Invented Spells

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Invented Spells

Unread post by taalismn »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Carpet of Pwnage.
Level 13
Range: 20'
Duration: 5 min.per level
Saving Throw: Standard
PPE: 70
This spell causes all the stuff with-in range of the caster to appear desierable and owned by the mage. If a passerbyer fails his/her saving throw is drawn to something near the mage and makes the mage an off on the item. If the deals go down quikly an unscupulus mage could sell out a vender's stall while the vendor makes a restroom break.

Thanks to Evil Psychologist for sparking the idea.

Hmmm....need more larceny-based spells, then...like Magic Forgery(Second-Removed Ghost-Writer Pen), Teleport Pickpocket(Russem's Pocket-Emptier), Sticky Fingers(Gilber's Palm of Adhesion), perhaps?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Copy writing
Level 4
Range: self
duration: 5 min
Saving throw: none (standard for magical documents)
PPE: 10
This spell allows the mage to copy the 'style' and 'hand' of any document the mage has in his presence, Line of sight. This allows the mage to make perfect copy of a person's handwriting, in any language the mage is literate in. This includes the person's signature, even if the document does not have one on it. This spell also lets the mage create a document done with a type-set so long as he has an example of that type-set. If the mage is just copying what is on the document he is using as a key, he can copy it with out error. If the documents being used as the key are protected from copying or otherwise magically sealed, they get a save vs magic 12, no bonuses on ether side. The mage's normal writing speed will determine how long it takes to write something out.

What this spell does not do: does not age the new document nor the ink used in making the new document.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:44 am, edited 3 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

Can you define "document"? A page? Scroll? Book?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Scroll, Page in a book, wall, skin....

Just about anything with writing on it. That is why I used the word document. The mage will still have to make up what to write, it just give him the ability to write with the same mannerisms, their 'hand', that the writer of the document did.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

T-port: Pick pocket
Level: 6 (Level 4 as Trickster or Ludicrous Magic)
Range: from: 1" per level, to: 100'
duration: 1 min delay per level
Saving Throw: none, Standard +2 if magicly protected
P.P.E.: 10

This varient of the T-port:lesser spell was developed by a couple mages with in the Cair Ithomes' theives guild. These mages, Gairamoth and Wensdale, worked the rich sectors of the Cair. They needed a spell that let them pick the pouches of the wealthy with out having any betraying stolen items ending up on them, but with having to touch the items. The spell they finally ended up making let them get close to the object to be t-ported and had a delay set into the spell so they could make their getaway before the spell went off. The down side is its feable range it could send stuff. Success Ratio: 88%+1% per level. As with T-port lesser, an unsussessful roll means the object does not go where the mage intnded, and could appear in any void, never inside a solid object, with in the mage's range.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
GhostKnight
Adventurer

Unread post by GhostKnight »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Scroll, Page in a book, wall, skin....

Just about anything with writing on it. That is why I used the word document. The mage will still have to make up what to write, it just give him the ability to write with the same mannerisms, their 'hand', that the writer of the document did.

So I can copy a 50,000 gp history book in 5 minutes for 10 ppe?
Recovery? Only for the rich and 20 counties.
Anti-Nuclear = Anti-Salmon
PC = Patronizing Cretin
The World Clock
Real Economic Statistics
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Does it say anything about writing speed? no, only how long it lasts.

The spell lets the mage write something new that looked like it was written by the same person who wrote the document.
The secondary effect is letting the mage to make a perfect copy of the document. With the limitation of the mage's hand writing speed.

Edit note: has added to the spell to cover the writing speed questions.
taalismn
Priest

Thanks...both spells look very good..
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

Summon Golems (Ritual)
Level: 9th
Range: Any distance on the same planet.
Duration: Takes 6D6 minutes to complete the ritual. The ritual may be rushed taking only 1D4+2 melees to complete if the caster permanently sacrifices 1D6+4 P.P.E.
Saving Throw: not applicable.
P.P.E.: 80 +20 per each additional golem after the first.
Summon all golems the caster has personally created. The ritual has a rate of susses of 40% (20% if rushed) +5% per level of experience. Roll for each golem summoned.

