How do Alien Intelligences Procreate?

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Id go with whatever you can imagine to be involved. The Cthulhu mythos could lend how offspring are spawned. As far as two Intelligences coming together to copulate, i don't know. But with I'm sure anything is plausible when it comes to Alien Intelligences.
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

This question will actually be answered in Thundercloud Galaxy, where a very old Splugorth has created a "son" to take over his Kingdom for him.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Mouser13
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mouser13 »

Yes, they just create one. Also seen with jupiter and someothers in pathon of megaverse
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Braden Campbell wrote:This question will actually be answered in Thundercloud Galaxy, where a very old Splugorth has created a "son" to take over his Kingdom for him.

Well, answered for Splugorth Intelligences anyway. I dunno if the ins and outs of Splugorth biology are gonna shed much light on where other alien intelligences come from.

Although at a guess I'd say it usually involves a really gigantic stork :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it depends on the AI, pure and simple. There is no universal AI biology.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

As of this writing, there is no known means by which Alien Intelligences reproduce themselves apart from Zurvan, whose species is simply implied to reproduce asexually -meaning, apparently, that for his type of Intelligence, whenever he/it wants to.

As purely Supernatural beings for whom DNA interchange is not relevant and for whom "evolution" has apparently stopped -Alien Intelligences are universally described as having been the same for at least millions of years -sexual reproduction does not necessarily apply.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
DocS
Adventurer

Unread post by DocS »

The key is to be creative!

Think of any permutation of 'reproduction method', and then imagine how it would work. This includes

1. Doesn't reproduce at all
2. 'splits' into identicle duplicates
3. Focuses the energy of the deaths of thousands of worlds into a Black hole vortex from which springs countless millions of malevolent larvae. These fly through space, land onto hapless worlds, warp and control them into horrific parodies of life, until 10,000 years pass at which point the entities and mature into full status upon the complete extermination of every living thing on their world.
4. "Artifact-like" creation of a Golem
5. Sex with mortal
6. Sex with an immortal
7. sex with itself, followed by budding and explusion of the larvae
8. doesn't 'reproduce' as much as it 'replaces', every so often the parent entity dies and impregnates into a sentient that becomes the next entity, played by David Tennant
9. Barbecue sauce, lots and lots of barbecue sauce (Can be added to ideas 5-8, but not #2 because that would be kinky)

Since these things are supposed to be ancient, powerful, alien, and nasty. Make any reproductive idea take an obscenely long time, require horrific efforts, be utterly bizarre, and hopefully be something PC's would want to stop.

And no, Devid Tennant covered in barbecue sauce is not kinky at all. It's actually rather sophisticated and tasteful, so there.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Keep in mind that Alien Intelligences strain the limits of human understanding. Thus, even if we know/figure how one species reproduces, that does not mean we explicitly know the "how of the how" (i.e. the biological and physiological implication of how exactly they reproduce asexually, et cetera).

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't speculate (in fact we should - simply because it's stimulating and fun). Just keep that in mind though, that we are dealing with creatures that often defy conventional scientific laws and understanding.

~Josh
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

i say DocS has it with #9 but with 6
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They procerate by making a part of themselves not themselves. Thus having some thing to boss around.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Keep in mind the word "Alien". As Josh pointed out, they defy logic and humanity's understanding of the physical and the metaphysical. The more bizarre and unbelievable, the more I think that you would be on the right track. Widen your scope on the definition of Alien. These aren't the ones found in the creation tables in Phase World or Aliens Unlimited, for those, mostly, still fall into our understanding of a lifeform.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Or you could take it back to the Lovecraftian roots that alien intelligences are obviously borrowing from. They come from strange, unknowable dimensions filled with beings that are beyond human comprehension, and the alien intelligences that we see are beings that managed to grow and evolve and devour their rivals until they developed the power and intelligence to force a part of themselves across the barrier between worlds and start interacting with our dimension in meaningful ways.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The only young AI so far has been in the Phase World Sourcbook. As far as I know.
Another option is maybe at some point one of its essence fragments eventually grows into a new AI.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Very carefully.

