Tools of the trade

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Tools of the trade

Unread post by taalismn »

Darkmax wrote:And if they let in too many?.... BOOM! :D

Or maybe start selling the power back to the local power grid...
THAT would make people less ill-disposed towards nightclubs in their neighborhoods!
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Those are some excellent gear guys! And you even managed to stay away from food! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

:::Looking around and then looking at the camera innocently!::: "Who me?" :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Darkmax wrote:We'll start with the Waste Recycler... basically it will transmute any waste output into their basic form... molecules. And at another end, where a family is all seated for dinner... calls upon the magic of The Food Fabricator.... the appropriate atoms are then re-assembled into their favorite dishes....

Actually, we have this IRL. What is more, it is a solar powered model.

On the downside, it is very time consuming, needs a lot of space and
is subject to weather. We call it agriculture.

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

The biggest problem with human waste is that any plants that grow with it use are toxic! Therefore you need to find a way to detoxify it. If you do that it's useable.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I am also talking about human bodily waste. Human bodily waste causes plants like corn to grow to nine feet tall in experiments done back in the 50 and 60's. But the food produced was highly toxic. You'd have to detoxicify it to actually eat it.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Darkmax wrote:hmm.... but if you use a moleculizer and remoleculizer... it should be perfectly alright... :D Afterall... one needs to add in other molecular stuffs to make food....

Self-replicating, solar powered nanites. Or call them algae for short.
:lol:

Adios
KLM
But still, one of the most basic rules for survival on any planet is never to upset someone wearing black leather - This is why protesters against the wearing of animal skins by humans unaccountably fail to throw their paint over Hell's Angels.
- Terry Prachett

Small font: use ctrl+c and copy it, so you can read. But since it is in small fonts, it is not important. I am not a NE salesperson.
Aramanthus
Monk

That would work if you could an protein based matrix to the material. Perferable animal proteins. Since they work better with our bodies better then the plants proteins generally do.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

It makes an interesting concept for a ship system.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of ship you are going to grow!

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Idea 1:
Do not overestimate it, just a hydroponic garden, like the one mentioned
in the Scimitar patrol ship.

Idea 2:
Grown ships... How much PPE an organic hull can store?

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Of course if it's as advanced as the Vorlons or Shadows of Babylon 5 it might be capable of a lot of PPE storage.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh ok. Well let's see what you've come up DM!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Try it. Give ity a try. We'd like to see it!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Hmmmm. I was hoping that some new material for this thread. Hey what about magic gear? Can we put new magic derived gear over on this thread if it is found in Phase World? What do the others think of that?

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm getting some really wicked ideas for magic gear. I just have to figure who do make it work in Rifts and Phase world. But there are some really cool ideas floating around in my head at this time.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Aramanthus wrote:Hmmmm. I was hoping that some new material for this thread. Hey what about magic gear? Can we put new magic derived gear over on this thread if it is found in Phase World? What do the others think of that?

Magic goes to the UWW thread IMO, even if it is sploog or ultrovian in origin.

Psilite, Phase tech are all welcome here, though.

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

No Problem KLM> I was just asking.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

And I answered best to my knowledge. :D

Hope noone got the impression I collect the heads of people
stuffed and nailed on my wall, for topic derailing :wink:

Otherwise I migh spend a few millenia in prison :clown:

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Man Darkmax you to expand your mind. Try playing a mage once in awhile! It can be a lot of fun!

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

No, I mean play one. Expand your capabilities.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

"Come my son, together we can rules this galaxy..."

:D
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

ROFLMAO!!! That is exactly what I was talking about KLM!!! :lol: :D

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Use the fork, dude... :D
- Terry Prachett

Aramanthus
Monk

Have we done surveilance gear? Maybe we should do some of that.

Range of hidden sound microphones. From 50 credits to 3000 credits
The range of the cheapest microphone is 50 meters. The range of the upper end microphone is three kilometers. The cheapest microphone can be detected by any amatuer and the most expensive require specialized gear used by experts.

Just an intital thought.

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

But then you'd need some sort of bug that would still have to be in close to the target. So what sort cost would that have? Maybe 10,000 credits?