Summon Undead Minions (Ritual)
Level: 10th
Duration: Takes 6D6 minutes to complete the ritual. The ritual may be rushed taking only 1D4+2 melees to complete if the caster permanently sacrifices 1D6+4 P.P.E.
Saving Throw: not applicable accept to intelligent undead not wishing be summoned at this time (-8 to saves vs ritual magic).
P.P.E.: 50 +10 per each additional undead after the first.
Summon all undead (zombies, animated dead and other undead such as vampires) the caster has personally created or has control over. The ritual has a rate of susses of 40% (20% if rushed) +5% per level of experience. Roll for each undead summoned.

Summon Minions (Ritual)
Level: 11th
Duration: Takes 6D6+6 minutes to complete the ritual. The ritual may be rushed taking only 1D4+3 melees to complete if the caster permanently sacrifices 1D6+4 P.P.E.
Saving Throw: not applicable unless the minion wishes not to be summoned at this time (-4 to save vs ritual).
P.P.E.: 80 +20 per each additional minion after the first.
Summon all supernatural minions or creatures of magic the caster has pact, bond or control over. The ritual has a rate of susses of 50% (30% if rushed) +5% per level of experience (+20% for a demon familiar or magical familiar). Roll for each minion summoned. This ritual can not be used to summon golems or undead.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

I wanted them as an instant, but my GM would only allow them unless they were as a ritual or rushed version because our shifter has seven Iron golems and 2 greater demon minions. The summon ally spell was expensive and it a ritual to. Maybe this would work better for a true Summoner as an O.C.C. ability.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Thinking of how hard it is to get spells to work on people with really high saving bonuses, our GM made it into a Sorcerous Proficiency called Incantation reinforcement using Through the Glass Darkly as a guide. It can really making playing a mage more fun, it actually give him a better chance for his spells take effect. This proficiency could work great in any of Palladium game lines well.

Incantation reinforcement: The character is able to channel extra P.P.E. into his non-ritual spells producing the added effect of the target of his incantations needs to roll a second saving throw if the target successively saves on the first one. The sorcerer needs to pay one extra P.P.E. per level of the spell and can only use Incantation Reinforcement only once per every two level of experience per day. Taking this proficiency means taking on two Sorcerous limitations or weaknesses.
Last edited by runebeo on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

That would work too, but spell strength is max-out at 16. I wished it could get raised up to 20, but can't see that happening. I like the burnout Idea since the extra P.P.E. spent to reinforce them can really drain a sorcerer quick. I loved paying a Shifter, but even with the +4 to spell strength I still had trouble getting my spells to taKe effect when I really needed them too. Maybe more spell that reduces people bonuses could really come in handy with or coarse no saving throws for theses spells.

Mark of Arcane Weakness
Level 5
Range: 30 ft per level of experience
duration: 4 melees rounds per level
Saving throw: none
PPE: 25

The target is marked glowing red rune on his forehead and his bonuses to save vs all magic is reduced by half for the duration of the spell. Duration is only 1 melee round when cast on creatures of magic or supernatural beings such as angels, demons, Nightbanes and gods
Last edited by runebeo on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
runebeo
Champion

Unread post by runebeo »

Ya a -3 to save would work OK. Maybe also have a limited area effect spell that can give the mark to people that enter the area. I love magic, but I would like to see more spells that get around incredibly high resistances to magic and the same for psionics. Magic & psionics could uses some sprucing up to make it a little bit more reliable compared to technology.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The basic assumption for the suggested modifications is that the spells are not specialty spells like mirror magic or flesh sculpture spells. Removing any munchkiny low costs/levels, thus bringing them closer in line with similar spells.

Level One
Hephaestus’ Hands Aflame (Adjust damage to just SD or move level to 5th level and adjust PPE cost up appropriately.)
Level Two
Apollo’s Arrows of Light (Limit the damage to effecting only undead or move to Level 4, adjusting the PPE cost upward relative to the increase in level.)
Level Three

Level Four
Detect Undead (needs PPE cost adjusted to reflect it's level change)

