Board index » Traversing the Megaverse® » All Things Palladium Books®

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:23 am

Wanderer

How would you describe this game to newbies?

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:11 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
SirSpamHammer wrote:

Do you mean Palladium books in general or do you have a specific game in mind like RIfts or Heroes Unlimited?

Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:45 pm

Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:

Do you mean Palladium books in general or do you have a specific game in mind like RIfts or Heroes Unlimited?

Palladium Rifts.

I meant the world and the game.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:08 pm

Dungeon Crawler

SirSpamHammer wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:
SirSpamHammer wrote:

Palladium Rifts.

I meant the world and the game.

A playground of semi-organized old-school kitchen sink chaos where you can be a god or a box-car hobo and neither is a bad choice as long as you have a big gun.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:11 am

Adventurer

Comment: "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79
"Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81
"Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
Rifts is where you take something notable in history, then soup it up with high tech or powerful magic, and throw lots of monsters at it

and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:01 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
I was given two sentences with which to describe an upcoming game. I devoted one of those sentences to describing the game of Rifts thusly: "Rifts® is a futuristic world recovering from an apocalyptic revival of magic and invasion by dimensional beings."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Lore: Superhuman

OK, Boomer.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:00 pm

Monk

Rifts: a game where just about any character type is available (somewhere in its books, or those from the other games in the PB catalog) to the players. I perfer the SDC games better because there is less munchy fodder there.

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:38 pm

Explorer

Rifts: You can do or be just about anything, but so can everything else and also the whole planet is made of Detroit.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:29 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
This is the opening I used for my Rifts games at Owlcon

Rifts. An Earth destroyed at the height of mankind’s scientific advancement & reshaped by a magical catastrophe, under constant invasion by the demonic & the alien

It's hard to really describe Rifts and I want to make my games as appealing as possible to potential players.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:25 am

Wanderer

Warshield73 wrote:

It's hard to really describe Rifts and I want to make my games as appealing as possible to potential players.

My reason for asking, but some of your replies have been really good. Putting it in nutshell.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:09 am

Explorer

I've always had the same problem of getting people into rifts, and the thing that's worked best for me is to make it their 2nd-3rd RPG setting. if it's someone's first time playing, there's just too much to explain. once they learn how to play and explore how to push their luck with things, rifts is a much easier sell "I know a setting where you can do all this at the same time, actually-"....

that leaves the problem of what other games can you run and lead into the palladium system, but palladium's giant catalog of other settings solves that sometimes.

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:01 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Orin J. wrote:
I've always had the same problem of getting people into rifts, and the thing that's worked best for me is to make it their 2nd-3rd RPG setting. if it's someone's first time playing, there's just too much to explain. once they learn how to play and explore how to push their luck with things, rifts is a much easier sell "I know a setting where you can do all this at the same time, actually-"....

that leaves the problem of what other games can you run and lead into the palladium system, but palladium's giant catalog of other settings solves that sometimes.

I was about to strongly disagree with you but then I realized you're right. My friends and I all played 1e Robotech back in the '80's and then when Rifts came out we dived into it. Most of the players I got into Rifts I started with Heroes / Nightbane combo.

I think Rifts can still be pretty accessible to new players if you just focus the game to a specific region. Focus on North America and I think most people can figure it out. Phase World is also still Rifts but it is a little less daunting with the 6 or 7 books in that line.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:25 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.
Warshield73 wrote:

Rifts. An Earth destroyed at the height of mankind’s scientific advancement & reshaped by a magical catastrophe, under constant invasion by the demonic & the alien

This one is really good!

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | New Temporal Magic
Rifts random encounters | New Elemental Magic | Lore: Superhuman

OK, Boomer.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:35 am

Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
Warshield73 wrote:

This one is really good!

Thank you, it took me a long time to get this the way I wanted it. I wanted to get as much about Rifts as I could into as few words as possible due to character limits on many convention websites.

If anyone has a way to improve it without adding too many characters I would love to hear it before I submit my games at the end of the week.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:53 pm

Knight

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
I'll be honest, (because I'm old) I always went with Thundarr the Barbarian about 100 years later after humanity got it's legs back under it. And with giant robots.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:30 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Daniel Stoker wrote:
I'll be honest, (because I'm old) I always went with Thundarr the Barbarian about 100 years later after humanity got it's legs back under it. And with giant robots.

