D-Bees of North America - Questions/Comments..

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

AzathothXy
Adventurer

Re: D-Bees of North America - Questions/Comments..

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Just watch out for the Lanotaur cyber-knights.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Burulovesyou wrote:
AzathothXy wrote:Just watch out for the Lanotaur cyber-knights.

Player asks for that and I get to explain to him the difference between a rcc and a race :D

The Cyberknight book mentions that there may be one around.
The Nuclear Chaos
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Warriors of the Megaverse Unite !

Unread post by Princedarkstorm »

CosmoKnight would be cool as well !
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Wasn't the lanotaur hunter cyber-knight basically a fake? (ie., calling itself a cyber-knight, but being evil and not actually having the OCC - I mean, a lanotaur hunter can also get psi-sword, so one could pull off the deception fairly well)

I can't remember for the life of me where I got this though - maybe I made it up.
- If I never hear real world military buffs complaining about Rifts weapons technology again it'll be too soon
- Rifts isn't Warhammer 40K. Try to remember that.
- In vino veritas, and I am hammered!
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Talavar wrote:Wasn't the lanotaur hunter cyber-knight basically a fake? (ie., calling itself a cyber-knight, but being evil and not actually having the OCC - I mean, a lanotaur hunter can also get psi-sword, so one could pull off the deception fairly well)

I can't remember for the life of me where I got this though - maybe I made it up.

The book says he claims to be a cyberknight, but knows if he is or is a fake.
The Nuclear Chaos
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

True .
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

When ever I read those guys I got a distinct "Predator" Theme from them.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Princedarkstorm
Megaversal® Ambassador

True .
Same here .
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

I just picked this book up and love it, but the Bayou Ursines desciption left me with a few questions.

What in the world is going on in Louisiana and what is a Crull?
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Seneca wrote:I just picked this book up and love it, but the Bayou Ursines desciption left me with a few questions.

What in the world is going on in Louisiana and what is a Crull?

You are going to have to wait for Rifts: Delta Blues
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

Aww.... Foiled by a teaser paragraph again :x ....
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
The Galactus Kid

PlayerThree wrote:Where can I get some more art on Amana?

If there is one thing I want out of this book, it's more art on them. It's not that the artist did a bad job, in fact it's a fantastic picture, but rather that it doesn't really highlight the look of the Amana, especially the head, as much as I'd like (the sentence structure there was bad, I know.) Not to mention, the description really doesn't detail them as much as I'd like, in terms of physical appearance and features.

Other than that, phenomenal book.

The book really tried to pack as much info in it as possible, so there wasn't really as much room for art as much as we would like. I'm guessing that there might be more art the more the races are used in other books.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

If there is one thing I want out of this book, it's more art on them. It's not that the artist did a bad job, in fact it's a fantastic picture, but rather that it doesn't really highlight the look of the Amana, especially the head, as much as I'd like (the sentence structure there was bad, I know.) Not to mention, the description really doesn't detail them as much as I'd like, in terms of physical appearance and features.

I second the above post, but DO agree that more art would be awesome. It takes everything in me to not run out and commission a bunch of stuff from whatever artists illustrate my work, ESPECIALLY new alien races. The art in D-Bees is really top notch across the board, second only to (perhaps) the new Robotech Books.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
The Galactus Kid

Jason Richards wrote:

I second the above post, but DO agree that more art would be awesome. It takes everything in me to not run out and commission a bunch of stuff from whatever artists illustrate my work, ESPECIALLY new alien races. The art in D-Bees is really top notch across the board, second only to (perhaps) the new Robotech Books.

I would have to agree with this. I think the art is fantastic. Of all of my races, I think I like the Slurmph the best, but everything else is awesome too.

Jason Richards

the art for my Dramin and Roane couldn't have been more perfect. The Iktek was also sweet but I wish could have been bigger to display its scale.

love that book. why haven't we done another one again? I forget.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

The Galactus Kid

Jason Richards wrote:the art for my Dramin and Roane couldn't have been more perfect. The Iktek was also sweet but I wish could have been bigger to display its scale.

I know, right? alas...

Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Jason Richards wrote:the art for my Dramin and Roane couldn't have been more perfect. The Iktek was also sweet but I wish could have been bigger to display its scale.

I know, right? alas...

I blame Sinsapaugh.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Levi
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

Funny, I was thinking the same thing over the last few days. It was 3 years ago at the POH we purposed D-Bees. It was published two years ago at the last POH. And despite a lot of talk about doing another freelancer project we never made a plan.