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

LINNUS--Living Intervention Neural-Network Universal Symbiote

“My blue blanket...give me back my blue blanket!”
---_The Producers_

The original concept of the LINNUS is actually quite simple and useful...a biogenetically-tailored living wrapping that could be drapped around an accident victim and used to provide both physical comfort and low-level psychic shock-support/healing. Using a combination of advanced fabric weave and genetically engineered lichen-sponge hybrid, a soft, flexible, spongy fabric has been produced, with a rudimentary capillary system, and a basic nervous system of sorts, that can be easily maintained and stored on the shelf for long periods of time, until needed.
The organism is activated by body heat and ambient PPE, and goes to work immediately with low-level empathic projections that calm a distraught and traumatized person, keeping them from going into shock, and jump-starting the body’s own healing mechanisms. Megadamage ‘smart’ fabric interwoven with the organism provides additional protection from the elements and other dangers. The organism is kept alive by small amounts of body heat and moisture, but can be removed from a patient, cleaned( a nutrient supplement is added as part of the cleaning process), folded, freeze-dried into dormancy, and stored for re-use. The LINNUS works on most sentient beings(hence the ‘Universal’ part of its name). Since its introduction, the LINNUS has become an invaluable part of paramedics’, EMTs’, and first-responders’ medical kits for stabilizing and calming crisis survivors.
The UWW has its own version of the LINNUS that incorporates magic properties into its fabric, making it even more useful. It is woven with a blend of stablized ectoplasmic yarn, enhancing its mystic properties. One of the most useful properties of the UWW version is that it seems to have an aversion effect for most supernatural monsters. keeping them at bay(and likely to seek easier prey)...UWW thaumaubiologists are at a loss how this came to be, but their colleagues with kids simply explained to them; “Well, d’uh! It’s a SECURITY blanket!”.
Because of their expertise with biological organisms, it is rumored that the Splugorth have also copied this, and have their own version...of course, some of the tales of what the Splugorth have REALLY done with the innocuous LINNUS concept border on nightmarish(evil grin).

Appearance: A fluffy pink or light blue blanket, roughly 3-6 ft square. It comes folded in a plastic foil wrapper.
MDC: A typical LINNUS will have 4d6 MDC (UWW versions have DOUBLE the MDC)
Special Properties:
*Thermal Protection---Can handle temperatures up to 200 degrees centigrade and down to -20 degrees centigrade
Bonuses:
+10 save vs Coma/Death
+5 to save versus Insanity
+5 to save versus Possession
Psionics:
*Empathic Projection-Love/Peacefulness(Contact)(No cost)
Magic:(UWW Version)
Four times per day, 20 minute duration)
*Breath Without Air
*Impervious to Fire
*Impervious to Cold
*Light Healing
*Cure Minor Disorders
*Sheltering Force
*Energy Field(6 minutes per use)
*Circle of Protection(Permanent)
Risks: Unfortunately, over-use of a LINNUS can result in dependence and addiction; Make a roll versus ME for extended use(over a week of continuous use) . Failure means the person has fixated on the security blanket and will become increasingly agitated if deprived of it; sleeplessness, bouts of depression, and general lassitude set in, similar to a Crazy’s Object of Power fixation. Extreme cases of addiction are also possible, in which the security-addict cannot go ANYWHERE without having the blanket nearby or on their person. Extended use of a LINNUS is therefore reommended only under the supervision of a doctor or psychiatrist/crisis counselor.
Cost: 8,000 credits for the standard weave, 25,000 credits for the UWW version;
Priceless for those who become dependent on them.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

Actually since many critters feed on fear, anger and similar emotions,
someone wrapped in a LINNUS might be as attractive to them as a
rabid skunk to most humans.

In other words: :ok:

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

KLM wrote:Actually since many critters feed on fear, anger and similar emotions,
someone wrapped in a LINNUS might be as attractive to them as a
rabid skunk to most humans.

In other words: :ok:

Adios
KLM

I dunno if you ever saw the 'Batman/Judge Dread' crossover comic where the Batman villian Scraecrow runs into Judge Death and promptly sprays him with his Fear Spray...The liche just goes ape-grond writhing in agony, while the Scarecrow looks on in interest, and muses aloud; "I wonder what such a creature of pure evil and terror would find so frightening?"
Of COURSE that's a set up line!
Now the comic has been drawn in this utterly dark and bleary fashion, with a pallete of utterly depressing gloom-sides, that the next frame is utterly blinding: flowers, spring day, My Little Pony, Carebears, plushies as far as the eye can see....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:Nice one.... Does it come in shrink wrap or loose wrap?....

