Spell Strength

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

sorry gadrin, I am not following what you mean...please elaborate...
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
2bent2
D-Bee
Comment: War, war never changes...

Unread post by 2bent2 »

from what i have seen no spell strength increase unless it is in an OCC. the super spy and the temporal warrior are hybrids and wont get the bonus unlike llw and shifter who are true spell casters.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

2bent2 wrote:from what i have seen no spell strength increase unless it is in an OCC. the super spy and the temporal warrior are hybrids and wont get the bonus unlike llw and shifter who are true spell casters.
sounds fair to me...why should a character who is not devoting his/her full attention to magic get a benefit of an increased spell strength? especially since the LLW and the Shifter's spell strength bonuses are not that high to begin with...
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Huh, honestly, I don't remember them ever getting additional spell strength unless it was listed under OCC.
mobuttu
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Palladium fan from overseas

Unread post by mobuttu »

It seems it currently goes by OCC statement.

But don't discard it may be an errata (they even forget about Ley Line/Rifts magic boosting), so feel free to apply it as you see fit ;)
- Un blog de Rifts. My blog about our game.
- Maqui Ed. My RPG company.

I received a *Nekira Seal of Approval*...Once! :P
"always remember; the Splugorth can do anything" - everloss
Sorry for my bad English! :o
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

just because it wasn't reprinted dosn't mean it's negated.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Yes, just means the mainbook still has some uses. It is the most up today on the subject.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

gadrin wrote:no it looks like the changed it. since it says so specifically.

I think it just means: use whatever was in use when the OCC was made.

Well, that sucks! What about the Battle Magus whose spell strength just says "standard, has a good understanding of the principles of magic"? I understand that they are focused on combat, but they are still part of the Magus Brotherhood and as such be considered to have an understanding of magic at least equal to that of any other dedicated magic user.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Well, enless they came out and said that no other OCCs get spell strength bonus. I would still use the Mainbook.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Mouser13 wrote:

Well, enless they came out and said that no other OCCs get spell strength bonus. I would still use the Mainbook.

This would be a right nice idea there Mouser...except....RUE is now 2 years old...its not very likly that new players will have access to a pre RUE main book.

RUE
2nd printing
Page 187
under the heading of magic terms
Spell strength
its says
this number is higher when a spell is cast by a more powerful practioner of magic; typical range is 13-15. Each Magic O.C.C. will indicate at what levels of experience a mage may increase his spell strength.
so in answer to the original question yes it does appear (at first blush) that those classes do get gyped on spell strength.
however many of the books are getting RUE upgrades so this may change...
My suggestion...If you have access to a pre-RUE main book go with what it says about spell strength. If you do not have access to one (odds are good you are a new player to the rifts megaverse) just use what the OCC states as most of the books coming back into print are being RUE updated.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Gravitus Everlast wrote:I thought spell strength and or durations were listed in the spell descriptions themselves... but I think you guys are talking about something entirely different than what I'm thinking of.

Yes, and no their is note on alot of spells that said like +2 to save or -2 save. These where in addition the mage's normal spell strength that we are talking about here.

Example. my 5 level temporal wizard had +2 spell strength so it balance out the +2 of sup animation. SO I like to go around a putting villins in 50 year sleep spell.
bigbobsr6000
Hero

Unread post by bigbobsr6000 »

jackylcale wrote:I think most any magic occ should gain at least some spell strength as they level up. 12 is a pretty easy save, especially for the type of enemies you could be fighting when you're up to about 8th level or so. I hate it when players say things like " screw it, I'll just attack it with my pulse rifle instead cause it's got a +7 vs magic, there's no way in hell spells are gonna work..."

Kinda takes some of the fun out of spell casters.

AMEN, I agree :ok:
Mephisto: You have some morbid fantasies. I like it (okay)
pblackcrow:"If anyone deserves this it's you! (thwak) LOL...All in fun."
Natasha: Bob you're deadly. I like it.
Misfit KotLD: You're Gamer Bi-Polar.
Sanford: Excellent concept, Big Bob!
sasha: I think Bob gets the JUST A GAME award....for life.
Jerell: You sir, are ruthless, and that is why I like you.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Schwarz wrote:I thought about reintroducing the magic combat skills, a little different then in pfrg 1ed.

I'll also point out that bonuses were a lot lower in those days, too.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I don't know; most of the classes that don't get bonuses to spell strength are generally classes that mix improved combat skills with magic, and for them to use magic primarly to buff themselves and maybe deal direct damage and then use a weapon doesn't seem out of character.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Well, dragons are typically listed as being a level-whatever ley line walker/other practitioner of magic, so I give them the spell strength bonus a level-whatever one would have. Dragons also get bonuses to spell strength in RUE's dragon hand to hand table.

Similar with greater demons: most say they cast spells equal to a level-something caster, so give them the spell strength a caster at that level would have.

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”