Fear not, I have ideas to share again. And a new project or two could be born...
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Reguoc
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Reguoc »

QUick Question on Nuhr Dwarves. On Pg 150 it states that the Nuhr Dwarf Mystic Smith is roughly the equivalent of the Mystic Kuznya from Mystic Russia. I have a gamer that is argueing the "roughly equivalent" portion to justify major revisions to the abilities of the Nuhr version. Per the write up is there supposed to be any actual variation from the Kuznya (other than the nuhr black powder gear)? Or can the Nuhr craft all of the same gear and do they have the same class abilities?
Ryan McDaniel
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Reguoc wrote:QUick Question on Nuhr Dwarves. On Pg 150 it states that the Nuhr Dwarf Mystic Smith is roughly the equivalent of the Mystic Kuznya from Mystic Russia. I have a gamer that is argueing the "roughly equivalent" portion to justify major revisions to the abilities of the Nuhr version. Per the write up is there supposed to be any actual variation from the Kuznya (other than the nuhr black powder gear)? Or can the Nuhr craft all of the same gear and do they have the same class abilities?

Well basically it is a Nuhr Dwarf Mystic Kuznya. If it were a human they would get all the MK abilities, so with a Nuhr Dwarf, your going to have a very powerful character who can make some powerful items. Now just because they can make all these items doesn't mean they have the time to make them or even have all the materials.

As for the class abilities you as the GM are going to have to wing it. Do what is balanced for your game. I've always been of the opinion that its the GM's game and the GM has the final say. This includes gear as well. Heck if the player wanted to play this combo so bad i would make part of the adventure them getting the gear especially the smithing equipment.

Good luck :ok:

Carl
ImageImage
Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

The only time I used a Lanotaur, it was an NPC. I expected him to live, but no, he got critted by multiple zombies, and DIED. :)

When the battle was done, the PC's SOLD his lesser rune weapon, becoming FAR wealthier than 2nd level characters should ever become. Serves me right. :)
GT
Explorer

Unread post by GT »

The Lost Ones should be put back in the reprintings.

Just Cuz! :P
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

I great book, though some of the aliens will never see the light of day in my campaigns, others will be an reoccuring cool thing. 3.5/5 overall.

The only thing I really lack and that should had been put into the book is a experience chart for those races that are R.C.Cs
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

GT wrote:The Lost Ones should be put back in the reprintings.

Just Cuz! :P

Hear hear! I LOVE the Lost Ones, try giving them HP/SDC stats for SDC worlds too, given that the Dreamer was first sighted on the BtS world, it would be perfect.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Mark Hall wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

I know, right? alas...

I blame Sinsapaugh.

For world hunger, inflation, and the Black Death. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
The Galactus Kid

Danger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:

I know, right? alas...

I blame Sinsapaugh.

For world hunger, inflation, and the Black Death. :D

D. All of the above.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

You forgot furries... he's to blame for that too.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Galactus Kid

Daniel Stoker wrote:You forgot furries... he's to blame for that too.

Daniel Stoker

OMFG!!! TRUTH!!! lol

DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I was wondering about a strange S.D.C./M.D.C. change in the books. One of the things I found interesting about the Lyvorrk is that in Vampire Kingdoms, they were minor M.D.C. equivalents with their S.D.C. being 6D6X100. Now, they are minor Mega-Damage creatures. This changed along with the Giant races in the revised Rifts Conversion Book, so it wasn't too out of place. I chalked up the converting to M.D.C. as a result of the increased magics when Tolkeen and Freehold fell.

On the other hand, the Yeno in Rifts Canada were originally M.D.C. beings, even with N.P.C.'s being listed as Mega-Damage. But now in D-Bees of North America, they're S.D.C. beings, and their force fields are stronger than before? I'm just trying to wrap my head around that one. I like the races and the art in the books, it was a well done job. I'm just trying to make sense of the little things.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Jason Richards

DtMK wrote:I was wondering about a strange S.D.C./M.D.C. change in the books. One of the things I found interesting about the Lyvorrk is that in Vampire Kingdoms, they were minor M.D.C. equivalents with their S.D.C. being 6D6X100. Now, they are minor Mega-Damage creatures. This changed along with the Giant races in the revised Rifts Conversion Book, so it wasn't too out of place. I chalked up the converting to M.D.C. as a result of the increased magics when Tolkeen and Freehold fell.

