Danka fer the review DtMK

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Danka fer the review DtMK

Unread post by Steeler49er »

I just wanted to say how much I appreciate your review, and NOW I will buy the book. I say "NOW" because I'd just boughtn the New Robotech SC book a few weeks ago while waiting fer Dead Reign to come out...

And because of all the Rave reviews given by others, I actually ended up being super dissappointed by that book! I was a lil tift at PB cuz of a few things not meshing (arts great, but sizes are off alot and etc..), and ever more peeved at H-Gold fer shuving More retcon in one single movie/RPG than Marvel & DC have over the last 5years Combined.

If ANY of those reviews woulda been much more honest (Like saying "Just get it fer the niffy looking new transformable ATV's", than I'd have purchesed IT and The New source book thats just come(ing?) out...

But, as it stands, I will Not be wasting my money on it, simply because I was REALY looking forward to RobotechSC and am Mega Disappointed by it (Crushed actually). And that got me scared away from Buying PB anymore since I felt the only Reviews I'd ever get again would be made by Mad Crazed fans who yell "Palladium RoX!" and I'd again Never get a fare idea of what I'm getting.

BUT, your review has got me more than willing to buy This New Dead Reign book, and NOW i can't wait to get it.

Thank you DtMK.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Re: Danka fer the review DtMK

Unread post by Steeler49er »

On another note, I to am a little sad that the Super natural was stripped from the game. Normal I'd agree with what "Geronimo 2.0" Said about the lameness of using magic as the great "Idiot hippy Fix" that it Always ends up in the roll of. As it stands, I hate superstitiousness and Do NOT believe in such...

BUT, fer this Once, I'd actualy wanted DReign to have some (Just a little) added into the game. I do in fact like the Vampire Intelligence that palladium came up with, Because otherwise we'd just have ended up playing another (poor'er) verson of World Of Darknesses "Vampire the (Emo) Masquerade"... And that is just Not what I wanted.

Render Unto White Wolf that which is White Wolfs, and Unto Palladium that which is PB's... I say.

But with EVERYONE and their Uncles now-a-days trying to Add tech explainations to everything that's been classically considered the realm of the Super Natural, Its starting to get old! With the exeption of a few movies like Army of Darkness, most every Vampire, Were Wolf, and Zombie flick these days have tried to to make SN Horror films more Sci Horror. Blade, 28 Days & Weeks Later, Alien Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Re-Animator, Grind House (Planet Terror), The Flood (Halo), Ressident Evil, Quarantine, I AM LEGEND, The Rage, REC, SARS Wars, Undead, and countless others are are all about some scientifically based plauge... And it's starting to get old already...
Even Rifts had Techno Zombies Juicers (Which... Was Freaky cool)

Where as as I'd usually have been one of the guys in the past Railing fer such a consept, Its getting WAY to overused now-a-days, and needs a breather.

Geronimo 2.0's right about Magic, but NOT about Having Magic excluded from Dead Reign. I like Science, I LOVE science, I do NOT beleive in Magic... BUT, there is NO WAY a medical break through gone wrong, Nor a Super Ebola virus could EVER MAKE REAL ZOMBIES!
Once your Dead, You Rot... Period... Than that super niffy meat on your bones (Called "Muscles") falls off. Your brain is dead, so No control... Your heart Bleeds out and Dies... And your Zombie life ends in a day or so... Dead Reigns now a very...VERY short book!!!

And If it's a SUPER Virus (welcome to VU-Viruses Unlimited :lol: ), well, than that don't, and CAN'T exist either! At that point, your explaination fer getting one of these Crazy things to work becomes MORE proposterious than magic! I mean, who would create such a thing, outside of a looney group like Umbrella.... Have I ever told you the 5 things I HATE the most in life are; CRAZY AI's based off of Angsty lil British girls, Psychics, Cops, Politicians and LASERS!!!
(I swear that, Resident Evil didn't have Mila Jovovich in it, i'da protested that movie fer having all 4 outta five of those things in it.)

My point is, It is just pushing it to have Yet another lame "Science goes Wrong" Zombie movie (Or RPG) out there. Lets go back to basics... Lets make SuperNatural Zombies, supernatural agian!
Last edited by Steeler49er on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
Shotgun Jolly
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shotgun Jolly »

Well Said "."

Now, I like most of those zombie movies, wither their Tech based, or SN based. To me, I always found it cool, no matter what reason we have zombies.. the fact remains.. We Have Zombies! And we are all going to die.

The major thing that sold me in the Rifter version. You know, the one thing that I thought was one of the best ideas to ever be added to zombie lore was the fact the zombies not just crave flesh and "Brains" but PPE.. That is cool! I love it! And from here on in, i am going to consider that a fact.

Now, I like my games open ended. To me, it sounds as if Dead Reign is kinda a source book, left open to be used with any Megaversal system. Its more of a open source book... Yes, I am told its using the BTS rule set.. but the one thing about zombies, is that, no matter what world, what game system, Sci Fi, Fantasy.. Modern.. what ever.. zombies always rock!

Maybe the idea behind dead reign was to provide a book that gave you not just zombies, but enough leeway to be used in any system.. meanwhile, be used as their own standard zombie version.

That makes sense to me..

Can someone tell me if the idea of zombies feeding off the PPE is still in the book?
©-JC Locke retains ownership and rights of all original artwork and information posted
by the ShotGun Jolly account.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

You're quite welcome, and thank YOU for the kudos! I just wanted to tell people what I saw and how I felt. I have no problem with Palladium trying to satisfy people by making a genre in and of itself that caters to people that are sans magic and psi. What royally ticked me off was expecting ONE thing, then getting something else. If it were more open, I might have embraced it as a good idea. But with the hype DR got in Rifter #40, then this, it ticked me off. So, I'm glad my review helped.

And yes, the zombies not only feed on P.P.E., but they expanded on the zombie's senses. They talk about how even a zombie with no eyes and empty sockets can still sense P.P.E., and how eerie it is to have an eyeless zombie still coming after you. A nice touch, and once again a nod to Max Brooks IMHO.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave

Return to “Dead Reign™”