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Keep in mind that Alien Intelligences strain the limits of human understanding. Thus, even if we know/figure how one species reproduces, that does not mean we explicitly know the "how of the how" (i.e. the biological and physiological implication of how exactly they reproduce asexually, et cetera).

That doesn't mean that we shouldn't speculate (in fact we should - simply because it's stimulating and fun). Just keep that in mind though, that we are dealing with creatures that often defy conventional scientific laws and understanding.

~Josh

I am disturbed that you used the word stimulating while referring to Alien Intelligence reproduction.

Hey just be glad I didn't use the word...

No wait, I don't want to get banned.

:P

~ Josh
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i like the idea that some YAAI's reproduce through posession. the 'master minions' that it shares a fragment of itself with are really getting impregnated with larval YAAI's. and as the minions accumulate power those larval YAAI's grow, and eventually the minion becomes another YAAI.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

AzathothXy wrote:The only young AI so far has been in the Phase World Sourcbook. As far as I know.
Another option is maybe at some point one of its essence fragments eventually grows into a new AI.

But even the older intelligences have to have come from somewhere. Plenty of them have ages listed as being tens or hundreds of thousands of years old, which (in terms of the age of the universe as a whole) isn't really that long ago. They're not timeless beings as old as space itself, or ancient entities that have grown and evolved over hundreds of millions of years into something unrecognisably different from how they started. They popped into existence just the other day, at a time when the universe was almost exactly the same as it is now (give or take a few supernovas and the extinction of a few carbon-based life forms).
Josh Sinsapaugh

Splynncryth is said to be youngish for a Splugorth.

So Phase World is not the only mention of young AI.

~Josh
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Splynncryth is said to be youngish for a Splugorth.

~Josh

I meant more a child and parent AI.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How do Alien Intelligences Procreate?

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

mAd eAgle wrote:I was thinking of a character - Demigod son of a psynex as an npc (don't quite know how to explain - even to myself - how he was born). Is it at all possible?

Ever see the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode where Counselor Troi got knocked up?

Is childbirth related to PPE, Chi, or ISP? Or any of them? I seek a plausable answer and not some childish knitpicking as to what SOURCE one is refering! I don't care about facts cause they are merely someone elses opinion. I am after IDEAS that SOUND real enough. Can I be any clearer?

The books never, that I know of, get into it.
So just make up the answer for yourself.

Personally, it seems to me that The Old Ones are the adults, and Alien Intelligences are the baby Old Ones. They might be too young to reproduce.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Josh Sinsapaugh

AzathothXy wrote:
Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Splynncryth is said to be youngish for a Splugorth.

~Josh

I meant more a child and parent AI.

Ah, my mistake.

~ Josh
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Alejandro wrote:AI's reproduce exactly like human beings do. With a bottle of cheap booze and enough lies to get the other being to believe that it can't get pregnant "if we do it like this"

The only variable is how much booze it takes.

Sounds perfectly straightforward until you realise it's a klein bottle of cheap booze :)
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

Considering how amorphous & amoeba-like most AI's are, I figure they could simply subdivide themselves amoeba, then the resulting halves would have half the stats of the original, until they eventually grew to full power again.

Alternatively, maybe they create offspring a super-powered essence fragment, that eventually fully separates, and becomes an full-blown AI in its own right.
Apollo Okamura wrote:Kelorin WINZ!! :-)
TechnoGothic wrote:Kelorin WINZ!!
Pentoth
D-Bee

Unread post by Pentoth »

I generally assume that Intelligences are beyond space and time. Procreation for them wouldn't be an issue. They simply are.
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Unread post by JTwig »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:
That doesn't mean that we shouldn't speculate (in fact we should - simply because it's stimulating and fun).
~Josh

Just keep the hands on the key board Josh, actually for my own sake I'll just assume that you' mean mentally stimulating. :P
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

How?
Noisily and with gusto!
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Return to “G.M.s Forum”