On the other hand, the Yeno in Rifts Canada were originally M.D.C. beings, even with N.P.C.'s being listed as Mega-Damage. But now in D-Bees of North America, they're S.D.C. beings, and their force fields are stronger than before? I'm just trying to wrap my head around that one. I like the races and the art in the books, it was a well done job. I'm just trying to make sense of the little things.

The changes aren't the result of anything in the world. They're just editorial adjustments.

DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Maybe it's because of the holiday season and they remind me of reindeer, here's a question about the Feni Nomad. It says when they go into their berzerker rage, they temporarily gain an extra 1D6X100 S.D.C. per level for the fight. Now, is this rolled once every level? If they roll once at level one, is that initial roll what they gain every level? Do they roll for it randomly every time they go into berzerker rage? How do they determine it?
The Galactus Kid

DtMK wrote:Maybe it's because of the holiday season and they remind me of reindeer, here's a question about the Feni Nomad. It says when they go into their berzerker rage, they temporarily gain an extra 1D6X100 S.D.C. per level for the fight. Now, is this rolled once every level? If they roll once at level one, is that initial roll what they gain every level? Do they roll for it randomly every time they go into berzerker rage? How do they determine it?

I would Roll randomly everytime they go into battle.

The Galactus Kid

Sidewinder wrote:I love the Auto-G race but just wanted to clarify a few things.

When they copy a Psychic Race, say a Psi-Stalker, at what level do they gain the psychic abilities? Their level?

Their limitation on using magic. It says they cannot cast spells, draw upon magic or learn magic under Vulnerabilities/Limitations. Ok, clear enough BUT what if they consume the DNA of a D-bee that has natural magic powers (who is not a Supernatural being, Creature of Magic, etc.) A couple of examples are the Zenith Moon Warper or the Lanotaur Hunter. The Moon Warper has abilities like a Mystic, whereas the Lanotaur Hunter has set spells (with a couple more at higher levels). Can they use those spells or is it just something they do not get access to?

Thanks!

Thats tough. I would have to go back and read the auto-g again, but I would personally not give them access to any psionic or magic. If the book says they can copy the psionic powers, then I would have it be at their level. They would have no access to magic.

dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

The Galactus Kid wrote:
Sidewinder wrote:I love the Auto-G race but just wanted to clarify a few things.

When they copy a Psychic Race, say a Psi-Stalker, at what level do they gain the psychic abilities? Their level?

Their limitation on using magic. It says they cannot cast spells, draw upon magic or learn magic under Vulnerabilities/Limitations. Ok, clear enough BUT what if they consume the DNA of a D-bee that has natural magic powers (who is not a Supernatural being, Creature of Magic, etc.) A couple of examples are the Zenith Moon Warper or the Lanotaur Hunter. The Moon Warper has abilities like a Mystic, whereas the Lanotaur Hunter has set spells (with a couple more at higher levels). Can they use those spells or is it just something they do not get access to?

Thanks!

Thats tough. I would have to go back and read the auto-g again, but I would personally not give them access to any psionic or magic. If the book says they can copy the psionic powers, then I would have it be at their level. They would have no access to magic.

I do believe they would gain the psychic abilities, but like you GK, i'd have to reread it. I think they copy a race right to it's very genetics, and would gain the psychic abilities of that race as long as it's a characteristic of that race. IE: the powers of the psi-hound/psi-stalker are ingrained in every race. But not in humans (even though they have a chance at having powers).
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What D-Bees can't take a OCC?
The Galactus Kid

Any D-bee can take one if it has them in its stat block. Some also have an R.C.C. that they take IF they don't choose an O.C.C. (the default skills for the race), and some are ONLY R.C.C's with no option for an O.C.C.

Jason Richards

gaby wrote:What D-Bees can't take a OCC?

GK hit it pretty much on the head. We tried to give lots of races that COULD take O.C.C.s, and to make it clear in the writeups, at least in the new classes. I think it's safe to say that, while there may be restrictions, pretty much any mortal, S.D.C. race can take an O.C.C.

The Galactus Kid

Perez's zenith Moon Warper image is just hard to top.

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

what are your top 10 New D-Bees?

What D-Bees do you think it was missing?

Do you use any them for Phase world,s games?
Daniel Stoker
Knight

If I'm thinking of the right picture, that's a Larmac found on page 118 of the D-Bee book.

Daniel Stoker
The Galactus Kid

Daniel Stoker wrote:If I'm thinking of the right picture, that's a Larmac found on page 118 of the D-Bee book.

