GM Starting 1st PFRPG Campaign Questions? Update.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

bigbobsr6000
Hero

GM Starting 1st PFRPG Campaign Questions? Update.

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

1st I know I can change anything to suit my campaign and use house rules, etc. That being said:

The PCs are a minataur warrior, a wolfen mind mage, a dansi wizard and a human with batwings collector. He got the batwings due to a background roll-up.

Now, as I have read through the books (I have them all) I see that humans and wolfen are enemies. Human are enemies with monster races like the minatuar. The dansi want to kill or be killed by wolfen in combat. Any one with batwings would be considered a monster race. So, how can this party exist trusting each other. If they do for some reason, it seems they will be shunned or attacked by humans at every turn. In Western Empire, wolfen are slaves or attacked at the least infraction and human, elf, dwarf, gnomes word is always accepted over non-human races.

So, it seems this party would be very limited on the places they could go. Do I need to have all re-roll PCs to only be humans, elves, dwarfs or gnomes?

Suggestions on how they could adventure into human areas or Western Empire without fear of being attacked at any moment?

I really want to do good and try to stick to the books.

Any help, please :?
Last edited by bigbobsr6000 on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Should be alright in the Northern Wilderness. There's enough motley crews there it shouldn't be a stretch. Probably not much of a problem in the Old Kingdom and Baalgor Wastelands for many of the same reasons.

Definitely a wilderness campaign on your hands.

Let us know what you come up with.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would put them in the Northern Hinterlands (i.e. the western part of the Northern Wilderness). You've got an eclectic group that is not going to smoothly integrate into society... so they need to go where society doesn't function that much.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Jimbo
Wanderer

Unread post by Jimbo »

bigbobsr6000, I know what you are going through. My group is an odd mix as well. They are as follows: Wolfen Shaman, Troll Earth Warlock, Troll Mercenary, Gnome Thief, Dwarf Warrior Monk, Human Mercenary. Had an Elven Longbowman and a Kobold Thief. They have passed beyond unfortunately.

As far as the relationships between the characters themselves, we look at this way. Any member of the group could be considered a bit off the racial norms as they are wandering adventurers. When most stay at home and follow social norms, we wander the world making our own way. If you have good players the friendships and animosities will develope on their own. As a matter of fact, Maul, the human, has been accepted by the Trolls to the point of them declaring him an "Honorary Beast" and happily fighting side by side with him. The best part of such an eclectic group is that it is fairly easy to accept any race that you will allow to be played into it. A lot of it will depend on what the players see as the outlook of their character. If they go strictly by the books, then it will be difficult for the group to exist very long at all. If they take it as a case by case basis instead of tarring an entire race with one brush, things can work out. Again, it goes back to being a bit off the social norm.

Going into town is a different story. Maul has official papers from the Timiro Kingdoms showing ownership of both the Troll Warlock and the Wolfen Shaman. That helps there, but taking the Wolfen into any town in the Eastern Trerritory is a risky proposition. And we won't even get into the Trolls. Try finding an Inn that they wil fit in much less be allowed in. The way we work it, is whoever has the best shot at getting in and out of town without causing problems takes a shopping list and heads for the store, so to speak.

There are always going to be places where the group as a whole is not welcome just due to race. It is the nature of the world. You can play this up or down as much as you want. We tend to play it down a bit, but it is all part of the adventure.

No, I wouldn't say that you have to have the group re-roll characters. Let them play it out and see how it goes. Two things to remember; the rules are more like guidelines to a world that you control. So what you say goes. Second, and more importantly, if everyone is having fun you're doing it right.

Don't know if this helped or even made sense, but I hope you can gain something from it.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

I'm going to use the reason they are banned together is for mutual protection due to being such "outcasts". Like squabling brothers/sisters that seem to hate each other, but if another says or does something against one the others join in to protect them. Not out of any "love" for the other but for combined front realizing they could be picked off individually much eaiser.

