Teleport

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Teleport

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

There has been discussion in recent threads of Dimensional Telports and other variants used, some of which I have posted in the New Powers thread. I am interested in some of the innovative and creative ways people have used this power in the past and any stunts or special maneuvers you would like to share.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I am not sure how Astral Navigation relates to telportation. I have Dgital teleportation and Teleportation based on psychic links in my optional power listings. Are you saying that one might pilot their teleport using astral location markers or something? I know the Nightbane books have the Astral plane accesssible via spells and portals, I just don't know how well the system carries over into Heroes Unlimited.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

Well, use Remote viewing to see a person, the teleport and kill them (great for assassins). Same goes for Dimensional Teleport.
Agent_gir
Explorer

Unread post by Agent_gir »

The Baron vonClogg wrote:
gadrin wrote:Dimensional Teleport to astral plane.

use Astral Navigation to take you to anywhere on the physical world.

Astral Plane has massive time differential than physical world. You could theoretically, heal yourself, regen PPE or study for like 40 hours and only be gone for a melee.

I'd probably allow the teleportation trick, but only because D-Teleport should be a massive PPE expenditure. As for healing.... I wouldn't allow it without making the character quite vulnerable on the astral plane. There would definitely be some random encounters while the character sought refuge.

I might use it to introduce a big new threat for upcoming story arcs, like the Enterprise encountering the Borg for the first time.... Encounter with an extra-dimensional threat, who then follows the character back to the physical plane.

some places in the astral plane are super safe, like if you have a friend/or are in a group that has access to an astral domain.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Agent_gir wrote:
gadrin wrote:Dimensional Teleport to astral plane.

use Astral Navigation to take you to anywhere on the physical world.

Astral Plane has massive time differential than physical world. You could theoretically, heal yourself, regen PPE or study for like 40 hours and only be gone for a melee.

I'd probably allow the teleportation trick, but only because D-Teleport should be a massive PPE expenditure. As for healing.... I wouldn't allow it without making the character quite vulnerable on the astral plane. There would definitely be some random encounters while the character sought refuge.

I might use it to introduce a big new threat for upcoming story arcs, like the Enterprise encountering the Borg for the first time.... Encounter with an extra-dimensional threat, who then follows the character back to the physical plane.

some places in the astral plane are super safe, like if you have a friend/or are in a group that has access to an astral domain.

yes, let's all hold hands and staybtogether as a group. :-P
You are all speaking about portal generation as it is in spells. I imagine doing it as a power, you would have to enter the realm at a location corresponding to where you are and have to navigate there. No going to your Special Place right off the bat. Going new places, especially astrally, is dangerous.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gadrin wrote:

oh, yeah, most GMs worth their salt will only let you be the "one trick pony" for so long, but the original post was for creative ways... so.

of course the NPC is a Titan Ley Line Walker with major psionics; meaning he's a pretty tough customer. He gets Dimensional Teleport for free due to his racial powers in CB1.

I've taken to using a Mirrormage from Nightbane, and the Opening the Mirrorwall spell. He can import the time differential from the Astral into the area of effect of the spell, so that the each melee that passes for the spell, equals about 40 hours or so. He can heal and regen his PPE very quickly (costs 40 PPE) and of course carry out massive research in a few minutes. :D

I use the Nightbane spells as well, with variant magic I created based on it as well. I think you are tending to allow overuse of time suspension and dilation, however.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

No you are not. At any rate, I have posted some variant teleport powers in the New Powers thread for those interested.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gadrin wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:No you are not. At any rate, I have posted some variant teleport powers in the New Powers thread for those interested.

nice Sig Pix BTW. :ok:

Thanks. I found the pic and a friend of mine who does signatures for anime forum set the lettering and changed some of the colors.
Agent_gir
Explorer

since we are discussing info found in nightbane books, has anyone mentioned travelling through the dream stream. you could teleport anwhere in the world, and depending on the GM anywhere in the universe, or even to other dimensions
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Agent_gir wrote:since we are discussing info found in nightbane books, has anyone mentioned travelling through the dream stream. you could teleport anwhere in the world, and depending on the GM anywhere in the universe, or even to other dimensions

I have used that in my game to simulate the Dreaming found in Vertigo comics, but I don't want to go into too much detail, what with the no conversion policy and all.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Well, fun as this all is, can you start your own thread and let this one be about teleports instead of dimensional magic?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Yes per the OP request, please return this thread to topic at hand. Teleporting via the super power if I read this correctly.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Yes, that was the intended topic given that I was working up variants in the New Powers thread and looking for interesting stunts and uses of the power. It just derailed from the beginning and it has been difficult getting back on topic.
MrTwist
Hero

Re: Teleport

Unread post by MrTwist »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:There has been discussion in recent threads of Dimensional Telports and other variants used, some of which I have posted in the New Powers thread. I am interested in some of the innovative and creative ways people have used this power in the past and any stunts or special maneuvers you would like to share.

