Rifts to Recon

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GreenGhost
Adventurer

Rifts to Recon

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I'm having a hard time introducing my Rifts players to Recon Modern Combat.

Has anyone else had this problem and if so- how did you remedy it?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Find out what their specific dislikes about the game are, find out what they really like in a game, try to reduce/overcome the former and provide the latter.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Jefffar wrote:Find out what their specific dislikes about the game are, find out what they really like in a game, try to reduce/overcome the former and provide the latter.

I think they are really into the "High Power" of Rifts. Thanks for the advice though.

Jefffar is Wise! :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Peacebringer
Adventurer

Unread post by Peacebringer »

Rifts vs. Recon would be so much fun!!!
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Well, then you are looking at a lot of aircraft and artillery if they want high power.

Even then it is a whole different mindset and approach for players to be successful.

They have to want it. They have to want to play RECON, as in play RECON, and not a Riftsish style of RECON. Otherwise, well, I don't see the point.

So, yea, what Jefffar said.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

We just rifted some of the PCs into Recon, translating their stats and gear.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Peacebringer wrote:Rifts vs. Recon would be so much fun!!!

Fun and Bloody... yep Fun :lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

lather wrote:Well, then you are looking at a lot of aircraft and artillery if they want high power.

Even then it is a whole different mindset and approach for players to be successful.

They have to want it. They have to want to play RECON, as in play RECON, and not a Riftsish style of RECON. Otherwise, well, I don't see the point.

So, yea, what Jefffar said.

They showed interrest before, but I think they are having a "Rifts Zone" right now. I hopefully that means they simply like the campaign that they're in right now. :P
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Killer Cyborg wrote:We just rifted some of the PCs into Recon, translating their stats and gear.

That's an idea. I like it :D
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
AdmTolval
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Rifts to Recon

Unread post by AdmTolval »

I can understand some of the problems introducing players from Rifts to Recon. Rifts: Player - "While wearing my MDC armor, I leap on the grenade", GM - "You take the damage, stand up and dust yourself off." Recon: Player - "While wearing my flak armor, I leap on the grenade", GM - "You take the damage, die, have a closed casket funeral, and roll yourself a new character". :D

Seriously, if your characters don't like Recon, introduce it into Rifts. I ran a Vietnam style campaign years ago using the players as part of the Coalition in Lone Star fighting against Pecos Raiders or "Papa Romeos" (P.R.). They were on a Vietnam style fire base. Artillery was the medium range missile launcher of an Enforcer. Episodes of Tour of Duty helped out alot on adventure ideas. If your group is more diverst (ie Mages and D-Bees), you could be part of a Lazlo group or a Tolkeen Retribution squad working like the VC.
slade the sniper
Hero

Re: Rifts to Recon

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Sounds fun.

The games I run (and have played in before) with RIFTS have all been much bloodier/grittier than normal...very much like a RECON game, just with more tech...PC's took concussion damage inside thier MDC armor, AP rounds could Penetrate MDC armor and kill PC's without having to completely destroy the robot/armor/etc...

They had air support, artillery, used chemical weapons, etc...

Very fun.

I hope your group continues to enjoy it.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”