D-Bees of North America - Questions/Comments..

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:I don't either. My memory skills pwn all. :P

Wait... what're we talking about?

~Josh

It was tacos right?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

One thing said : Lanotaur Hunters = Teh Owns !!!
-Lenwen.
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Its been bugging me for some time, why is DBoNA a World Book? It should be a Sourcebook. :-?
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

asajosh wrote:Its been bugging me for some time, why is DBoNA a World Book? It should be a Sourcebook. :-?

Agreed.

Although, I suppose, it's D-Bees of North America, which is indeed part of the world.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
asajosh wrote:Its been bugging me for some time, why is DBoNA a World Book? It should be a Sourcebook. :-?

Agreed.

Although, I suppose, it's D-Bees of North America, which is indeed part of the world.

Worldbooks describe geographic regions and all the critters, landmarks, etc, therein. This book describes the inhabitants of a geographic region. That makes it much closer to a Sourcebook. Having World in the title makes no difference, but you know that :P

This has been in the back of my mind since I bought DBoNA at the open house. As too many writers to list contributed material, I have decided to PM Kevin on this. Hopefully, his time and desire to answer my obscure, nit-picking query permitting, we'll have an answer soon :)
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

And here is the answer from the Man himself.
Why is DBoNA a Worldbook and not a Sourcebook?

Kevin wrote:
asajosh wrote:Hello.
I'm sure your nigh perpetually busy, but if you could take a moment and answer this question, that would be most appreciated.

Why is D-Bees of North America a World Book and not a Sourcebook? By my thinking it should be Sourcebook 5.

Please answer when your time permits, this has been festering in the back of my mind since I purchased the book at the Open House.

Thanks! :D

Dear asajosh,

We orginally planned it to be a sourcebook, but the title is D-Bees of "North America," which made us reconsider and make it a World Book. Afterall, they are an intrinsic part of the North America. On the other hand, there is no actual "place" describe (as is common in a World Book). Bad call? Maybe. But that was my logic.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
Publisher

There you have it.
Pretty cool when the President of the company takes the time!

:D
Carl

verdilak
Adventurer

Unread post by verdilak »

I have a question:

Why are some of the races that appeared in previous books have their attacks per melee nerfed?

Such as centaurs, which appear in MANY books before DBoNA and only now are their attacks cut down from +3 to +1. Not even the Conversion book lowers it.

Aother example, Lyn-Srial. Why were their attacks per melee nerfed as well?

I would really like to get a good reason for this, since many races that have no extra arms/legs/limbs/tails/wings/ect. still recieved bonuses to attacks, so the +1 attack for a pair of limbs only holds no water in my book.
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The lost ones were originally on a list I gave to Kevin during my second internship, as that was part of my job. It was up to him to decide whether or not to stat them out. He opted not to.

Dracurian wrote:Still think any species should be able to take any O.C.C. though.

That is left up to the GM.. If you don't like the rules they are, Change them.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
The Galactus Kid

lol true. Dice rule.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

verdilak
Adventurer

verdilak wrote:I have a question:

Why are some of the races that appeared in previous books have their attacks per melee nerfed?

Such as centaurs, which appear in MANY books before DBoNA and only now are their attacks cut down from +3 to +1. Not even the Conversion book lowers it.

Another example, Lyn-Srial. Why were their attacks per melee nerfed as well?

I would really like to get a good reason for this, since many races that have no extra arms/legs/limbs/tails/wings/ect. still received bonuses to attacks, so the +1 attack for a pair of limbs only holds no water in my book.

No answers?
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

verdilak wrote:
verdilak wrote:I have a question:

Another example, Lyn-Srial. Why were their attacks per melee nerfed as well?

I would really like to get a good reason for this, since many races that have no extra arms/legs/limbs/tails/wings/ect. still received bonuses to attacks, so the +1 attack for a pair of limbs only holds no water in my book.

No answers?

That would be a question for Kevin or the Editors, not us Freelancers.

We simply do not know.

~Josh
verdilak
Adventurer

Thanks for the answer Josh :D
Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

The P.B. of the Psi-Goblins is missing...again!

Please note for future editing.
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Arcanus wrote:So is D-bees of NA worth getting?

Yes

I hope it's not a lot of reprints.

No not really, though there are reprints too.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Galactus Kid

I wrote the dewtani, and that is a really interesting question. I'll work something up for Dewtani shifters linked to the creator, or at least a full answer to that question today abd post it here.

Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

I think it is a awesome book!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Arcanus wrote:So is D-bees of NA worth getting?

It all depends. If you are just getting started in Rifts then yes. As it collects a bunch of existing RCC from existing books updates some of them along with a small amount of new ones. If you have most of the Rifts books already it's not a "must get" book. As you already have most of the material already. At that point its a judgement call on your part.

Arcanus wrote:I hope it's not a lot of reprints.

Most of the book is reprint with some new RCC sprinkled throughout.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

But having updated material like it did is good!
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Princedarkstorm wrote:But having updated material like it did is good!

It's still a useful book. And even though it has some small amount of updated material it's still largely reprint. I like the book. Just because I like it does not mean I'm going to gloss over what I consider the flaws of the book.
Last edited by Sureshot on Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

True.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Wow!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Do PC's get Both skill sets Rcc Skill set as well as thier Occ skill sets or do they get to pick an choose or choose one directly an live with that choice hencforth ?

-Lenwen.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Lenwen wrote:Do PC's get Both skill sets Rcc Skill set as well as thier Occ skill sets or do they get to pick an choose or choose one directly an live with that choice hencforth ?

-Lenwen.

With RUE, the term "R.C.C." has been returned to its original meaning.

Elves, Dwarves, Bayou Ursines, Slurmph, etc. are not R.C.C.s, they are races that can freely choose O.C.C.s (sometimes with certain restrictions).

An R.C.C. however cannot pick an O.C.C. Period. They are stuck to their given skill set.

In older, pre-RUE books, if an R.C.C. can pick an O.C.C., then it is now a race, and not an R.C.C.

~ Josh

EDIT: In situations where a D-Bee race has been given an R.C.C. and the choice of abandoning that skill set for an O.C.C., the unique R.C.C. is now considered an O.C.C.

For example: In CWC, Quick Flex Aliens could be either the Quick Flex Rogue R.C.C. or choose an O.C.C. Now, post RUE, it is considered to be the Quick Flex Rogue O.C.C..
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Or some gms combine both at times .But it is up to the gms .
The Galactus Kid

I've been thinking about the Dewtani shifter linked to the creator, and I will probably be posting it tonight. It is most likely based off of the Gods of Magic that a Shifter can link to.

Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

That is a cool race .
The Galactus Kid

Thank you. Its actually based on one of players characters. Her name was Detania (a LLW) and she went crazy after her son was kidnapped by slavers.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Are there any restrictions to which races would NOT be able to handle the Atlantean Tattoo Process that anyone knows of ??

-Lenwen.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

No idea.Maybe they covered it the Atlantis revised book?
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Lenwen wrote:Are there any restrictions to which races would NOT be able to handle the Atlantean Tattoo Process that anyone knows of ??

-Lenwen.
There are only 4 races that CAN handle tattoos
Human
Atlantean
Ogre
Elf but they take double damage and scar from the process.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

But I have seen people accept humanoids from the Aliens Unlimited sourcebook get them as well .It is also should be remembered the books are guidelines as well .
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Josh Hilden wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:
Lenwen wrote:Are there any restrictions to which races would NOT be able to handle the Atlantean Tattoo Process that anyone knows of ??

-Lenwen.
There are only 4 races that CAN handle tattoos
Human
Atlantean
Ogre
Elf but they take double damage and scar from the process.

Chiang Ku Dragons?

Opps, Josh you are right. I always forget them because thye re not in a book i own.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

True ,I think they were only write ups were in England and the Dragons and Gods sourcebooks?
For the Chiang Ku Dragons.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

hey all love this book its an awesome resource for my games and has become a staple in my book carrier for games i have to travel to. my first question is about the ROANE PIPER by Jason Richards. one oc the OCC'S available is listed as the super-spy but they are unable to take the psychic , magic , or bionic/cybernetic options so why is the super spy an occ option? second question, it also says that they have have no aptitude for magic but could they POSSIBLY by a spell singer occ (its in a rifter i just cant remember which one) as it seems like they would be suitable for that one. and the 3rd question is about the DEWTANI what are the stats fir a dewtani shifer linked to the creator? oh and as a few general comments the picture of the grackle tooth (full page) was really cool made me want to play one so i used it as an npc gang leader in a pecos adventure, THE DRAMINS write up may just become my favorite race in the books and the aaradentek (did i spell that right?) as a very close second.

Randy
The Galactus Kid

Hey Finn,
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

1) Roane Piper Super-spy: One of the super spy options is D-bee with extraordinary abilities, which the Roane Piper is. That means that you use the skill set of the Super-Spy and the racial characteristics of the Roane, and you MUST select the D-bee option instead of magic, psionic, or robot option.