Shrinkwrap....for more compact storage...ready to go when needed...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:well.. should have one that removes water from item being wrap and rehydrates when it is being unwrap. :D

Yeah, you can probably rig up a portable freeze-dryer to facilitate re-packaging..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:keep the item small enough to occupy one-eigth of the original space.

"You're not putting my blankie into that cold dark small place...he doesn't like being in the dark..."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Very good new gear Taalismn!

How about MDC Shrink wrap. That would protect some of the more delicate products being shipped to distant ports. Say 75 credits for a roll of it.

HH....FIE
KLM
Knight

Unread post by KLM »

I those goods ARE that delicate, they are crushed.

But as things are, those stuff would be crushed by normal packing foil too...

Adios
KLM
- Terry Prachett

taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:well... I was just thinking if someone is left to freeze-dry for future re-ainmation.... wouldn't the bones and structures become brittle through the process as well... thus if a suction is turned on for too long, it will literally suck the calcium and such out of the person... no?

Nope...if you're freezedrying for later revivification, it's presumed the species being so treated can survive that sort of punishment...certainly I wouldn't recommend it for humans or other mammals...but the danger is in sucking moisture out before it it can freeze solid...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:linus..... :D

Little tribute to Charles Schultz... :-D
OF course, as much as Linus's blanket was stolen and abused by Lucy and Snoopy, the blanket gave even better back...At least once it ambushed Lucy from a chandelier, and another time formed an enormous arm and hand that proceeded to toss Lucy around like a throw pillow... :demon:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

So does Linnus come with a powder blue security blanket? :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:So does Linnus come with a powder blue security blanket? :D

My friend and Brother...that comment makes me realize that you are badly in need of 'Peanuts' therapy...
Who has so deprived you of the pleasures of one of the great cultural icons of modern history... ?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

"Peanut's therapy?" That scares me a little Taalismn. :D

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

I'm not allergic to peanuts. And Linus's blanket was always shown as light powder blue over here on TV.

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Light blue...made it identifiable even from the ground when Lucy made it into a kite...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

So does your Linnus creation use a light blue blanket? I still would like to hear that. Or is that and up grade? :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Aramanthus wrote:So does your Linnus creation use a light blue blanket? I still would like to hear that. Or is that and up grade? :D

It IS a light blue blanket...thus, it cannot become insecure or psychotically depressed...it isn't engineered that way...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Darkmax wrote:electric blue blanket...... :D

With the high voltage field? Any monster seeking to lay a mitt on the kid gets ZAPPED
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

As long as Lucy doesn't cut it up to make a diplay for school with it! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Oh yes..."The Clothboard Incident" :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Oh the HORROR of it all! Please someone save the blanket!

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Holopalm---This is a holographic projector installed in the palm of an artificial hand, with the main projector in the palm, and additional projection guides in the fingers, able to project a six-inch tall holographic image floating just above the hand. Data feed is from a chip slot in the wrist or data-feed from elsewhere in the body via a fiber optic cable.

The more advanced version is the Nanoholotoo---Basically a nanite-installed tattoo that reshapes itself into a short-range holographic projector just under the surface of the skin, and able to project a pre-set 6-inch image(usually an ID code or gang symbol) at will, floating about 2-3 inches above the skin, at will. Unlike the Holopalm, NHTs can only hold 1-4 images(programmed at the time of installation) and can only sustain the image for as many melees as the person has P.E. points, after which the user must shut the grid off for twice as many minutes before its bio-batteries recharge. Popular with government authorities as ID and gangs that can afford the process(about 3,000 credits +800 credits for every additional image programmed into it)...Usually 'painted' in the hand(back of hand, or palm), forearm, shoulder, or chest, but occasionally on the back or head...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

"Can we watch the concert on your hand, PLEASE?"
"It's a four-hour concert! I've got other things I need to do with my hand!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

That is a very cool device and very useful in either Phase World or Rifts. Now a full conversion borg should have one of those added on to their set up. That way they could Project for a very long time.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”