Cytoplasmic Blob Familiar

Diabolists, Techno-Wizards & Psionicists, Oh my! All things that are Magics and Psionics in all Palladium Games.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Scrud
Explorer
Comment: Truth is subjective, which is the very reason I must rely on you to make the right choice.
Location: Alone pondering whether or not I'm a Dopplaganger or not, whether or not I'm doing the right thing

Re: Cytoplasmic Blob Familiar

Unread post by Scrud »

gadrin wrote:for purposes of a mage making one a familiar (blobs are in the Dimension Builder Book), would this require the regular Familiar Link spell, or the Greater Familiar spell ?

they're described as being equal to puppies, and while they have meager psi-powers, lots of "regular animals" in the old Rifts RPG had built-in psionics.

I'm almost sure that the spell in the book specifys animals which a blob is not, so it would require a greater spell. personaly I've always wanted one that would work on monsters with animal like intelligence
-Floops of the Megaverse beware, Scrud the Flooper Slayer is on the Prowl

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You would use the familler rules found in the "Through the Glass Darkly" book. Which are suplamented in Rifter 27.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

The familiars in MB were supposed to be for the Shifter to have the option to have a SN creature for a familiar. If I were to make a GM decesion as to if a player who had a none Shifter OCC I might have them research a more advanced version of the Familiar Link spell. Make it a mini-adventure of sorts to get some rare components maybe. Once completed they could perform a ritual to bond with the familiar.

I don't think it would be the Summon Greater Familiar Spell because as I recall that is only temporary and brings the familair to the mage.

Carl
ImageImage
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Actually, I'm pretty sure all the familiars listed in that section can be bonded to with the ordinary familiar link spell. They all match the size limits for the spell if I recall correctly, and are ordinary animals, atleast for their home dimensions. The blob is actually just a pseudo intelligent animal cell after all (which begs the question, if the cells are that large in it's home dimension, how large is everything else?)
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Prince Artemis wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure all the familiars listed in that section can be bonded to with the ordinary familiar link spell. They all match the size limits for the spell if I recall correctly, and are ordinary animals, atleast for their home dimensions. The blob is actually just a pseudo intelligent animal cell after all (which begs the question, if the cells are that large in it's home dimension, how large is everything else?)

That's because I used the spell as a guideline, but I think some may have gone over the limits of the spell.

Carl
ImageImage
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

It fits nether Familier spell, so he should use the familier boning rules in "Through the glass darkly'.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

?!?

Unread post by Neorealist »

I'm not sure he wants to be that familiar with his familiar
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It fits nether Familier spell, so he should use the familier boning rules in "Through the glass darkly'.

Fenrus: Erasmus is my familiar.
Erasmus: Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Fenrus: Familiar is my Erasmus? Well, I have known Erasmus to be overly familiar...
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Re: Cytoplasmic Blob Familiar

Unread post by Thinyser »

Scrud wrote:
gadrin wrote:for purposes of a mage making one a familiar (blobs are in the Dimension Builder Book), would this require the regular Familiar Link spell, or the Greater Familiar spell ?

they're described as being equal to puppies, and while they have meager psi-powers, lots of "regular animals" in the old Rifts RPG had built-in psionics.

I'm almost sure that the spell in the book specifys animals which a blob is not, so it would require a greater spell. personally I've always wanted one that would work on monsters with animal like intelligence

Its wouldn't be an animal to us, but on its own planet it certainly could be... its just an overgrown amoeba with psi powers.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Guild of Magic & Psionics”