Level Five
Hecate’s Dreams of Magic ( text change "The the spell lasts till all the base PPE is recovered, the mage sleeps normally till wakened. but if attacked or otherwise woken up before the duration ends the mage would only gain the PPE for the spell for the time they were asleep undisturbed. This spell does not work while the targeted mage is awake, so no mage can not cast it on themselves.")
Cerberus’ Acid Breath (needs PPE cost adjusted to reflect it's level change)
Level Six
Hephaetus’ Curse of Vomit Flames (the description needs changing to indicate the target is vomiting the flame, not that the flame is just coming up out of their mouths. (i.e.: like projectile vomiting rather then just excessive drooling). Thus, giving them a chance of not getting the fire on themselves, like with vomiting. I would also have the spell have a 1-4 APM delayed reaction so it acts like regular vomiting.)
Level Seven
Kraken’s Grasping Tentacles (needs a PPE cost boost)
Cronus’ Touch of life stealing (needs PPE cost adjusted to reflect it's level change, Saving throw change: standard+2)
Level Eight
Apollp’s Nova of the Sun Star (needs a description change for the 1st paragraph, and a Text change: "However, this spell does no damage to those not vulnerable to sunlight.")
Level Nine
Slap of the Hundred-Handed (the PPE cost be too low)
Level Ten
Hade’s Imprisonment of Solidified Air (duration should be in the 10's of minutes, there should be a PS level which can break free.)
Level Eleven
Narcissus’ Curse of Mirror Worship (text change: "...hunt relentlessly for anything that casts a reflection (i.e.: still water, polished metal, pane glass, etc...) and do anything to continue looking at themselves in that item.")
Level Twelve
Hecate’s Disintegrate Flesh (description change, does it destroy living or (un)dead flesh?)
Level Thirteen
Athena’s Aura of Protection (1st sentence needs editing. changing to ether "...lives up to it's name, it creates an..." or "...lives up to it's name creating an...")
Aphrodite’s Sweetest Kiss
Level Fourteen
Hecate’s Spell Permanency (no perm loss of PE or PPE?)
Level Fifteen
Dionysus’ Twin (looks like a slightly modified Doppleganger spell)
taalismn
Priest

Good collection of spells there...excellent work...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

nice material. I really made a mistake of checking this thread less often then I should have. I'm making it a point to looking here more often.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Some new Ludicrous Magic...

Vanish
This spell allows the mage to render small objects(coins, keys, documents) temporarily invisible with a touch or pass of the hand. The mage, and anybody able to see magic, can still see the objects, but to everybody else, the objects are completely invisible(can still be felt, if anybody runs their hands through the area where the objects are). The effects last until the spell duration runs out, or the mage cancels them.
Level: 2
Type: SPELL/ Invocation
Range: Touch or six inches
Effects: Renders up to a pound(1 lb.) of material, plus 1 pound per level of experience, completely invisible
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: None
PPE Cost: 4

Magic Gap
This creates a set of magical ports on either side of an object(solid object like a door or a hollow object like a box) through which another solid object(like a saw or even a hand) can be passed without damaging either object, or their contents...effectively a short range dimensional ‘bypass’. The range in this case represents the thickness of the object that the ports can traverse. Example: The classic ‘sawing a woman in half’; by casting this spell on the box, the mage can insert a saw or sword in one side of the box...and out the other...without affecting anything inside the box. The mage can also put his hand through somebody’s chest, and out their back, without harming the person.
Note: MDC materials and magically enhanced/protected materials CANNOT be bypassed by this spell.
Level: 5
Range: 2 ft + 1 ft per level of experience
Effects: Creates a temporary dimensional ‘bypass’ allowing objects to pass through each other without harm.
Duration: 1 melee per level of experience
PPE Cost: 15

Emperor’s New Clothes
This spell causes the victim’s clothing/armor to turn completely invisible; down to their underwear(or INCLUDING their underwear, if so desired). The target can still feel the weight and texture of their clothing/gear, and still benefit from all protective values/qualities of their clothing; it’s just that it is now completely invisible.
The saving throw is for the victim; if the victim fails, they are unaware that to everybody else, they appear naked. A successful save means the victim now sees that his coverings have become completely transparent.
Note: Does NOT work on magically enhanced garments, magical armor, or power armor.
Level: 5
Range: Touch or 10 ft +2 ft per level of experience
Effects: Renders clothing completely invisible
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: Standard for the victim to perceive the transparent state of their clothing
PPE Cost: 18

Create Carnie: Beautiful Assistant
What stage magician is complete without a beautiful assistant or two to be locked in the Box of Disassembly, hand the mage props, work the crowd, and distract audience attention at the right moment?
Attributes: M.A. 20, P.B. 25, all others average
SDC: 30+1d6(or MDC: 20+1d6)
Size: Humanoid, between 5 and 7 feet tall
Appearance: A beautiful/handsome humanoid in tight-fitting/scanty clothing
Abilities and Powers:
*Temporarily Turn Invisible---can turn invisible for 1 minute(+1 per level of experience)
*Grooming, Escape Artist, Pick Locks, Concealment, Palming, and Pick Pockets at 85%
*Contortionist---Double-jointed and VERY flexible; can squeeze into spaces a quarter the size of a normal human being.
Combat: 3 attacks per melee round; punches and kicks do normal human damage
Bonuses: +2 Parry and Dodge
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