Daniel Stoker

you are correct.

random_username
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Just an old dude Gamer (GM and Player) who had the honor of gaming with several great groups of folks over the years.

Unread post by random_username »

Interesting book. The illustrations and/or descriptions are enough to make several of the species interesting to play regardless of their actual abilities. Alternatively some species are mainly interesting for their enhanced attributes and abilities. Having limitations on some of the species make them seem more balanced. Example: Lanotaur Hunter's Combat Awareness defeated by common minor psi-power or the super psi-power version.

--------

Any bored GMs looking to mess with their players (or simply create a funky story moment) should have a Power Leech (D-Bees page 162) lie down on a ley line in a large open area surrounded by hills or even mountains. For fun make sure there is a small CS outpost, interesting small town, etc or a Godzilla-sized dinosaur nearby or just the players. Have the Power Leech lay there for 40-47 hours then go 'play' in the town. Should be the equivalent of drawing power from a city sized constant power source only in PPE. Make the calculations and have fun.

Then go punt a giant dinosaur like a football.

Or... do the same process with several dozen of them at the same time...
If something makes the RPG experience better that's great. If not don't use it.

If not overly informative hopefully it was at least mildly amusing. Munchkin Clown Away! <fwoosh... honk, honk>
Jason Richards

Bonezy2226 wrote:The biggest complaint I have about this book is the same I've had before. That is that you never include enough storyline behind many of your races. I'm looking at the book right now and the first entry, the Aarden-Tek. There's just not enough to the entry. You talk about how they're wide-eyed dimensional travellers, and even hint at possible campaign arcs, but you don't list hardly anything about other personallity traits. You extensivly list stats, but leave it up to the GM to develope a whole culture for these creatures. OH, except that they're explorers and like magic. You did get that. This has happened time and time again in the books, and I'm just saying that a little more depth to your culture descriptions would be great.

It can be an issue for a lot of existing races, I think, but in my opinion the new races don't suffer from that nearly as much. Plus, even some of the existing races got a nice flavor text facelift, like the Kremin.

Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Chill Zone wrote:Here's one thing bugging me and my group. Flipping through the books and looking at all the art work (Great jobs guys BTW) there is a dee bee race that pops up in alot of the art work but we have never found an entry for them. It's the one drinking the Psy-cola in the Psyscape book. What are they?

There's actually about 3 different writeups for that race in varying Rifts books. They're one of my faves. :) They remind me a bit of me. lol

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
keldon_uk
D-Bee

Unread post by keldon_uk »

Fantastic Book, One of my "core" books :)

I really really like the slurmph, just wrote up a merc soldier slurmph and I just get the image of him trying to hide from a CS squad in his armour and spilling out of any gaps :D

Really like the Malvoren too, very cool combat race
The Galactus Kid

keldon_uk wrote:Fantastic Book, One of my "core" books :)

I really really like the slurmph, just wrote up a merc soldier slurmph and I just get the image of him trying to hide from a CS squad in his armour and spilling out of any gaps :D

Really like the Malvoren too, very cool combat race

I'm glad you like the slurmph. I had a bunch of fun with those guys.

Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

keldon_uk wrote:Fantastic Book, One of my "core" books

Seconded, although I am sad that both the Bayou Ursine and the Idie Swamp Men were chosen for the book while leaving the Two-Horned Techno-Men out.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Wait the what now?

Daniel Stoker
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Daniel Stoker wrote:Wait the what now?
They're from the same Rifter that the aforementioned D-Bees originally came from. They were basically three foot tall, three eyed fury D-Bees that ride around in custom built power armor, they actually get negatives to save vs. horror factor when not in their power armor because they know how squishy they are. They get mechanical based psionics and are generally nifty.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Ale Golem wrote:
keldon_uk wrote:Fantastic Book, One of my "core" books

Seconded, although I am sad that both the Bayou Ursine and the Idie Swamp Men were chosen for the book while leaving the Two-Horned Techno-Men out.

I didn't submit them for D-Bees of North America at the time because I felt they were incomplete to be official material. I'm not sure why I decided that at the time, or even if it was the right decision to make. Do I regret that decision - maybe, I certainly like the race. Glad to hear you like them too.

I guess, in a way, it's kinda like how Bob Dylan left "Blind Willie McTell" off Infidels or "Red River Shore" off Time Out of Mind, instead of including them on either album. The main difference here is that I have no place comparing myself to someone like Bob Dylan... ;)

~ Josh

Return to “Rifts®”