Daniel Stoker

See when I first started playing Rifts the Thundarr comparison came up all the time. But last year at this con I had 25 or so players across 4 games, some of them played in 2 or 3 games and 1 guy was in all 4, and if 3 of those 25 were old enough to know who Thundarr was I would have been shocked. Face it dude, we old.

Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:33 pm

Champion

How I introduce Rifts to newbies:

At the end of the 24th century, our world is in ruins. After an epic arms race at the end of the 21st century, the sudden outbreak of war unleashed a global catastrophe. Fueled by millions of simultaneous deaths, radiant lines of supernatural energy, many miles long, erupted across the globe. With their appearance, continents shook, volcanoes erupted, and storms raged. Along these ley lines, the fabric of existence tore into Rifts, gateways to other dimensions.

Unearthly creatures emerged from the Rifts. Their arrival brought more war, more bloodshed, and more change. The continent of Atlantis reappeared with a tidal wave, drowning and re-shaping the world's coasts. Greater powers arrived, enticed by a world awash in death. Human civilization collapsed.

300 years have passed. Rifts continue opening. Once dominant, humans face death and enslavement around the world. Their enemies are countless in number and variety: demons, vampires, alien predators, and worse.

Facing these threats, humans seek any advantage they can get. Many use the ancestors' technology: devastating guns, mighty power armor, and fast vehicles. Some desperate souls alter their own bodies with performance-enhancing drugs or armored machines. Others turn to abilities awakened by the Coming of the Rifts: the psionic mind, the magics of harnessed ley line energy, or unions with alien powers.

Often misunderstood, these powers sow confusion and fear among the few remaining human nations. Their people and leaders wonder: what must humanity become to survive? The answers aren't pleasant. Many hate these countries more than the terrors they fight.

Those without power or protection live in fear, fleeing from titanic threats they can neither oppose nor understand. Their fear is everyone's, for no-one is safe on this Earth of chaos and violence. Death fuels the Rifts, and no-one knows what horrors will emerge next.

This works best if narrated with a Ron Perlman voice with some soft, mournful music in the background, like the Adagio for Strings.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!

Unread postPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:45 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Rifts, Robotech, and Palladium Fantasy - in that order
SirSpamHammer wrote:

In the year 2098, dimensional rifts, ways to other places in our universe, had appeared upon the surface of Earth. The opening of the rifts caused unequaled earthquakes, tidal waves, and storms that devastated and altered the landscape.
From out of the glowing rifts, into Earth's ongoing apocalypse, unimaginable species and phenomenon ventured and conquested.
300 years after that horrifying day in human history, the rifts remain open, granting entrance onto Earth. Earth has been reclaimed by native and alien: flora and fauna, powerful beings, and pockets of civilization. With some of the otherworldly beings came new technology and culture, with others came magic and spells. With others came only an insatiable appetite to dominate.

Palladium Rifts is one of the few games that successfully combines the science fiction and fantasy genres into one fun and easy to use tabletop game system. A player's path in the game is to survive the dystopian world of Rifts, choosing and playing with one of hundreds of avatars. Players can play a game with 7-dice dice sets,boards and pieces, or a game that requires no board or pieces (dice required).

Last edited by Not-a-rogue-scholar on Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Champion

Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]
When I give the short answer I simply say, "Mad Max with monsters, mechs and magic".
When I give the long answer it's more like Erin Tarn. I mention the coming of the Rifts, mention some of the OCC's and give a lot of world detail. I find I don't have to give the long answer very often, all the newbies are hooked by the short answer.
On a rare occasion I have been heard to utter the phrase, "Like D&D but the technology as well". Which is odd because up until this year I have never played D&D in my life, lol

Dispelling negative myths about snakes and other reptiles through education and understanding. All things nature, other animals, gluten free living with a little mix of the vegetarian & vegan lifestyle. Check us out!

Instagram: @skylilysnaturetv
Twitter: @skylilynaturetv
Youtube: skyliliysnaturetv

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 pm

D-Bee

Comment: Rifts, Robotech, and Palladium Fantasy - in that order
Razzinold wrote:
When I give the short answer I simply say, "Mad Max with monsters, mechs and magic".
When I give the long answer it's more like Erin Tarn. I mention the coming of the Rifts, mention some of the OCC's and give a lot of world detail. I find I don't have to give the long answer very often, all the newbies are hooked by the short answer.
On a rare occasion I have been heard to utter the phrase, "Like D&D but the technology as well". Which is odd because up until this year I have never played D&D in my life, lol

Agreed.
Short: scifi and fantasy mixed.
Long: let them read Erin's yarn and answer questions.