New Magic Bolts

I really should make this attempt, because rules as written under RUE, the Battle Magus's sharpshooting ability only works with four spells in the entire game: Lightning Arc, Electric Arc, Throwing Stones, and Fire Globe. Evaluate carefully, please

Greater Orb of Cold

Level 6
Type Spell
Range 100 feet per level
Effects 3d6 MD +2 MD/Level
Duration 1 melee/level
Save Dodge
PPE Cost 25

This spell creates spheres of ice that the caster hurls at targets. The damage is cold damage and grants a +2 bonus to Strike within 100 feet. Each attack counts as a single melee action. These are considered objects until impacting with the target. If the caster has sharpshooting, this may be bounced. This spell is considered a magic bolt.

Acid Spheres

Level 10
Type Spell
Range 100 feet per level
Effects 5d6+3 MD/Level
Duration 1 melee/level
Save Dodge
PPE Cost 50

This spell creates glassy spheres of acid that the caster hurls at targets. Each hit does 5d6+3 MD/Level. The damage is acid damage and grants a +5 bonus to strike within 100 feet. Each attack counts as a single melee action. By pumping another 50 PPE into the spell at the time of casting, the damage continues for 1d4 melees, once at the top of each melee round. Even if the character has sharpshooting, this spell may not be bounced. This spell is considered a magic bolt. In order to stop the continuing damage, the target must spend at least half their melee actions rolling on the ground to stop the acid, washing themselves off, etc. They could also bathe themselves in MD fire, but this carries with it an additional set of problems.

Thoughts?
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

They look pretty well rounded to me. I don't deal much in MD, but they're easily adapted to SDC, so... sure, I'll use 'em. I should really put some of my stuff on here, too. I've got a lot of pretty good spells. Hmmm.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
taalismn
Priest

Northern Ranger wrote:They look pretty well rounded to me. I don't deal much in MD, but they're easily adapted to SDC, so... sure, I'll use 'em. I should really put some of my stuff on here, too. I've got a lot of pretty good spells. Hmmm.

By all means!

Plus the previous post...spheres...hmmmm...getting ideas...
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Balabanto
Champion

My only thought was that for so much PPE, it might be okay to make it a permanent globe the way a fire globe is, and allow it to be bounced.
taalismn
Priest

Balabanto wrote:My only thought was that for so much PPE, it might be okay to make it a permanent globe the way a fire globe is, and allow it to be bounced.

Happy Bouncing Ball of Flaming Death?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Balabanto
Champion

I did not make Fire Globe. They did. This just ups the damage, raises the level and the PPE cost, and changes the damage type. Fire Globe costs 40 and is always permanent. So I figured 50/100 was optimal for a spell that combines the best aspects of it and Lightning Arc.
taalismn
Priest

Can’t Fight Your Way Outa a Paper Bag(4th level)
This spell creates a paper sack that covers the target’s head to the neck. The bag is opaque, obscuring vision, and also muffles the victim’s voice. Being a magical construct, the bag is tougher than it looks, with 1d4 MD+1 per level of experience, so removing it is no easy matter
Level: 4th
Range: Touch or 5 ft per level of experience
Effects: Effectively blinds and muffles the target
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience
PPE Cost: 8

Unravel
The mage can destroy a garment by magically pulling on one thread and causing the entire garment to unravel
Level: 3rd
Effects: Unravels clothing. Does NOT affect leather, magical garments, or MDC materials
Duration: Instant; takes less than 3 seconds for a t-shirt, shorts, or smaller garment to unravel, 10 seconds for a suit jacket or dress pants(dress or equivalent), and 15 seconds(full melee) for heavy clothing like a parka or combat fatigues.
PPE Cost:3

Undo/Unfasten
This spell allows the mage to magically loosen clothing and equipment fasteners and closures.
Effects: Undoes clothing/gear fasteners; snaps, clasps, zippers, velcro pads, hooks, laces, slides, and buckles. Magical clothing, full EBA, and power armor are NOT affected, though non-EBA MDC garments ARE affected
Duration: Instant
PPE Cost: 2 for a single fastener(fly zipper, holster button, etc..) 8 for ALL the fasteners on a person