2) The Dewtani Shifter: A dewtani Shifter is rolled up like the normal shifter. Once they make a connection with the creator they will use the template of "Gods of Magic" in the shifter description and then gain an additional +1 to spell level and +1 to save vs. magic. ONLY DEWTANI OF GOOD ALIGNMENT CAN MAKE A CONNECTION WITH THE CREATOR.

3) Grackle Tooth: Yes. Apollo did an amazing job.

4) Dramins: I have to go check these guys out again.

5) Aaradentek: The look like angry elephants to me.

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Hey Finn,
I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
well i guess you are all jason richards that works for me :D

1) Roane Piper Super-spy: One of the super spy options is D-bee with extraordinary abilities, which the Roane Piper is. That means that you use the skill set of the Super-Spy and the racial characteristics of the Roane, and you MUST select the D-bee option instead of magic, psionic, or robot option.
ok now i understand that part. any thoughts on the spell singer occ from the rifter?

2) The Dewtani Shifter: A dewtani Shifter is rolled up like the normal shifter. Once they make a connection with the creator they will use the template of "Gods of Magic" in the shifter description and then gain an additional +1 to spell level and +1 to save vs. magic. ONLY DEWTANI OF GOOD ALIGNMENT CAN MAKE A CONNECTION WITH THE CREATOR.
ok now that makes sense to me.

3) Grackle Tooth: Yes. Apollo did an amazing job.

4) Dramins: I have to go check these guys out again.

5) Aaradentek: The look like angry elephants to me.

thanks for your answers you have helped me out a lot. awesome book i cant say enough about it other than i recomend it as a must have book.
The Galactus Kid

As for the spell singer, I would have to say that since the Magic is musical in nature, they would have a natural aptitude for it. I would liken it to how a Mystic "KNOWS" magic. They don't know how they know it, but its just intuitive. Given this logic and a good bit of role-playing, I would allow them to also learn Song magic of the whale singers.

By the way, I have to agree with you about the book. Heck, I had seen many of the D-bees before they were in and I thought they were all pretty cool, but once I saw the book, I was floored. It is such an AWESOME book. I agree that it is a must have. Its still a coffee table book at my house.

finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

actually i would never had thougth of the whale singers spells something else for me to read....
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

They are all great choices !
The Galactus Kid

Finn,
I re-read the Dramins last night and I loved them. The role-playing potential there is awesome.

Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Might have to reread on alot of rrcs again as well finding more races to like as well.
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

The Galactus Kid wrote:Finn,
I re-read the Dramins last night and I loved them. The role-playing potential there is awesome.

thats what drew me to them as well.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Do you think their might be a vol 2 to the sourcebook?
finn69
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by finn69 »

Princedarkstorm wrote:Do you think their might be a vol 2 to the sourcebook?

why? they pretty much cover all teh d-bee races in North America that could expect to see in any kind of numbers in the population centers of NA as well as in some remote areas. the one that was left out that i noticed was the Lost ones from the merc. book but there are so few of them left anywhere in the verse (acording to their write up) that i can see why they would be left out. there could possibly be a d-bee book series for other continents made but there havent been too many new playable d-bee races in the other books that i recall or there could be one for the phase world series but that would probably require 3 or 4 books to cover such a large setting and i would much rather see more books for main setting like lazlo , chi-town , and other main locations or books for the other lines like bts2 , nightbane, chaos earth , or new worlds for phase world.

Randy
The Galactus Kid

Mountain Giants from New West were left out too. I originally compiled the list of existing races for the book and The Lost Ones and the Mountain Giants were both on the list. Ultimately, I think that there is interest in doing another one of these books for other regions. I would love to have one for Europe (once it gets fleshed out, or even a d-bees of North America 2.

Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Besides updates or new races are always coming into the RIFTER or worldbooks as well.
The Galactus Kid

Yeah, so a new compilation wouldn't be hard, and would actually be really fun for the freelancers to put together again.

Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Very true.
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

Now that was deadly! :D
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

I dig the Dramin race too. Wanted to roll up a Dramin crazy. Sort of that whole better-understanding-of-reality-through-madness kind of thing. In this case the character would eagerly look forward to the insanities for the new found understanding they would bring. Had a really cool idea for a sketch of him to...
Allsome. Do me a favor and let me know how that works out.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com

Return to “Rifts®”