And then life got in the way . . .

The latest thoughts and ramblings from the Palladium Books staff.

Moderator: AlexM

Kevin
Yeah, The Publisher Guy

And then life got in the way . . .

Unread post by Kevin »

Rifts® Sourcebook One, Revised & Expanded was looking great. I was writing well and finally pounding out pages like a mad man when life got in the way.

On Thursday, January 25, 2007, Bill Bailey called the office. Bill is the older brother of Kathy Simmons. Bill helps out in the Palladium warehouse and Kathy is Palladium’s epic order processing and customer relations person (not to mention my sweetheart).

Bill’s call was not good news.

His and Kathy’s older sister, Cindy, suddenly took ill. At first, Bill thought it was a sudden onset of the flu, but when his sister’s condition worsened, he decided to rush her to the hospital. Next thing he knew, Cindy was in critical condition, on a ventilator and the doctors were saying her organs seemed to be shutting down.

It wasn’t good. The call went out to family. Kathy, her daughter and other family members rushed to the hospital.

Space being limited in the E.R. and later in the I.C.U., I stayed at the office and tried to keep focused on writing. I was kept in the loop with frequent phone calls and the hospital is only 10 minutes from the office, so I could be there whenever I was needed.

By evening, the family was told Cindy was brain dead. People were shocked and crushed. It happened all so suddenly. Sure Cindy had been struggling with diabetes for a while, but this . . .

Then a miracle.

Cindy WOKE UP and seemed alert! Nodding yes and no to complicated questions, squeezing hands, wiggling her toes. It was a happy surprise to everyone!

Friday afternoon, Cindy is off the ventilator, breathing on her own and chatting with her visitors. Whew. What a scare. What an emotional roller coaster ride for everyone, especially poor Bill, and poor, poor Cindy!

We can only hope she continues to improve and can go home soon. With any luck this story will have a happy ending.

I didn't get home last night till 11:00 PM and was up with Kathy into the wee hours of the morning. Today I’ve had a hard time writing all day. I think the emotional stress of the previous day and this morning wiped me out. I’m just so glad for the family, and hope there is nothing but improvement from this point forward. I’m sure I’ll be able to dive back into writing Saturday (only managed 6 pages today), and since I couldn’t concentrate well enough to work on the book, I spent time talking to a couple of freelance artists and writing a couple of Murmurs.

Boy, Palladium seems to have had its share of of miracles these past months. I guess somebody up there must really like us.

That’s it for now. Please stay happy and healthy, and keep those imaginations burning bright.

Sincerely,
Kevin Siembieda
A Relieved Friend

© January 26, 2007

Return to “Murmurs from the Megaverse®”