Sno-Globe
This powerful spell produces a hollow sphere of megadamage ice around the target. The center is open but freezing cold (hovers between 20-30 degrees Fahrenheit), and has snow covering the bottom(may also have cosmetic adornments like a snowman, ‘North Pole’ , or miniature igloo).
Level: 8th
Range: 60 ft
Effects: Creates an icy sphere with about 50 MDC+5 MD per level of experience, and about 5 ft in diameter+2 ft per level of experience
Damage: None, except possible exposure damage
Vigorous activity, such as flailling limbs, or punching the walls, causes the loose snow to fly around, effectively blinding the occupants equivalent to Cloud of Smoke.
Duration: 10 minutes per level of experience
Saving Throw: None; dodge.
PPE Cost: 30
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

taalismn wrote:snip...

Unravel
The mage can destroy a garment by magically pulling on one thread and causing the entire garment to unravel
Effects: Unravels clothing. Does NOT affect leather, magical garments, or MDC materials
Duration: Instant; takes less than 3 seconds for a t-shirt, shorts, or smaller garment to unravel, 10 seconds for a suit jacket or dress pants(dress or equivalent), and 15 seconds(full melee) for heavy clothing like a parka or combat fatigues.
PPE Cost:3

...snip

The limitations I would put on this spell is that it can only effect fabric, i.e. woven matrixes, with magical fabric immune to this spell. Most MDC materials are single unit plates, so most of them are outside the term fabric. But I would include the fabrics used for the "plain clothes armors" of TRIX and the CS as vulnerable to the spell because they are Fabrics. I would also include the Fabric used in the japanese "super spy" PA as vulnerable to the spell. Again because it is fabric and not magical.

As for clothes with TW engrams mounted on them, they would count as magical even if the PPE stores were depleted.

Another, they would only get a save if the were being worn by someone.

As to some of the otherrecent spells, they seam to be translations from a web site I found a few years ago.

the following being my convertion of a spells from there
L5 Dispel Clothes-- 20' (10 ppe) 5 min/L, standard/none if by touch, This spell causes all of the target's clothing and bodily possessions to become invisible, but not the target itself. The target sees his or her clothes as they normally are. Any clothes put on after the spell is cast do not become invisible.
L4 Do or Undo that is the question.--5'/L (15 ppe) instant, none, The caster can magically cause the object of the magic (thread, string, cord, rope, button) to untie/unbutton itself or to tie/button itself up. (e.g. can zip or unzip a dress, or to untie and unlace or lace and tie those shoes, unbutton or button a shirt......)
Balabanto
Champion

Revised Acid Globe

Acid Spheres

Level 10
Type Spell
Range 100 feet per level
Effects 5d6+3 MD/Level
Duration Two Weeks/Level
Save Dodge
PPE Cost 75

This spell creates a sphere of magical glass containing blackish colored acid that the caster hurls at targets. Each hit does 5d6+3 MD/Level. The damage is acid damage and grants a +5 bonus to strike within 100 feet. The damage continues for 1d4 melees, once at the top of each melee round. Even if the character has sharpshooting, this spell may not be bounced. This spell is considered a magic bolt. In order to stop the continuing damage, the target must spend at least half their melee actions rolling on the ground to stop the acid, washing themselves off, etc. They could also bathe themselves in MD fire, but this carries with it an additional set of problems. Each Acid Sphere lasts two weeks per level of the caster.

(This balances the spell against Fire Globe, the higher damage and duration and PPE cost, plus the fact that it's a 10th level spell make it somewhat prohibitive)

AND

Bolts of Annihilation

Level 12
Type: Spell
Effects: 6d6+4 MD/Level
Duration: 1 melee/level
Save: Dodge
PPE Cost: 100

This spell generates bolts of blackish, annihilatory energy similar to that produced by the Annihilate Spell. Each attack counts as a single melee action. Even creatures that are immune to energy, such as the Mystic Knight or Knight of the White Rose are not immune to this damage. All sharpshooting tricks work with this extremely powerful magic bolt. It has physical substance until it reaches the intended target.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:[
Another, they would only get a save if the were being worn by someone.

As to some of the otherrecent spells, they seam to be translations from a web site I found a few years ago.
.)

Okay...I never saw those, and in fact came up with them spur of the moment...so I can only say parallel development...
Likewise, I've only recently come across Kitsune's collection of spells, and he already had something akin to the 'Emperor's New Clothes'....

