Healing powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Healing powers

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Why are the healing powers so limited in heros
now Im not talking about regeneration im talking about the
ability to heal others

we have three super powers that do this and all of them are limited
I want my healers to have the ability to cure any diease, to nullify
toxins, to help other people regrow limbs, In other words I want
to be able to create a rocking support charater who is valuble because
he keeps every one else alive. The current healing powers are too
limited for my tastes.
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

uh..modify them. :lol:

Mix some psionics with them, that should help out with some of the stuff. wish i had my books in front of me.
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

The related abilities I could find are:
Healing Power (PU 1)
Divine Healing (PU 1)
Power Touch (PU 1) healing and destruction
Flesh Works (PU 3)

Also related:
Grant Powers (PU 3) - use in conjunction with Regenerative type abilities on normals
Psionics - Wound Transfer (PU 1)
Living Anatomy (PU 1) - adds to first aid/medical skills (mundane healing)
Healing psionics (HU 2)
HU2 fan.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

I'm more annoyed with the natural ability to heal. You got a 200
SDC base and after a hard fought battle with the local super
villian your down to 25 SDC. So you go to the hospital for some healing
and you have to stay there for 29 days as you heal 6 S.D.C. a day. So
that's what $500-$3000 a day? So you decided instead to go home and
heal (have you girlfriend do your bandages and make you some soup)
this requires to stay home 43 days as you heal 4 SDC a day. How does
Parker do it?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Reagren Wright wrote:I'm more annoyed with the natural ability to heal. You got a 200
Parker do it?

I've always figured he had Healing Factor.

I'd suspect most do.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
leonmallett
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by leonmallett »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:I'm more annoyed with the natural ability to heal. You got a 200
Parker do it?

I've always figured he had Healing Factor.

I'd suspect most do.

I think this is pretty confirmed and has ben for some time, although not on Wolverine level of course, so Healing Factor sounds right.
HU2 fan.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Not quite true, though close enough.

Spidey's endurance is far and away in excess of human norms, and that contributes to his rapid healing rates. No healing factor per se, he's just more healthy than most in all senses of the word.

If you have a problem with the healing rates, might i suggest taking a step back to old TMNT and Robotech rules, where you healed 5 SDC per hour of rest and meditation (seems much more superheroy to bounce back after a few days of rest)

Or, I like to make it 2 per hour of rest, plus a bonus based on your PE score (use the bonus to save vs poison as a guide)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Iczer wrote:Not quite true, though close enough.

Spidey's endurance is far and away in excess of human norms, and that contributes to his rapid healing rates. No healing factor per se, he's just more healthy than most in all senses of the word.

If you have a problem with the healing rates, might i suggest taking a step back to old TMNT and Robotech rules, where you healed 5 SDC per hour of rest and meditation (seems much more superheroy to bounce back after a few days of rest)

Or, I like to make it 2 per hour of rest, plus a bonus based on your PE score (use the bonus to save vs poison as a guide)

Batts

its like certain RCCs, "heals (_)x faster than normal humans"
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Re: Healing powers

Prince Cherico wrote:Why are the healing powers so limited in heros
now Im not talking about regeneration im talking about the
ability to heal others

we have three super powers that do this and all of them are limited
I want my healers to have the ability to cure any diease, to nullify
toxins
, to help other people regrow limbs, In other words I want
to be able to create a rocking support charater who is valuble because
he keeps every one else alive. The current healing powers are too
limited for my tastes.

the healing minor power out of PU2 negates poisons, drug, and toxins.
but i don't like the negative effects it has on the healer. yikes!
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

Heros like frank castle don't have a healing factor they just take the hit suck it up and keep on going. Detective chimp spent a good long time in hospital after getting his A-- handed to him by a demon.

Armour helps cut down on some damage, but if you've taken over 75% of your SDC in damage maybe you should stay in the hospital for a few days.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Whiz Kid wrote:Spider-Man gets hurt, goes home, turns on the news, sees some villain, and turns right around to go fight it. I have literally dozens of comics where he even mentions still being battered from his last fight.

I remember one where his injured arm was in a sling -- and his biggest concern wasn't how he was going to beat the crap out of the Vulture despite having his arm in a sling, but how he was going to beat the crap out of the Vulture without everyone at the Daily Bugle noticing that Spider-Man's arm was in a sling just like Peter Parker's. (He wound up keeping it webbed in place against his chest, moving around so fast that nobody much noticed he was only using his good arm.)

Coming back around, the NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES book obviously provides a lot of "heal yourself or another" options for superheroes who need a little more of that sort of thing than the HU powers can supply.
LostOne
Champion

Unread post by LostOne »

A couple ideas I've been considering for my game:
Heroes with enhanced SDC heal an additional 5% of their total SDC per day. Meaning that heroes with hundreds or thousands of SDC will be up and at them around the same time as everyone else. Their bodies are simply more dense, but should repair at the same rate as everyone else, IMO.

A custom major power: Martyr Healing
The hero is able to transfer the damage of others to himself through touch, at the rate of 10 SDC or hit points per round. As slashes and cuts heal on their target, the same slashes and cuts appear on the Martyr's own body. Best taken if the character has tons of SDC and/or some kind of accelerated healing like Super Regeneration.

