opposing PS stat checks

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

opposing PS stat checks

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

the Stat check thread got me thinking about this issue once again...
for opposing PS stat checks (such as an arm wrestling match) I use D20 + the PS stat highest score wins...
the only place I find difficulty with this is with the 4 tier Strength system(normal human, augmented or extraordinary, Robotic or super human, and supernatural)...
I have a few ideas on how to resolve this but none I am pleased with...
how does every one else handle this aspect?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

EPIC wrote:as in the other thread ... i use the roll d20 and try to get under 1/2 the attribute in question method.

in the case of the varrying tiers of strength ... normal strength is just a standard roll, augmented strength adds +1 to the value you need to roll under, robotic adds +2 and +3 for supernatural strength.
um...
that sounds good at first until you step back and look at the fact that it is then possible for a norm (10/20 carry/lift on avergae) to best a Super nat (50/100 or 300/500 - system dependant)
some how that just does not "feel" right to me...
I think perhaps it should be based more off the diference between the "tier" levels, the greater the difference in tiers the better the situationl modifier for the stronger character...
does that make sense to any one besides me? or am I just off my nut on this one?
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

I hate palladium strength. palladium is like a munchkin game that hates munchkins gaems. Of coiurse you can play low powered characters and settings, but when you have a "weak laser pistol" Looking at you wilks, and it can blow up a howitzer in a blast (or 4 if you want to get real) ya kinda have to own up.

Well what the hell does that mean,..

What I mean is that they give you damages and bonuses for PS but to keep it looking non munchkin they give it fancy titles like SN or Robotic etc. when it should just be doubled when it has a SN designation. But Killwatch, that would mean many NPCs and characters would function at strengths at 100+. Don't look at me, The elephant was in the room when I got here, I just served it potato salad

Anyone remember that little blurb in HU Revised? About What? No Mega Heros? yeah that kind of thing

Someone who can lift 30 tons more than you should not be only 3 points stronger, where you have even a chance to defend against a blow other than dodging
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: opposing PS stat checks

Unread post by The Beast »

Damian Magecraft wrote:the Stat check thread got me thinking about this issue once again...
for opposing PS stat checks (such as an arm wrestling match) I use D20 + the PS stat highest score wins...
the only place I find difficulty with this is with the 4 tier Strength system(normal human, augmented or extraordinary, Robotic or super human, and supernatural)...
I have a few ideas on how to resolve this but none I am pleased with...
how does every one else handle this aspect?

Why not just convert everything to regular PS when the checks are needed?
KillWatch
Champion

do you mean SN 15=PS15?
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
The Beast

KillWatch wrote:do you mean SN 15=PS15?

No, I mean take the amount of weight you can lift with SN15 and figure out how much regular PS you need to lift the same amount.
KillWatch
Champion

Ah ok that's all good then
The Beast

Why do people feel the need to have dice rolled when arm wrestling anyway? Wouldn't both contestants be doing their best to beat the other guy? I could see the need to roll if both are within a few points of each other, but outside of that...
KillWatch
Champion

See I was going to go through my book tonight and figure that out and WOW that is surprising and funny. 255 Dmg Bns+240. Now THAT is comic book/god worthy

Return to “G.M.s Forum”