*Sigh*

Megaverse of Magic, and we keep stumbling over the same ideas... :(
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Khanibal
Hero
Comment: Anything worth killing is worth overkilling.

Unread post by Khanibal »

I've always liked meta-magic. Here are a few spells that should fit in. The first couple seem kind of obvious.

Increase Spell Area
Level: Seven
Range: Self
Duration: Until the next spell is cast, 1 melee/lvl.
P.P.E. 20+ P.P.E. Of the target spell.
This spell allows the caster to double the area affected by the next spell he casts by doubling the amount of P.P.E. He puts into it.

Increase Spell Impact
Duration: Until the next spell is cast, 1 melee/lvl
P.P.E. 20+ P.P.E. Of the target spell
This spell allows the caster to double the damage of the next spell he casts by doubling the amount of P.P.E. He puts into it.

Increase Spell Range
P.P.E. 20+ P.P.E. Of the target spell.
This spell allows the caster to double the range of the next spell he casts by doubling the amount of P.P.E. He puts into it.

And You
Level: 9
Saving Throw: Special (Standard)
P.P.E. 45
This spell allows the caster to cast a spell which normally has a range of self, with a range of touch. The target gets a standard saving throw if he is unaware, and at +3 if he is aware and unwilling.

Again
Level: 11
P.P.E. 120+ 2x P.P.E. Of the target spell.
This spell copies the next spell to be cast, and casts it again immediately after the first spell is finished. For instant spells, the second spell occurs on the next action (the caster casts this spell, then Heal Self [20] for 160 P.P.E. {120 +2x20}at the end of the spell, the caster rolls the appropriate number of dice to determine how much health he recovers, and then, on the next action, he rolls the dice and recovers health again). For longer spells, the second spell takes affect on the next action after the first one ceases (the caster casts this spell, then Invisibility Superior[20] for 160 P.P.E. At the end of the spell's duration, the spell is recast on the next action, leaving the mage visible for one action). If the spell is canceled early the second casting still does not occur until the first duration is run out.

And Him
Saving Throw: Special (Standard)
P.P.E. 100+ P.P.E. Of the target spell
This spell allows the caster to cast a spell with a normal range of self or touch on a target 10' or less away. The target gets a normal saving throw if he is unaware, and at +3 if he is aware and unwilling.

Spelljack
Range: 10'
Duration: 1hr/lvl
Saving Throw: Special
P.P.E. 100+ P.P.E. Of the target spell, circle, ward, et c.
This spell allows the caster to assume control of another's spell, circle, ward, et c. It will even allow the caster to recharge a talisman created by another caster, however, he must cast the talisman spell at the full 500 P.P.E. Cost before he can do so, and then regular recharge rules apply (50 P.P.E. + embedded spell cost per charge, or 60 P.P.E. To recharge with 30 P.P.E.). Spells, circles, items, et c. save as the original caster would have at the time of the casting.

Analyze Spell
Level: 15
Duration: Until triggered, 1 day/lvl
P.P.E. 1000+ enough P.P.E. To equal the target spell.
When first cast the mage must “prime” this spell with P.P.E. When another spell caster casts a spell at the mage, he may choose to trigger this spell's effect and attempt to neutralize and even learn the spell cast at him. The mage must voluntarily fail his saving throw. If he has primed this spell with enough extra P.P.E. To equal the cost of the opposing spell, he may attempt to learn the spell as through spell conversion, with the following modifiers. -/+ 1% to reflect the difference between the mage's level, and the spell's level, Spells of Legend are considered 15th level and have an additional -5% penalty, he cannot learn spells that he would not normally be able to learn due to O.C.C. restrictions. If he is successful, he is unaffected by the spell and learns it. If he is not successful, he takes the full effect from failing his save.

Embed Spell
Duration: Until triggered.
P.P.E.: 600+ P.P.E. Of the embedded spell.
Similar to Talisman and Create Scroll, this spell allows the mage to embed any one spell he knows into an object. The spell must be 11th level or less, and the object must not be larger than 2' in any physical dimension. The object cannot be made from iron or plastic. Like a talisman the spell can be activated by thought, taking one melee action. Like a scroll, once cast the spell is erased and cannot be recharged, although it may be embedded again.
Last edited by Khanibal on Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

