Weapon Damage

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Talavar
Hero

Weapon Damage

Unread post by Talavar »

How much damage would you rate the .50 Desert Eagle pistol as doing? A player of mine wants to acquire one, and I can't find stats for such a thing in my old copy of the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.
A relatively recent Rifts book, Merc Ops, lists a .44 Magnum doing 6d6 SDC, so I'd guess a larger pistol would do some more damage, but I'm just looking for others thoughts. Also, what's the range on one of these, and the ammo capacity?

I don't want to start a debate on the real-world usefulness of these monstrously large handguns; I know they're actually fairly uncommon.
asajosh
Hero

Re: Weapon Damage

Unread post by asajosh »

Talavar wrote:How much damage would you rate the .50 Desert Eagle pistol as doing? A player of mine wants to acquire one, and I can't find stats for such a thing in my old copy of the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.
A relatively recent Rifts book, Merc Ops, lists a .44 Magnum doing 6d6 SDC, so I'd guess a larger pistol would do some more damage, but I'm just looking for others thoughts. Also, what's the range on one of these, and the ammo capacity?

I don't want to start a debate on the real-world usefulness of these monstrously large handguns; I know they're actually fairly uncommon.

I think this this has been covered (might be in the FAQ). How does 6D6+3 SDC for a standard round sound?
Acording to Wikipedia ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Eagle ) they have a max capacity of 7 rounds in the magazine (and I assume one in the chamber). As for range, not sure, maybe use the same as the .44 listed in Merc Ops.
Last edited by asajosh on Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
JTwig
Adventurer
Comment: Molon Labe

Re: Weapon Damage

Unread post by JTwig »

Talavar wrote:How much damage would you rate the .50 Desert Eagle pistol as doing? A player of mine wants to acquire one, and I can't find stats for such a thing in my old copy of the Compendium of Contemporary Weapons.

According to Palladium it does 6d6, less than a the rifle round which does anywhere from 1d4x10 to 1d6x10 depending on what book you're reading. It explains that it does less because the pistol round is smaller than the rifle round. Don't ask me to say which book I read that in as I can't recall, but I would bet my life on the accuracy (well not really, since that would be an incredibly stupid and insignificant thing to bet something of such importance to me, but you get what I mean).
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Hall Kent wrote:wasn't that in one of the weapon compendiums or something?

No unfortunately. They didn't include it in the compendium.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Where are the nit picky ballistics experts? :)
SkyeFyre
Hero

Unread post by SkyeFyre »

Wow, thanks for the technical response. I found that actually quite educational :D

I've always said that it's done 7D6 in my games. Either that or 1D4x10.
"If your party is doing anything but running like hell trying not to get vaporized, the GM is not running the Mechanoids correctly." -Geronimo 2.0
"Coming Summer 1994... Mechanoid Space!"
75 GM Geek Points
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Now if they could just do something about the ridiculously low damage they've given bows compared to guns...
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Flakbait! I used to chat with you years ago in the PB Chatroom under my old "Redemption" login.

How've things been?
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Qev
Hero

Unread post by Qev »

Flakbait wrote:1) A .44 Mag shoots flatter (less ballistic arc) than a 50 AE. Flatter trajectory means increased accuracy between the muzzle and 50 yards as you can actually put the target in the sights.

How much difference in trajectory can there really be between 1400 and 1440 ft/sec? At 50 yards, that's only a difference in drop of like... much less than a quarter inch.
"Then you can simply spead the ground dried corpse bits amongst the plants as needed." - Sir Ysbadden

"There weren't many nukes launched in the apocalypse, so the nuclear winter wasn't that bad." - Killer Cyborg
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

the stats for the Desert Eagle are in the HU GMG page 210

with a long explanation on the Damage and Cartridge of the gun.
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Qev wrote:
Flakbait wrote:1) A .44 Mag shoots flatter (less ballistic arc) than a 50 AE. Flatter trajectory means increased accuracy between the muzzle and 50 yards as you can actually put the target in the sights.

How much difference in trajectory can there really be between 1400 and 1440 ft/sec? At 50 yards, that's only a difference in drop of like... much less than a quarter inch.

Let's see. The .44 mag would take 0.104666667 seconds to cover that distance. The .50 would take 0.107142857 seconds.

So in that distance the .44 will have dropped by about 5.3 centimetres (assuming you fired it horizontally), and the slightly slower .50 will have dropped about 5.6 centimetres. So the "flatter trajectory" is a difference of 3mm over about 45m. Drag probably plays a humungous role in bullet trajectories of course (an exit velocity of several hundred metres of a second means you're gonna see some serious deceleration due to wind resistance), so they'll probably take longer to cover the distance, which means they'll both drop more. But the difference in drop between the two is still gonna be negligable since there's only about a 1% difference in starting velocity between the two.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Flakbait wrote:Nit-picky ballistics expert reporting for duty, SAHR! :D
Well done. Thanks. :ok:
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

Misfit KotLD wrote:
GreenGhost wrote:Flakbait! I used to chat with you years ago in the PB Chatroom under my old "Redemption" login.

How've things been?

Old... How appropriate. :D

Back on topic, I'd have the Desert Eagle doing 1d6 more than the .44.

Funny, "Old Friend of Mine," all I heard was :badbad: blah-blah-blah... :lol:
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321

Return to “G.M.s Forum”