Well I don't know about dimensional teleport, but I don't like the way Teleport is presented in HU2. I modify it so it's range is 2 miles + 1 mile per level of experience. So at level one it's 3 miles, level two it's 4 miles, etc... This way it improves with the level of the character just like I think most powers should.

I think it should be stronger than presented in canon. Sure there are other powers to supplement it(like gateways) but I think Teleport itself should have quite a larger range. Actually, now that it just popped into my head, teleporters should be able to go beyond their normal range. Maybe modify their chance of failure and mishaps depending on how far beyond their safe range they go.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Twist wrote: I don't like the way Teleport is presented in HU2. I modify it so it's range is 2 miles + 1 mile per level of experience. So at level one it's 3 miles, level two it's 4 miles, etc... This way it improves with the level of the character just like I think most powers should.

I always thought that about the ranges, too, which is why I wrote the minor version the way I did.

Maybe modify their chance of failure and mishaps depending on how far beyond their safe range they go.

Yeah, that way they can always be pushing themselves to go farther but with no certainty they will make it, making the powers potentially more dangerous to use.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mr. Twist wrote: I don't like the way Teleport is presented in HU2. I modify it so it's range is 2 miles + 1 mile per level of experience. So at level one it's 3 miles, level two it's 4 miles, etc... This way it improves with the level of the character just like I think most powers should.

I always thought that about the ranges, too, which is why I wrote the minor version the way I did.

Maybe modify their chance of failure and mishaps depending on how far beyond their safe range they go.

Yeah, that way they can always be pushing themselves to go farther but with no certainty they will make it, making the powers potentially more dangerous to use.

Maybe I'll work on it a bit after I get home from work tonight.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
Agent_gir
Explorer

alien humnoid elephant
from a low gravity world
powers:

giant, hyperdensity,heavy weight, teleport

death from above
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

MrTwist wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Maybe I'll work on it a bit after I get home from work tonight.

Cool Beans. 8)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Some interesting applications/stunts I have made are with regard to having APS Plasma or Invulnerable characters actually teleport so as to intersect with an object, blowing holes in it, or to do surprise attacks by taking an extra action to aim before doing a line of sight strike using teleports. This is the sort of thing I was hoping for people to share via this thread.
Agent_gir
Explorer

you didn't like my "Death for above" stunt? it is very power specific, and the character dose have to weight a lot, but having a ton droped on your head would suck
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Agent_gir wrote:you didn't like my "Death for above" stunt? it is very power specific, and the character dose have to weight a lot, but having a ton droped on your head would suck

Actually I had failed to read all the posts. APS Stone would be worse, but it is a cute idea with the elephant. :lol:
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Ok, I posted a revised version of Teleport in the New Powers thread. I hope people like it. If not, make up your own.
Last edited by MrTwist on Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---Penn Jillette
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

MrTwist wrote:Ok, I posted a revised version of Teleport in the New Powers thread. I hope people like it. If not, make up you're own.

Thanks! :ok:
Agent_gir
Explorer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Agent_gir wrote:you didn't like my "Death for above" stunt? it is very power specific, and the character dose have to weight a lot, but having a ton droped on your head would suck

Actually I had failed to read all the posts. APS Stone would be worse, but it is a cute idea with the elephant. :lol:

your right APS stone would add a lot more weight, I went with hyperdensity because you'd take no damage, I'm a wuss like that :puke:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The purpose of this thread is to address those very issues and possibly do some creativity in that regard. I and others have been creting variant teleport powers in the New Powers thread to do exactly that. Check 'em out if you get the chance.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Agent_gir wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

your right APS stone would add a lot more weight, I went with hyperdensity because you'd take no damage, I'm a wuss like that :puke:

:lol: I do like the mutant animals factor, and actually had a mutant Elephant named Elephantom at one point, but I wish I had thought about using him like that. He did have density powers...

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”