be stranded here, not necessary to go into detail. Anyway, just still at loggerheads on figuring out how to convert the credits in rifts into a dollar value for later TW created stuff, etc so I know how much to tell him it’ll cost to make
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Slf495 wrote:

Try using the Alien power category as a guide.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Slf495 wrote:

As has been stated, there wouldn't be one.
Might as well try to convert a Visa credit card into cowrie shells, after traveling back to when those were the main currency.
Except that arguably the N&S setting might have somebody who could reverse-engineer the Universal Credit Card's technology, or some of it, in which case it would be priceless, just like most or all other Rifts future tech.

If you're looking for a way to balance Credits to Cash, just go with the MOP description above: 1 credit = 1 US or Canadian Dollar.
Claim Temporal Energy affected the money, switching credits to cash.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

agreed that there's no money to be gained from going from electronic to cash. The character could have gear to sell to someone, which could wildly vary in price, but yeah, they changed dimensions, they need to deal with being broke I think. Its part of the challenge of adapting to it.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Slf495
D-Bee

Unread post by Slf495 »

Maybe I’m just not explaining well. What I’m trying to sort out is the equivalent cost for things FROM rifts, in the ninjas/heroes world. Trying to buy the items to make a TW device (gems and such) is all in really looking for
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Slf495 wrote:Maybe I’m just not explaining well. What I’m trying to sort out is the equivalent cost for things FROM rifts, in the ninjas/heroes world. Trying to buy the items to make a TW device (gems and such) is all in really looking for

Ah, check Amazon.

Seriously, I play modern games as "Sure you can buy it. Check Amazon for the price." and never have I been disappointed.

Need 1ct diamond prices for that TW Gizmo? BAM!

Or, be boring and make everything a 1:1 swap from credit to Dollar. Either way works.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Slf495 wrote:Maybe I’m just not explaining well. What I’m trying to sort out is the equivalent cost for things FROM rifts, in the ninjas/heroes world. Trying to buy the items to make a TW device (gems and such) is all in really looking for

I'd assume that anything thats as high tech as rifts items, even the gems and such will be significantly more expensive here. I'd either take the Rifts price and multiply it by ten, or by a hundred depending on how exotic it is. Energy weapons are commonplace there and unheard of here
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Slf495
D-Bee

Unread post by Slf495 »

Mostly it’s with TW creation in mind. He may carry over a few things, but really not much outside of TW items, so I’m not concerned about that

Return to “All Things Palladium Books®”