Can Prometheans smoke?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaaahhhh
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Can Prometheans smoke?

Unread post by gaaahhhh »

They could smoke if you set them on fire. :x :-)
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

You could let them smoke. BUt what is the point in that? A big purple skinned being smoking a cigar. He isn't Hannibal Smith! And he isn't Thanos of Titan either.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Smoking gives a "social advantage" for the smoker - things like he can bother his smokestick
gaining time for an answer, having his hands occupied and such. That is one thing.

The other thing is the fact that some smokers quit when they lost their eyesight, because
it wasn't half the fun without seeing the smoke... (Well, still not the most tempting way to
quit smoking :roll: ).

All in all, a Promethean could smoke and has a few reasons to do it, but nicotine
is probably not amongs them.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

It makes it harder to sneak around when you smell like a cigar or cigarette. :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

This brings up another question:

How do they smell? (Yeah, awfull... )

----------------
And of course its the question whether or not people (or at least some species/cultures/subcultures)
smoke or not in the 3 Galaxies?

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a good question. But somehow I'm sure that there are people there that smoke. Might have a large number of things considering the number of planets that exist in the Three Galaxies that possess life.

HH....FIE
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Aramanthus wrote:That is a good question. But somehow I'm sure that there are people there that smoke. Might have a large number of things considering the number of planets that exist in the Three Galaxies that possess life.

Maybe they have deathsticks too.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Aramanthus
Monk

That is some interesting little sploogie treat, Gadrin. Another nice little treat. I agree about that one being an oddball too.

HH....FIE
mellowmaveric
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by mellowmaveric »

Well if they are going to smoke to stall for time they might as well paste on a beard for stroking and looking wise while thinking.
Aramanthus
Monk

Actually I agree with Gadrin on this. According to the book itself which list them as supernatural. As with any OCC or RCC it depends on the people running it. There are people out there who could play this one character and the character could interact with beings far above his own power levels and you couldn't tell, because the player is playing it far above what it was first envisioned by it's creators. And then you take another player who is considered another great player who plays this character and never comes even close to playing it near where it's creators envisioned it. Of course the GM they play with could heavily influence how it is played.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

gadrin wrote:
Rogue_Scientist wrote:Book says they don't need to breathe. Does this mean that they don't, or just that they don't require oxygen anymore? I assume they still use air to talk. Can they smoke? Cigars and such?

While we're here, what about drinking? :lol:

Well, one of the major trade items I use in my PW uni is Splugorth Tobacco, it's just like cuban cigars, illegal in most CCW ports o'call, ALL TGE ports and likewise in most other places (UWW, Altess).

However it's not a drug or poison or anything, it's just really good, so a lot of people smoke it, because it's good and it's a status (danger) symbol.
>

"Yes, supposedly Igor rolls them between his thighs...or someone's thighs...I really don't ask..."(Terry Pratchett; The Fifth Elephant)

"The tobacco is rolled between the thighs of young maidens who don't have souls...or so I've heard."(Terry Practhett; Jingo)

Either one could apply...

A rune cigar cutter?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

It gives the smuggler in Phase World something to begin with and to expand on.

HH....FIE
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

I can't really see Prometheans smoking at all, since even the First Stage ones are kinda... well, fey and enlightened and such. Some of them might dabble in recreational drugs (including tobacco) just to see what all the fuss is about and get a bit of perspective, but I imagine a promethean appreciating the experience enough to develop a habit since it's just so trivial compared to what they usually do. And with their high ME and PE, they'll also be less susceptible to addiction and feel less of the physiological effects than ordinary people.

Basically smoking or drinking would be at best just a phase (no pun intended) they go through on their search for experience and understanding, and at worst a rather silly affectation.
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
People don't smoke cigars because they're addicted to nicotine.

At least not only because of it...

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Vices, large or small, don't necessarily have to be pleasant in the traditional sense....social pressure, force of habit, addiction...somewhere along the line, even if you initially find it repulsive, pointless, or bland, you become accustomed to having a drink in your hand, a cigar stuck between your lips, as part of routine, or you acquire a psychosomatic need for it....
Prometheans might take up smoking(or a facsimile of it) to fit in socially with other species, or it may have some other effect on them rather than 'smoke in the lungs, nicotine in the blood)...there might be some surface skin/tissue reaction, or maybe they absorb some chemical through their eye membranes(in which case 'puffers' or aerosol sprayers might be a Promethean vogue)...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Because I know people like Rogue_Scienctist mentioned. They aren't addicted to those things. They like the pleasures of some things once in awhile.

HH....FIE
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Rogue_Scientist wrote:
Rallan wrote:I can't really see Prometheans smoking at all, since even the First Stage ones are kinda... well, fey and enlightened and such. Some of them might dabble in recreational drugs (including tobacco) just to see what all the fuss is about and get a bit of perspective, but I imagine a promethean appreciating the experience enough to develop a habit since it's just so trivial compared to what they usually do. And with their high ME and PE, they'll also be less susceptible to addiction and feel less of the physiological effects than ordinary people.

People don't smoke cigars because they're addicted to nicotine. I haven't smoked cigarettes in over 10 years. I smoke something like 1d6 cigars a year. You think I do it for the nicotine? It's not an addiction. Its a pleasurable activity.

Same deal with people who appreciate fine wine, good scotch, etc. The guys who order 50 year old Scotch (yes, it exists) usually aren't doing it to get hammered, or because they're alcoholics. I'm not saying there aren't some people who go for those things who are alcoholic, but usually the cost/reward ratio keeps these people buying in bulk.

You're describing an extremely small minority of smokers and drinkers. An even smaller minority once you turf out all the afficionados who developed a taste for the finer stuff as a result of some much more indiscriminate indulgence in their youth.

You're also describing what's basically an affectation.
Aramanthus
Monk

I guess that even they if they are PCs can choose to do things that seem to go against the grain of their race and be an oddball. Sometimes that can be fun!

HH....FIE
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

well.... when they get shot with Plasma weapons or get fire-balled they'd be smoking.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Aramanthus
Monk

I always support the one absolute about gaming. The GM has the last say what can and can not be in his game. It's also up to the players to work within the bound of these little restrictions set by the GM. Team work by both is what usually creates the best results. So if your GM and you agree that the Prometheans like smoking that might be what differs your particular version of the universe with someone elses. It just adds to the variety of universes out there! :ok:

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”