-Waco Kid (Blazing Saddles)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Khanibal wrote:snip...
Embed Spell
Duration: Until triggered.
P.P.E.: 600+ P.P.E. Of the embedded spell.
Similar to Talisman and Create Scroll, this spell allows the mage to embed any one spell he knows into an object. The spell must be 11th level or less, and the object must not be larger than 2' in any physical dimension, nor made from iron or plastic. Like a talisman the spell can be activated by thought, taking one melee action. Like a scroll, once cast the spell is erased and cannot be recharged, although it may be embedded again.

only a gramer error, changed or to nor
Khanibal
Hero

Gotta have a "neither" to have a "nor". Otherwise "or" is appropriate.
"Then one day, I was just walking down the street and I heard a voice behind me say, 'Reach for it Mister.', and I spun around and there I was face to face with a six-year-old kid.
Well, I just threw my guns down, walked away. Little bastard shot me in the ass.”

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

what he has is a situation where he left out the neither.

the sentence structure he has is a 'can not' 'this', nor 'that' where the nor is more like a and in saying the 'that' is also a 'can not' so it fits.

besides when you use neither you are implying that you are only making two options forbidden, while if you make it a 'forbidden' 'this' nor 'that', you can continue the list with nor 'that2' nor 'this2'.

ok ok I'm bs-ing but that is how I feel of the flow of the language, even if it technically breaks the rules.
Khanibal
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:what he has is a situation where he left out the neither.

the sentence structure he has is a 'can not' 'this', nor 'that' where the nor is more like a and in saying the 'that' is also a 'can not' so it fits.

besides when you use neither you are implying that you are only making two options forbidden, while if you make it a 'forbidden' 'this' nor 'that', you can continue the list with nor 'that2' nor 'this2'.

ok ok I'm bs-ing but that is how I feel of the flow of the language, even if it technically breaks the rules.

Edited the text to declaw [heh] the debate.
:mrgreen:

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*looks down at my paws to make sure he didn't declaw me*
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:what he has is a situation where he left out the neither.

Nor and Or are equally interchangeable.
the only rule concerning the use of the two words is that Nor must be used with neither.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Damian Magecraft wrote:Nor and Or are equally interchangeable.
the only rule concerning the use of the two words is that Nor must be used with neither.

nope, 'Nor' has to be used as a negative/forbidding.

while 'or' is a choice.

while if you had said "Nor and Or are equally interchangeable in this instance" then you might be correct. Because the writer did not use a 'neither' in the sentence, and the sentence was forbidding.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Nor and Or are equally interchangeable.

nope, 'Nor' has to be used as a negative/forbidding.

while 'or' is a choice.

while if you had said "Nor and Or are equally interchangeable in this instance" then you might be correct. Because the writer did not use a 'neither' in the sentence, and the sentence was forbidding.

my "little red book" (grammar bible) says different (amazing the things we keep after college init?). But yes it is generally accepted that neither and nor are negatives.
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

This spell was created in response to a complaint from a player on "the lack of AOE" spells in palladium. I did/do not see any such "lack" but then that particular player was rather biased against any system he was unable to fully grasp and abuse. (could not get it through his head that he was not in charge of how the world and mechanics worked the GM is.)

Fire Bomb
Level: Six
Range: 120 feet / 20 foot radius (see below)
Duration: instant
Damage: 1D6 per level of caster (see below)
Saving Throw:none except dodge (see below)
PPE: 20

A fire bomb is a variant of the fire ball spell. The caster creates a large (basket ball sized) sphere of fire that hurtles towards the target. Upon impact the sphere rapidly expands fill a spherical volume of roughly 33,000 cubic feet (20 foot radius from impact in all 3 dimensions). The sphere will always attempt to fill the cubic volume while conforming to the shape of its surroundings (meaning be careful using this spell indoors). The fire bomb deals 1D6 points of damage (per level of caster) to everything in the affected area. Anyone in the affected area of the explosion can attempt to dodge ([18+] provided they know the attack is coming) to avoid taking damage.
Khanibal
Hero

Damian Magecraft wrote:Fire Bomb

Uh, greater range, more damage, and an area of effect should change the level of the spell right? Since Fire Ball is a 6th level spell and spell modifican requires one level for each factor increased [IIRC], I believe this spell should be more along the lines of 9th level with a P.P.E. cost around 40-70 (I'd put it about 50 a la Desicate the Supernatural).

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Khanibal wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:Fire Bomb

Uh, greater range, more damage, and an area of effect should change the level of the spell right? Since Fire Ball is a 6th level spell and spell modifican requires one level for each factor increased [IIRC], I believe this spell should be more along the lines of 9th level with a P.P.E. cost around 40-70 (I'd put it about 50 a la Desicate the Supernatural).