The Wolfen helped free the Minataur from Human slavers along with other Wolfens. They later encountered the Dansi who had been wounded by a roving band of human highwaymen and helped him because he was attacked by humans. The three of them while traveling a few days later, encounter the batwinged Human who was finally chased out of his Human village after the death of his parents, he also sustained a severe beating at the hands of the Humans. So, using Humans as the common thread of them banding together to never suffer at their hands again.

Off this background I can off shoot many adventures and "trouble" for them to get into. And reasons for some internal strife.

What do you all think?
bigbobsr6000
Hero

I like the idea of magical disguises, but they have to earn the gold first to buy them.

The idea for the Mind Mage to practice his craft on persons encountered is a good idea too. Just hope he thinks of it during encounters.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

So far so good.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Thanks guys for your input. :D
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Thanks for sharing. Shaping up to be a good game.
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, there are plenty of ways to explain away why the characters wouldn't just attack eachother. They are probably different from the majority of their people, and as such are adventurers. It also stands to reason that they do not have the same prejudices as the average member of their races. However, the big problem will be operating in lads dominated by a particular race. Not only will they have big problems in the Western Kingdoms, Eastern Territories, Timiro Kingdom, and Land of the South Winds, they will also most likely have issues in the Northern Wilderness. Danzi and humans with wings are not going to be welcome there. Also, a minotaur will stick out and be persecuted almost everywhere.

On a side note, how did a human with bat wings end up being a Collector?

I digress. As most people have said, this is a group that will have to work on the fringes of society. They are essentially going to be shunned by any group of people, specifically the Old Ones worshipping Minotaur and the Demon. That's how most people are going to see them.

Still, there are plenty of options for them in lands like Baal-gor, Yin-sloth, and as NExx said, the Northern Hinterlands.

-Vek
"Bat Wings?"
Astroconch
D-Bee

Unread post by Astroconch »

I was just wondering if the one with bat wings **** guano? :P

O and Vek you know you love Rifts.
Long live the Travelers!

"Some things just aren't funny. Beatings aren't funny. Mimes
aren't funny. But beating a mime - why is that so hilarious?"
-- Dave Attell
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

If their alignments are all evil should be simple enough to put them anywhere....or well anywhere evil anyway.
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
bigbobsr6000
Hero

UPDATE

The guy who was playing the Dansi changed to a Gnome Wizard before the 1st session. Doing back ground roll up, he had a history of being a pirate and became a pirate captain. So, he started out with a small ship and hired a crew including the other PC's. It has worked out just fine. I started with the 1st adventure idea in the Western Empire book about one merchant hiring them to forestall another merchant's ship (his competitor) from selling his goods for two weeks and not harming the merchant, just keep him for the duration and then release him.

I did change one thing. The Wolfen and such are looked down on and distrusted but still allowed in the towns. May not get service or charged double at places. The guard keep awary eye on them. You know, toned it down a bit from bieng out right killed on site in most places to "Watch your step while in town." Their punishment would be harsher than an acceptable race if convicted. Still keep the sense of "doom" hanging over their heads as it were but able to move around in the towns and cities.

There would be less desirable establishments that would except all kinds of races outside the limits of a town or city. You know, anyone with the gold can stay, no questions asked. A bit steep for the price of bed of straw on the floor in a 20 bed room. Much higher price for a private or 4 beds in same room.

All this can and has led to some interesting encounters after 2 sessions. One big fight to take over the ship they were hired to get.

Its going great with the pirate ship theme.

Thanks for all your guy's input :D
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Re: GM Starting 1st PFRPG Campaign Questions? Update.

Unread post by Levi »

Getting this group together will be very interesting. Have them write up back grounds, that could help.

As for places to adventure, I agree with the others that Baalgor and the Old Kingdoms would work well. I really like the Baalgor wastes. And although the Northern Hinder Lands would work, I personally have never found them interesting to adventure. It is almost too desolate in that region.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”