Take cover? Not for long!

1'st edition, Deluxe Revised. Military strategies are the thing to discuss here. Oh yeah and how much damage that land mine will do.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Take cover? Not for long!

Unread post by Jefffar »

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... rearms+tra

Warning, 20 minute video.

Lots of weapons will go through a pretty typical collection of urban objects. At another site it was theorized that the AK is using AP ammunition.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Unread post by Grey Death »

My computer here at work is junk for video. Especially for something thats long. What do they show the AK fireing through?
Hale Chidduck: Do you believe in karma?
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Lot's of stuff with lots of differnt weapons. Check it when you get home.

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Rockwolf66
Hero

Unread post by Rockwolf66 »

I think I need to stop hanging out with hot bargirls as I am seeing Double. Either that or the topic is repeating itself.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

So nice it was posted twice?

Grey Death
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:I think I need to stop hanging out with hot bargirls as I am seeing Double. Either that or the topic is repeating itself.

Ive found that theres no reason to stop hanging out with hot bar girls :P :D
Joe Sarno: Karma's justice without the satisfaction. I don't believe in justice.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Re: Take cover? Not for long!

Jefffar wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6760530260633420235&q=firearms+tra

Lots of weapons will go through a pretty typical collection of urban objects. At another site it was theorized that the AK is using AP ammunition.

On a more serious note. Now that I have been able to watch the video. I would say AK rounds are not armor peircing. I would say standard 124 grain full metal jacket rounds. From personal experience I would expect the AK to penetrate the drywall, brick, and block.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Grey Death wrote:
Jefffar wrote:http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6760530260633420235&q=firearms+tra

On a more serious note. Now that I have been able to watch the video. I would say AK rounds are not armor peircing. I would say standard 124 grain full metal jacket rounds. From personal experience I would expect the AK to penetrate the drywall, brick, and block.

Well, they go right through ceramic tile without slowing.
Microwave ovens too.

Hm.
Based on my shooting experience, I think the safest cover might be a huge stack of bowling balls.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

I thought it was interesting to note how protective body armour does almost nothing against assault rifles and larger rounds...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Thoth Amon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Hm.
Based on my shooting experience, I think the safest cover might be a huge stack of bowling balls.

:lol: So, have you ever hidden behind a huge stack of bowling balls while someone was shooting at you? :lol:

Not yet. :)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Rockwolf66
Hero

Braden, GMPhD wrote:I thought it was interesting to note how protective body armour does almost nothing against assault rifles and larger rounds...

Those were flack jackets without plate. A member on another forum I belong to took five hits from an AKM to his issue vest. He's still here and the guy with the AKM is not. Check out the Body armor and glass videos from the 2004 blackwater shoot. It's rather interesting. I must warn you to ignore the Blended Metal Video as Tactical forums has the real deal on them.
Grey Death
Adventurer

Rockwolf66 wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:I thought it was interesting to note how protective body armour does almost nothing against assault rifles and larger rounds...

Those were flack jackets without plate. A member on another forum I belong to took five hits from an AKM to his issue vest. He's still here and the guy with the AKM is not. Check out the Body armor and glass videos from the 2004 blackwater shoot. It's rather interesting. I must warn you to ignore the Blended Metal Video as Tactical forums has the real deal on them.

Hey Rockwolf66 thanks for posting the link to the tactical forums. I had read about the blended metal nonsense a while back, and thought it sounded to good to be true. Its nice to get the facts about it. Thanks.
Rockwolf66
Hero

Grey Death wrote:Hey Rockwolf66 thanks for posting the link to the tactical forums. I had read about the blended metal nonsense a while back, and thought it sounded to good to be true. Its nice to get the facts about it. Thanks.

No problem.
While my major is Psychology, I have a KK* who is a physics major. That means that I get to listen to allot of physics trivia. Things were really interesting when she worked at a Rocket facility. From what I know about Rifle rounds and penatration things sounded too good to be true. Sort of like early reports of 5.56X45mm wounding affects.

*KK= Swedish slang for Friends with Benifits.
Jefffar
Supreme Being

Unread post by Jefffar »

Yeah, though in the grenade test they didn't let you see how much of the shrapnel went into the dummy's head.

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Grey Death wrote:
Rockwolf66 wrote:I think I need to stop hanging out with hot bargirls as I am seeing Double. Either that or the topic is repeating itself.

Ive found that theres no reason to stop hanging out with hot bar girls :P :D

If you don't find one yourself, your liver will, and if it does not, jealous jilted ex boyfriends with large guns and black talon ammo will find YOU ;).
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Svartalf
Champion

I know... as a general idea, what is the biggest caliber pistol that a police vest (I assume military grade armor might be somewhat more efficient, though possibly heavier too) will reliably stop? 9mm para, or does one stand a chance against stuff like .357 magnum or .45 ACP?
Rockwolf66
Hero

svartalf wrote:

I know... as a general idea, what is the biggest caliber pistol that a police vest (I assume military grade armor might be somewhat more efficient, though possibly heavier too) will reliably stop? 9mm para, or does one stand a chance against stuff like .357 magnum or .45 ACP?

Alot of police officers wear vests made to protect against .44 magnum rounds. Class III body armor will stop up to five M-80 7.62X51mm NATO rounds. Thats the non-AP stuff. Still it's not much protection, as M855 or M-81 will punch right through.

you can find out more on US standards Here
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs
Svartalf
Champion

how about ammunition designation? you got me lost there, and I don't know a source that gives a good equivalency between US military code designation and what the corresponding ammo is.
Rockwolf66
Hero

svartalf wrote:how about ammunition designation? you got me lost there, and I don't know a source that gives a good equivalency between US military code designation and what the corresponding ammo is.

ok for 7.62X51mm NATO

M-60 is FMJ ball ammo. it's copper jacketed lead.
M-61is armor penatrating ammo. it's like the M-60 round but with a steel core to make deeper holes in things.

5.56X45mm
M-193 is ordinary ball ammo. it also fragments when it hits a target at under 200m.
M-855 is improved ammo useing the SS109 steel cored ammo. the wound track is nearly identical to the M-193 and the penatration is improved. it's used by just about everyone now days.

Sorry about the mixup in 7.62 designations
"Having met a few brits over here i wonder about them. The Military ones I met through my dad as a kid seem to be the most ruthless men on the planet..." -Steve Hobbs

Return to “Recon® & Recon® Modern Combat”