Doppelganger question

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

There would still probably be some slight personality quirks they could catch (especially if a different alignment), Dopplegangers heal slightly faster than humans, and they have supernatural strength.

Also, I would say that they have a different (even if only slightly so) aura than humans since they are somewhat of a supernatural creature.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

it's impossible to prove by any normal means.

The only surefire way is psionical or magical proof.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

some dopplegangers gain psionic powers upon awakening
they heal A LOT faster
they don't need to eat or drink
may or may not have all the same skills
may or may not have the same alignment
would be A LOT stronger then a normal human

these are some not magical/psionic ways to tell if your dealing with a doppleganger, but if you have a psionic in the party see aura might do the trick or depending sence evil
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

See Aura, See Truth and other means of sensing SN beings.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Oh and anything that lets you read minds is good too. Doppelgangers may have the same skills and (often) similar personalities, but a lifetime as an unthinking slave in the Nightlands means they'll have radically different memories.
lather
Champion

Unread post by lather »

Rallan wrote:Oh and anything that lets you read minds is good too.

Know where I can get a few of those and a few more just in case the first 10 happen to fail.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Rallan wrote:Oh and anything that lets you read minds is good too. Doppelgangers may have the same skills and (often) similar personalities, but a lifetime as an unthinking slave in the Nightlands means they'll have radically different memories.

Actually, the book states that when they awaken they have all the memories of their Earth-born counterpart. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I have another Doppelganger question. Since they are mystical reflections of another person, are they the same handed as their counterparts? If the original is right-handed, are their Doppelgangers right-handed or left-handed?
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Warwolf wrote:
Rallan wrote:Oh and anything that lets you read minds is good too. Doppelgangers may have the same skills and (often) similar personalities, but a lifetime as an unthinking slave in the Nightlands means they'll have radically different memories.

Actually, the book states that when they awaken they have all the memories of their Earth-born counterpart. :)

It'd still work though, since they have memories that their Earth-born counterpart doesn't have. They're going to remember the awakening itself, and being told by the baddies what they have to do, and being sent across the mirrorwall, and deliberately trying to pass themself off as the real McCoy when they know they're just an imposter. They know that they're not the same person as their Earth counterpart, and they remember living a lie.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Warwolf wrote:

Actully it says that they have most of the memories of the porgenitor, with them thinking they are that person.

Awaking is just when they know that they are not their progenitor.

Where does it stat that They have SNPS? it hints that they have it in their discriptive section in the main book, but does not come out and state it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

Actully it says that they have most of the memories of the porgenitor, with them thinking they are that person.

Yes, and every single Doppelganger that isn't shuffling mindlessly around some Nightlord citystate has awakened. The moment they're pushed through the mirrorwall they're conscious, self-aware beings who instinctively know that they need to kill their original if they want to survive, and almost all of them who wind up in this predicament have it done on purpose by minions of the Nightlords who also make sure they know that they have to succesfully imitate the individual and await further instructions if they don't want to be killed for disobeying orders. Pretty much the only ones who don't take this path are the ones who awaken because of immense trauma/pain/shock in the Nightlands, and obviously the fact that they remember waking up in a place that clearly isn't Earth is going to be a bit of a dead giveaway.

Let's face it, the only Doppelgangers whose memories won't give away their true nature are the ones who aren't awake yet and aren't trying to imitate anyone anyway.
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

Rallan wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Warwolf wrote:

Yes, and every single Doppelganger that isn't shuffling mindlessly around some Nightlord citystate has awakened. The moment they're pushed through the mirrorwall they're conscious, self-aware beings who instinctively know that they need to kill their original if they want to survive, and almost all of them who wind up in this predicament have it done on purpose by minions of the Nightlords who also make sure they know that they have to succesfully imitate the individual and await further instructions if they don't want to be killed for disobeying orders. Pretty much the only ones who don't take this path are the ones who awaken because of immense trauma/pain/shock in the Nightlands, and obviously the fact that they remember waking up in a place that clearly isn't Earth is going to be a bit of a dead giveaway.

Let's face it, the only Doppelgangers whose memories won't give away their true nature are the ones who aren't awake yet and aren't trying to imitate anyone anyway.

Keep in mind that telepathy reads SURFACE THOUGHTS. Only a Mind Bond would be sufficient to reveal the memories of the Nightlands unless they were tricked into thinking about it right as someone was scanning them with telepathy.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

Warwolf wrote:Keep in mind that telepathy reads SURFACE THOUGHTS. Only a Mind Bond would be sufficient to reveal the memories of the Nightlands unless they were tricked into thinking about it right as someone was scanning them with telepathy.
Tricked? You mean by saying: "So, where were you last week?" Besides, what else are they going to be thinking about? TV shows? Romantic relationships? Not bloomin' likely.

What's up with people not understanding how telepathy works, recently?
Warwolf

Unread post by Warwolf »

acreRake wrote:
Warwolf wrote:Keep in mind that telepathy reads SURFACE THOUGHTS. Only a Mind Bond would be sufficient to reveal the memories of the Nightlands unless they were tricked into thinking about it right as someone was scanning them with telepathy.
Tricked? You mean by saying: "So, where were you last week?" Besides, what else are they going to be thinking about? TV shows? Romantic relationships? Not bloomin' likely.

What's up with people not understanding how telepathy works, recently?

I'm pretty friggin' sure I know the rules well enough. :) Or perhaps there is some secret "telepathy handbook that only YOU have been made privy to? :roll: Maybe it is you who simply don't understand what SURFACE THOUGHTS are (i.e. what they are thinking about at that exact moment... which would be more likely to be what is going on around them rather than dwelling on where they came from).

And I used the term "tricked" because asking such straight questions would be a dead giveaway that you were on to the Doppleganger. Interrogation while maintaining a level of casualness and plausible deniability is a tricky thing that requires subtlety and finesse.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

WHO TOLD YOU ABOUT THE HANDBOOK?!?

/agree to disagree : )

Return to “Nightbane®”