Its only greater damage in rifts... (although I will concede however that damaging multiple targets can be seen as higher damage)
Fireball does 1d6 damage per level in sdc settings.
Even using the guidelines in TtGD the spell only received 2 up grades which means only two 20% increases in the PPE cost. 20% of 10 is 2 multiplied by 2 that is only a 4 PPE increase.Even by your standards it would only receive 3 increases (range +1, damage +1, area of effect +1) for a meager 60% (+6) increase in PPE. I increased the spell cost a full 100% (I stand by that decision). As for the increase in level... If we go with the 3 increase mind set we get it increased to 9th level. The highest level cost of a 6th level spell is 20 the lowest cost of a 9th level spell is 40. The highest level that utilizes a 20 PPE cost is 7th, we could increase the level; however I consider it a niggling matter though as both 6th and 7th level spells require 2 melee actions to cast.
Khanibal
Hero

Okay, I'm not 100% on either the S.D.C. magic or TtGD spell mod rules. I'll need to pick up PFRPG.

Aramanthus
Monk

There have been some very cool spells since I was here last. As I said I have to come here more often.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
Balabanto
Champion

Ludicrous Magic Spell

Storm of Flying Poo

Level: 10
PPE Cost: 100
Range: 100 feet/Level
Duration: 2 Melees/Level
Area of Effect: 25 Foot Radius/Level

This spell creates a colossal cloud of whirling, stinky, unpleasant dung. The dung sticks to everything, and blinds everything in the radius, giving them -10 to strike, parry, and dodge. The Character's Speed is reduced to 1/3, and everyone in the cloud loses 3 melee attack actions per round. The cloud is opaque. Those inside the cloud can't see what goes on outside it. All attempts at Trust/Intimidate and similar persuasive skills are reduced by 75 percent until they clean off after getting out of the cloud! No perception rolls based on smell are possible. The cloud may be set aflame by a hot enough heat source, which doubles the radius, but reduces the penalties by half. Visibility in the giant cloud of dung is a whopping six feet! The type of dung is chosen by the caster at the time of casting, and may not be from a type of creature where the dung has additional side effects.

This Ludicrous Magic Spell was developed in honor of the PPE Cost of Magic Tattoos for True Atlanteans Thread on this very website. It's also printed there, but I thought I'd put it here also.
Aramanthus
Monk

Funny spell. Just needs a fan! For the rotary effects! :D

HH....FIE
taalismn
Priest

Balabanto wrote:Ludicrous Magic Spell

Storm of Flying Poo

Ouch....distracting and diabolically lethal if you bury somebody under enough of this....Ranks up there with the Port-a-Potty-of-Doom :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

gadrin wrote:Hmmm, maybe a new TechMagic Spell... Photographic Memory, possibly with the effects of Holo Memory Projection from HU, with an illusion spell...

hmmm :?:

>

1st edition Beyodn the Supernatural (and, perhaps, some things in the future) had a spell like that. It was 6th level, IIRC, and called Enhanced Memory.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

level 5
False Magic (lesser)
range: 100' per level
duration: 10 min. per level
saving throw: none
PPE: 10
This spell creates 2 active magic sources per level with in the range. Ether where the mage wills them to be or randomly if specific sites are not chosen. To those sensitive to magic, these magic sources look like active magic sites. This spell was created to distract or delay opponents sensitive to magic.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:
gadrin wrote:Hmmm, maybe a new TechMagic Spell... Photographic Memory, possibly with the effects of Holo Memory Projection from HU, with an illusion spell...

>

1st edition Beyodn the Supernatural (and, perhaps, some things in the future) had a spell like that. It was 6th level, IIRC, and called Enhanced Memory.

*sigh* Another MOM sneak peak Mark? Really, have you no shame? :wink:
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

>

*sigh* Another MOM sneak peak Mark? Really, have you no shame? :wink:

This is one anyone can do, if they have the 1st edition BtS: I went through, finding every spell that wasn't in PFRPG, and copied it into MOM.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

That's actually a really good idea. Of course, not all spells in technologically advanced worlds would work in PF. But those that would only need a little adjusting, if any at all. I find myself looking forward to this book (or series of books) more and more.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Aramanthus
Monk

Nice spell. Any new spells? I'm always looking forward to seeing more of them!

HH....FIE

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”