They can't heal others fast enough to get them back in the fight, just enough to keep them alive if they're dying. Can bring them up to full health before the next fight in most cases, if there is time.
"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Parker do it?

He uses a nonPalladium RPG system.
:)
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Take healing factor, Zombie Flesh, and grant power.
SInce you can gratn other people powers you already have, just do that.
It healing factor make syou immuento disease, so that cures their illness, and ZF takes care of the rest.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
shiiv-a
Adventurer
Comment: I see people as people first, anything else is secondary

Unread post by shiiv-a »

LostOne wrote:
A couple ideas I've been considering for my game:
Heroes with enhanced SDC heal an additional 5% of their total SDC per day.

A custom major power: Martyr Healing
The hero is able to transfer the damage of others to himself through touch, at the rate of 10 SDC or hit points per round. As slashes and cuts heal on their target, the same slashes and cuts appear on the Martyr's own body. Best taken if the character has tons of SDC and/or some kind of accelerated healing like Super Regeneration.

i for one like these ideas. they seem valid, and plausible as well.

i even can across a 'healer occ' once and swiped it. can't recall where it was from or who made it. aside from the fact it was Rifts in origin, it seems to be a 'valid' class for any system.

the power levels are a tad off for anything NOT Rifts based, but it is usable. let me know if you wanna see it, will have do dig through my e-mails to find it.
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

i even can across a 'healer occ' once and swiped it. can't recall where it was from or who made it. aside from the fact it was Rifts in origin, it seems to be a 'valid' class for any system.

It wasn't from Rifts, it was from the Palladium Fantasy setting, 1st Edition.
They replaced it with a "psi healer" when it went to second edition.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

then someone else made one. i still have the template for it.

if anyone's interested ... oh wait ... i can't recall where i got it from ... but it IS for Rifts .. i'm seeing if it works for HU now ... just difficult, as there aren't many games for her to get involved in.

or perhaps i should be blunter. not many GM's for HU that i would deem worthy for me to join again ... *shrugs* .. that too may change one day, but so far, i think i'm down to one actual good GM
Creator of the Chi grenade. Used in game by Kevarin [GM] and self as Mai - Civilian Martial artist that got amped via experiment. Ghost weapons and shirts rule.

Nano Missiles - used once and GM banned further use. They weren't THAT bad. and did stop a demon scout ship from returning with valuable info.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

LostOne wrote:Heroes with enhanced SDC heal an additional 5% of their total SDC per day. Meaning that heroes with hundreds or thousands of SDC will be up and at them around the same time as everyone else. Their bodies are simply more dense, but should repair at the same rate as everyone else, IMO.

I have to admit I seriously like that idea.

LostOne wrote:A custom major power: Martyr Healing

Well divine healing you can heal others at 4d6 per . . . something, I'd probably say per action . . . while taking 4d6 himself. Plus they get a pretty decent regeneration rate of their own (expecially the trance option)

And personally I think all super heroes, even the normal mortals (expecially the normal mortals), have a healing factor . . . I mean if you take a look at our proffesional athletes with millions of dollars of constant medical care it only takes one serious injury to put them out of the game perminetly . . . comic book characters get beat to within an inch of their lives on a regular basis.
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

probably, but its more like a will to live for a bit of payback.

give them the ability to heal twice as fast.

oh well. just too tired to think clearly here. weather kept me awake until about 4 in the morning

kamikazzijoe
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by kamikazzijoe »

I think the limits on healing others is intentionally limited to avoid the cleric effect of DnD. This way you have to pay more attention to the damage you take so you can stay out of the hospital or tomb. But if you really want to put some one back together you'll need psionics. Surgery, healing touch, or the big one touch of life from the neo-humans of south America in rifts.
Dr. Doom v.3.0 wrote:
You should change your title to Necromancer.

Go forth my minions! Kill! Maim! Destroy!
shiiv-a
Adventurer

Unread post by shiiv-a »

never thought about stuff from Rifts for possibilities for Monique's skills ... will have to take a look at the book now ...

*wonders where it went tho .... and scratches head*

dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

I use the damage by location from the compendium of contemporary weapons and have the standard healing rate apply to each location so recovering 2 Hp and/or 4 SDC per location is really good but at the same time can make characters with healing super powers ungodly strong and hard to kill, giving most characters the ability the throw down with bad guy’s night after night. The damage does not seem as bad when spread over 3 or 4 locations, but like real life one two many blows to the head can cause problems, also it makes combat more challenging the hero decides to go after a limb or two so the villain can be brought in and of course over the sessions and adventures the villain learns that
Hero X has a bad leg because her broke 10 or 12 times know.

This my help you out
Dragon_blaze
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I think kamikazzijoe had the right idea. They want you to appreciate your characters mortality a bit. For those of us lucky enough to be blessed with craploads of SDC we try to do more with what we have.
The limited amount of super-power healing makes everybody remember they are not invincible and one or two careless missions can spell doom.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”